The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 to Apollo Twin Duo - Big improvement? Audio Interfaces
Old 28th February 2016
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 to Apollo Twin Duo - Big improvement?

Hi

If I upgrade to the Apollo Twin Duo from the Focusrite Scarlett will I hear a big improvement with my vocals or will it be a slight difference?

My room is fully sound treated and I have a great microphone. Even have another one arriving tomorrow.
Old 29th February 2016
  #2
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorgy View Post
Hi

If I upgrade to the Apollo Twin Duo from the Focusrite Scarlett will I hear a big improvement with my vocals or will it be a slight difference?

My room is fully sound treated and I have a great microphone. Even have another one arriving tomorrow.
I had an m audio fast track ultra (same League of the focusrite) then I upgraded to the apollo twin duo...

Night and Day.
Old 29th February 2016
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis95 View Post
I had an m audio fast track ultra (same League of the focusrite) then I upgraded to the apollo twin duo...

Night and Day.
Is that without adding effects?

What do you other guys think?
Old 29th February 2016
  #4
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorgy View Post
Is that without adding effects?

What do you other guys think?
Effects?
If you are referring to the uad plugins they do not make the sound of an audio card.

The apollo has MUCH better converters and preamps than the scarlett, even if you only playback a song from it you can hear it better.

There are tons of comparisons on gearslutz between the apollo and other audio cards, search for them.

The major improvement is definition (especially in the low end, no more muddy and boxy mixes).

You can compare it to an rme or an apogee maybe but surely not to the focusrite scarlett
Old 29th February 2016
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Can I get some more opinions please?
Old 29th February 2016
  #6
Here for the gear
 

bump.
Old 1st March 2016
  #7
Here for the gear
 

Wow, has nobody used both of these interfaces before.
Old 3rd March 2016
  #8
Here for the gear
 

I recently switched from the 2i2 to the Apollo Twin and it's not even close. No more latency issues and the sound quality is exceptional. Get the Twin, don't think twice.
Old 3rd March 2016
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Forgot to add, listening to anything now that the Apollo has been in use sounds better (or worse), meaning everything is more detailed playing back, prior mixes, etc. Add in the included plug ins and it's a no brainer!
Old 3rd March 2016
  #10
Here for the gear
I disagree that the Scarlett is in the same league as the M-Audio.

When I replaced my Delta-66 with a Scarlett 18i20 and heard the first sounds coming through it, I had to look up at my monitors to check that somebody hadn't replaced them with more expensive units. The Scarlett sounded so much better than the Delta.
Old 3rd March 2016
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Marando's Avatar
I have experience with the 2i2 and recently bought an Apollo Twin USB. The difference is seriously gigantic, the Twin beats it from start to finish.

I considered the SPL Crimson a big step up from the 2i2, didn't expect the Twin to be much better than the Crimson but it is. At least to my ears it is.
Old 4th March 2016
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
I have experience with the 2i2 and recently bought an Apollo Twin USB. The difference is seriously gigantic, the Twin beats it from start to finish.

I considered the SPL Crimson a big step up from the 2i2, didn't expect the Twin to be much better than the Crimson but it is. At least to my ears it is.
When you say the difference is gigantic, you're talking about with raw vocals right? No "effects" added to it on the way in, right?
Old 4th March 2016
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Marando's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorgy View Post
When you say the difference is gigantic, you're talking about with raw vocals right? No "effects" added to it on the way in, right?
Yes, the preamps are already a big improvement over the 2i2, even without the fabulous Unison plugins.

But it's not only the preamps that I think are a big improvement, it's as a whole a big improvement, simply listening to music reveals it has so much more clarity, depth, a more open soundstage and a better phantom image. The RTL latency is roughly 7ms at 24/96 at the lowest buffer size, which also happens to be stable. Good enough for my needs, better actually than my previous USB interfaces. But fair enough, I have never used an RME interface.
Old 5th March 2016
  #14
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
Yes, the preamps are already a big improvement over the 2i2, even without the fabulous Unison plugins.

But it's not only the preamps that I think are a big improvement, it's as a whole a big improvement, simply listening to music reveals it has so much more clarity, depth, a more open soundstage and a better phantom image. The RTL latency is roughly 7ms at 24/96 at the lowest buffer size, which also happens to be stable. Good enough for my needs, better actually than my previous USB interfaces. But fair enough, I have never used an RME interface.
Nice :P

Thanks for your response.
Old 5th March 2016
  #15
Lives for gear
 

I preferr the preamps on the Crimson to the Apollos. And while i find the Crimson usefull on instruments i never would use them for vocals, if i dont have to.
Old 7th March 2016
  #16
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
I preferr the preamps on the Crimson to the Apollos. And while i find the Crimson usefull on instruments i never would use them for vocals, if i dont have to.
You talking about the SPL Crimson?
Old 7th March 2016
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Marando's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
I preferr the preamps on the Crimson to the Apollos. And while i find the Crimson usefull on instruments i never would use them for vocals, if i dont have to.
For me it's the opposite, I believe the Apollo preamps are slightly better, and when you also use their unison enabled plugins, it's way more flexible than the Crimson. But as always, 100 people, 100 opinions. I guess that makes us unique and keeps things interesting.
Old 8th March 2016
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorgy View Post
You talking about the SPL Crimson?
Yes. I even hardly use my DI´s anymore . No additional line ins for external preamps , and no additional out for a second pair of headphones, is a no go on a small interface, if you ask me.
Old 8th March 2016
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
For me it's the opposite, I believe the Apollo preamps are slightly better, and when you also use their unison enabled plugins, it's way more flexible than the Crimson. But as always, 100 people, 100 opinions. I guess that makes us unique and keeps things interesting.
I would vote for a black Twin with extra line ins, and a second out for HPs on vacation. Whenever it gets released.

If the Arturia Audiofuse doesn´t deliver, what it promisses for a small interface .
Old 8th March 2016
  #20
Lives for gear
 
projektk's Avatar
 

I went from scarlett 18i20 to Apollo twin USB and its a huge difference in quality. Latency also seems like now I have none I can't even notice it anymore. I'm also going to get the black lion mod which from posts on here sounds similar to the blackface improvements.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump