The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mac Mini Age Question
Old 26th February 2016
Here for the gear

Mac Mini Age Question

I'm looking at a late 2012 Mac Mini with quadcore i7, 16G of RAM, 1T of HD (not specified if it's SSD or not). Or just looking at the newer models with dual core i7, 16G RAM and 1T of HD. The quadcore is attractive, but will the age of the machine cause problems?
Old 26th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottm757 View Post
I'm looking at a late 2012 Mac Mini with quadcore i7, 16G of RAM, 1T of HD (not specified if it's SSD or not). Or just looking at the newer models with dual core i7, 16G RAM and 1T of HD. The quadcore is attractive, but will the age of the machine cause problems?
Seriously doubt it, it's what I have been using since buying one new in 2013.mA quad core machine is better than any dual core IMO.
Old 26th February 2016
Here for the gear

I can't speak to the speed of the old quads vs. the new duos. I have a 2012 Mac Mini 2.6Ghz quad i7 with 16GB of RAM and the OS running on an SSD and the thing practically flies around the room. Lightening fast and very reliable. Handles large sessions (well large for me) with ease. I bought late 2013/Early 2014 and it still performs like a champ.
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitty View Post
I can't speak to the speed of the old quads vs. the new duos. I have a 2012 Mac Mini 2.6Ghz quad i7 with 16GB of RAM and the OS running on an SSD and the thing practically flies around the room. Lightening fast and very reliable. Handles large sessions (well large for me) with ease. I bought late 2013/Early 2014 and it still performs like a champ.
I have an identical Mac Mini and have the same experience, really fast and I haven't come close to maxing out yet.
Old 27th February 2016
I think the current mac mini is probably going to get updated relatively soon so I would hold off until they announce something. It's possible they might start doing quad i7 mac mini's again. I read somewhere that the reason they dropped them was because of some issues with a component suppliers or something along those lines. Not sure if that's true though; it's completely possible they just wanted to encourage professionals to buy the more expensive models. Either way it would be wise to wait and see what happens.

If you can't wait then I would try getting an apple refurbished 2012 one. And make sure you get the base model (without the upgraded HD and RAM) and upgrade it yourself. I got two of them for $579 a piece on the Apple website.
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

Talking "old Mac Minis "

I have a mid 2011 i7 quad/8GB Ram/dual internal 500G , 7200 RPM drives. It was the server model.
It has been in use daily, now updated to El Capitan.
Zero issues to speak of, although I did move my DAWs over to a 6 core custom PC when did the OS 10.11 update.
Running two external displays ( 27" Apple Thunderbolt / 27" HDMI ) FW audio ( A&H GSR-24M ) and two external drives.
Old 27th February 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

With respect to cost/performance ratio, the 2012 Mini has to be the best Mac ever. Having an internal SSD helps, though.
Old 27th February 2016
Gear Nut

I would buy one of the older quad cores if you need it now or wait until they release a new model probably with some variation of Skylake processors. The current mac minis are IMO not a good deal.
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

The 2012 with 4GB is . Definitely get 16GB RAM. Then it`s
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue monk View Post
The 2012 with 4GB is . Definitely get 16GB RAM. Then it`s
It's very easy to Install ram on a Mini. If it comes with 4gb just install 16gb's that's what I did.
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsotericMetal View Post
I think the current mac mini is probably going to get updated relatively soon so I would hold off until they announce something
Do you have any info on a possible release of a new model?
Old 28th February 2016
I bought NOS 2012 quad mac mini more than a year ago, upgraded ram and hdd, works flawlessly since. The fan comes in only during rendering, so it sits near my hand on the table and is basically silent. Oh, and the cost with the upgrades was less than similar 2015 model. There's also spare room for second hard drive, and it's the best port equiped mac ever (4 usb 3.0, firewire, thunderbolt, sd slot, hdmi, ethernet)
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post
It's very easy to Install ram on a Mini. If it comes with 4gb just install 16gb's that's what I did.
Yes, very easy. But you have to know that it makes a big difference and spend the 80$.
Highly recommended. I am pretty happy with my 2012 Quad Core i7 Mac Mini now that it has 16GB Ram.

Installing an SSD can be done DIY (see youtube) but I prefer someone at a Service Center doing that. I still have warranty and if you have 2 left hands...
Old 28th February 2016
Gear Nut

my mac mini 2012 has been great until Apple released LPX 10.2.1
Old 29th February 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicloon View Post
my mac mini 2012 has been great until Apple released LPX 10.2.1

What happened?
Old 29th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue monk View Post
Yes, very easy. But you have to know that it makes a big difference and spend the 80$.
Highly recommended. I am pretty happy with my 2012 Quad Core i7 Mac Mini now that it has 16GB Ram.

Installing an SSD can be done DIY (see youtube) but I prefer someone at a Service Center doing that. I still have warranty and if you have 2 left hands...
Ya preaching to the choir here, lol first thing I did after buying mine was install 2 SSD's and 16gb of ram right off the bat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Garcia View Post
What happened?
Ya ditto from me as well. I downloaded 10.2.1 and have used it and not had a problem.
Old 29th February 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Garcia View Post
What happened?
LPX 10.2.1 is very resource hungry, I'm getting CPU overloads for the first time since i bought the MM
Old 29th February 2016
Gear Head

I thought with the new core allocation setting it would be less so...
Old 2nd March 2016
Quote:
LPX 10.2.1 is very resource hungry, I'm getting CPU overloads for the first time since i bought the MM
What version of OSX are you on? I'm using 10.11.3 and 10.2.1 has been the smoothest version yet.
Old 2nd March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
What version of OSX are you on? I'm using 10.11.3 and 10.2.1 has been the smoothest version yet.
Same here. Very enjoyable actually. I must admit my choice of workflow would make it rare that I would max out my machine anyway, but still...have not noticed a decrease in performance with the latest Logic....if anything it is the opposite.
Old 2nd March 2016
Lives for gear

discovered a setting in my audio prefs in LPX
turn multithreading to "playback tracks"
business as usual
Old 2nd March 2016
Lives for gear

I've got that same model you're looking at.
It's fantastic and incredibly powerful. The hard drive is slow, so I have a friend who will upgrade it to an SSD for me. The rest is great. No problems with lack of RAM or processing power.
Old 2nd March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Do you have any info on a possible release of a new model?
No specific info, but the timeframe would suggest a new mac mini coming soon:

iPhone, iPad, Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy

What's Coming From Apple in 2016: Apple Watch 2, iPhone 6c, iPhone 7, Skylake MacBooks, and More - Mac Rumors

Quote:
The Mac mini was last updated in 2014, introducing Haswell processors and features like 802.11ac WiFi and Thunderbolt 2. Given that it's now been two years since the update, Apple could introduce new Mac mini models with Skylake processors in 2016. Two years is the longest the Mac mini has gone without a refresh.

Apple's Mac mini line uses the same U-Series chips that are found in the MacBook Air and the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, and Skylake chips appropriate for an updated Mac mini will be shipping in the first months of 2016. A new Mac mini may debut in early-to-mid 2015 alongside a refreshed MacBook Air and MacBook Pro.
Granted, the above is from a few months ago and is a prediction and not based on any official info as far as I know.
Old 3rd March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Only on older Mac Minis. Since 2015 ram is soldered in and no more sockets!
Old 3rd March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefellh View Post
Ya I know,if you bothered reading the quote you would have seen. We were talking specifically about 2012 machines as it was what we recommended and what I own.
Old 3rd March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's kind of off-topic but a good thing to know that they're soldering their RAM now. I hate that, Apple's prices for RAM are completely silly, and it's not like they make it themselves.

I guess I got lucky with my 2012 model. I'm eager to see what it will be like with an SSD
Old 3rd March 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
No specific info, but the timeframe would suggest a new mac mini coming soon:

iPhone, iPad, Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy

What's Coming From Apple in 2016: Apple Watch 2, iPhone 6c, iPhone 7, Skylake MacBooks, and More - Mac Rumors

Granted, the above is from a few months ago and is a prediction and not based on any official info as far as I know.
Hey, thanks of the links. Hopefully Apple will surprise.
Old 3rd March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ya I know,if you bothered reading the quote you would have seen. We were talking specifically about 2012 machines as it was what we recommended and what I own.
But I wanted to provide the information about soldered ram in newer Mac Minis in case someone reading the thread was thinking that it was still possible to add ram to newer minis.
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
But I wanted to provide the information about soldered ram in newer Mac Minis in case someone reading the thread was thinking that it was still possible to add ram to newer minis.
I get that except the way you worded it implied I had left something out, but like distorting said it was off topic from the subject . Older Mac Mini's which the whole thread has been about.

Anyways no hard feelings sometimes this stuff happens. You had good intent which is cool.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search