The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Babyface Pro With 2 Different Monitors? Monitor Controllers
Old 25th February 2016
Here for the gear

Babyface Pro With 2 Different Monitors?

hello, i'm sort of a noob with working on my babyface pro, but I would like to know if it would be possible to use 2 different sets of monitors with the babyface pro. I have a pair of HS8's & i'm acquiring a pair of auratone's from a friend, & would like to know how I can balance both while working. thank you
Old 27th February 2016
Here for the gear

bump
Old 27th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsongbeats View Post
hello, i'm sort of a noob with working on my babyface pro, but I would like to know if it would be possible to use 2 different sets of monitors with the babyface pro. I have a pair of HS8's & i'm acquiring a pair of auratone's from a friend, & would like to know how I can balance both while working. thank you
The simplest way would be to y-cord the outputs from the Babyface to the two sets of monitors. However, unless both sets of monitors have individual level controls, it is unlikely that the levels will match, and you will have to physically turn them off or on in pairs to isolate one or another set. Ideally you would use a monitor controller, such as the Presonus Central Station or Monitor Station, or Mackie Big Knob. There are lots of options, probably some cheaper, and some way more expensive. A monitor controller will also give you some more flexibility like talkback, cue send, etc.
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

I would probably try to connect additional pair of speakers using BF Pro headphone output.
It is possible to set up monitoring section Totalmix for use of two pairs of speakers (one will be fed from AN 1/2 - XLR and second from AN 3/4 - phones out, first can be assigned as Main Out and second as Main Out B). You can also offset the levels, use DIM and switch between your speakers.
If you need more flexibility and tactile control, then dedicated monitoring controller can be solution as Jim mentioned in previous post.

Michal
Old 28th February 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
I would probably try to connect additional pair of speakers using BF Pro headphone output.
It is possible to set up monitoring section Totalmix for use of two pairs of speakers (one will be fed from AN 1/2 - XLR and second from AN 3/4 - phones out, first can be assigned as Main Out and second as Main Out B). You can also offset the levels, use DIM and switch between your speakers.
If you need more flexibility and tactile control, then dedicated monitoring controller can be solution as Jim mentioned in previous post.

Michal
I think i may try to go this route, i can have the HS8s to the main OUTs & have the auratones linked with the headphone out, just need to find the right mogami cable for my pair, would i have to set it up on totalmix or is it that simple to just connect them & switch between?
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think i may try to go this route, i can have the HS8s to the main OUTs & have the auratones linked with the headphone out, just need to find the right mogami cable for my pair, would i have to set it up on totalmix or is it that simple to just connect them & switch between?
As I wrote before, to fully utilize all monitoring capabilities at Totalmix, like switching between main and alt pairs, volume adjustment, mono etc. You'll need to assign output AN3-4 (eg. headphones socket) as MAIN OUT B..
Ideally consult PDF manual from Babyface Pro or check some video tutorials for Totalmix.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...lJKInSXF_f8UB6
It is very powerful tool and if you aren't familiar with it, you can be missing significant advantages of your interface.

Michal
Old 29th February 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
As I wrote before, to fully utilize all monitoring capabilities at Totalmix, like switching between main and alt pairs, volume adjustment, mono etc. You'll need to assign output AN3-4 (eg. headphones socket) as MAIN OUT B..
Ideally consult PDF manual from Babyface Pro or check some video tutorials for Totalmix.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...lJKInSXF_f8UB6
It is very powerful tool and if you aren't familiar with it, you can be missing significant advantages of your interface.

Michal
looks like i'll go study the manual & see what I can learn to set it up, only thing i'm wondering is how to connect the auratones to the babyface via phones socket
Old 29th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
looks like i'll go study the manual & see what I can learn to set it up, only thing i'm wondering is how to connect the auratones to the babyface via phones socket

Are your Auratones original passive model or newer active clones (eg. Behringer, Avantone)?
If it is original passive model, you'll need also stereo amplifier besides the cables.
In case of active models.. you just need to get appropriate cable 3,5mm jack-> 2x TS 6,3mm cable.
What exactly do you have or considering to use?

Michal
Old 29th February 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:

Are your Auratones original passive model or newer active clones (eg. Behringer, Avantone)?
If it is original passive model, you'll need also stereo amplifier besides the cables.
In case of active models.. you just need to get appropriate cable 3,5mm jack-> 2x TS 6,3mm cable.
What exactly do you have or considering to use?

Michal
they're passive, so i'm probably going to purchase a bryston 2b amp or something cheaper on the market, & the amp will have to connect to the babyface via Phones Socket, im a noob at stuff like this, so I'm sorry if I come off a little ignorant on the subject lol
Old 29th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
they're passive, so i'm probably going to purchase a bryston 2b amp or something cheaper on the market, & the amp will have to connect to the babyface via Phones Socket, im a noob at stuff like this, so I'm sorry if I come off a little ignorant on the subject lol
For such second pair of alternative speakers like Auratones (which aren't exactly hi-end monitoring by its purpose) most of people happily reuse some older hi-fi stereo amp, it doesn't necessarily to be Bryston or something such fancy. Auratones aren't demanding speakers with regards to amplifier power.
Check what you already have at your house or maybe some used stereo amp (usually between 50-100USD) will be fine for that purpose.
From new ones, Alesis RA150 is pretty good for that usage and has very good price to value ratio.. IME
http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-RA-150-.../dp/B0000A1H8Z

These stereo amplifiers usually features RCA cinch line inputs, so for its connection to your Babyface, one jack->stereo RCA cable will be fine.
Like this..
6ft Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Male 22AWG Cable (Gold Plated) - Black - Monoprice.com
Finally you'll also need pair of some speaker cables.. again nothing fancy, standard AWG14 wire with length suitable for your setup.

Michal
Old 21st May 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:

Michal
Thank you Michal, this is a really elegant solution.

But I can't figure out how to set two different outputs from haedphones 3-4 in TotalMix.

My Headphones are plugged on phone 3 and they need to go on main output AN 1-2 in which my main speakers are connected. Another set of speakers is connected on phone 4 , and it would be cool if they can go on Main Out B in order to switch between two set of speakers.

Basically it should go like that:
Main output A (headphones+main speaker) and Main Output B (phone 4= another set of speaker).
Is it possible to do that?
Old 21st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackontheroad View Post
Thank you Michal, this is a really elegant solution.

But I can't figure out how to set two different outputs from haedphones 3-4 in TotalMix.

My Headphones are plugged on phone 3 and they need to go on main output AN 1-2 in which my main speakers are connected. Another set of speakers is connected on phone 4 , and it would be cool if they can go on Main Out B in order to switch between two set of speakers.

Basically it should go like that:
Main output A (headphones+main speaker) and Main Output B (phone 4= another set of speaker).
Is it possible to do that?
Hi,

it's not possible to use it like that.. BF Pro has four channel DA converter.
XLR male outputs are driven by its channels 1 and 2.
Two stereo headphone sockets are simultaneously driven (HP output stages are wired in parallel) by its channels 3 and 4.

Then in Total Mix, you can route playback signals to AN 1/2 and PH 3/4, you can assign those to Main, Main B or Phones for use with control room feature..
But you couldn't use different signals at two stereo jack connectors at BF Pro or individually mute it, these two are always parallel.

In another words, if you connect headphones to the first HP socket and another amp with speakers to the second HP socket, then those two will be always playing simultaneously.. You can turn off second speaker pair or disconnect headphones, when you don't want to hear it, but that's it.

Michal

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search