The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
USB Hub kills Ext HD. Looking for a new SSD.
Old 25th February 2016
Gear Head

USB Hub kills Ext HD. Looking for a new SSD.

Maybe.. although I'm pretty sure my external HD is kaput. I had my setup running well until I decided to get a USB hub for my laptop last week.

I guess it could've just been the drives time to go (few years old Toshiba 3TB), but when I tried to restart my laptop (Lenovo) with the USB hub still plugged in, it hung up on the restart to a black screen so I forced the shutoff. Then presumed dead after verifying a few things.

It was the plugable 7 port USB 3 hub, got it off Amazon. I had a , the Toshiba drive (ext powered), midi keyboard, running off it. I did notice with this USB hub it didn't have an off switch and it would keep the drive powered even after the laptop shuts down.

Anyways, can anyone recommend a good external SSD, preferably around 750gb min and USB3. What I had on it before was just my spitfire audio libraries, komplete, , other samples. Not going to be recording if that matters at all. And I definitely don't want to use this USB hub anymore. Any recommendations for a good one to get?
Old 25th February 2016
Gear Guru

I'm not sure if there is a simple device to test the polarity comming out of the pins
in a USB device. there are simple USB units which can show voltage and or amps
but they probably just wouldn't work if the polarity is wrong.

if the polarity (is) backwards on a USB hub, it could easily fry what is plugged in.
or maybe even your computers USB socket. it's rare but if you get one, you get one.

maybe someone else knows if there is a device.
USB is 500 ma @ 5 Volt so produce 2.5 watt.
that will get very hot very fast.
I'd be cautious about that hub.

samsung & Sandisk make pretty reliable SSD's. or even intel
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Head

Thanks for the response. I went ahead and ordered the new 1TB Samsung external SSD that just came out. I'll stay away from powered USB hubs from here on out, and just use a non powered one that gives me a few extra ports for my mouse and midi keyboard. Hopefully nothing gets fried.

I have 3 ports, 2 USB3 and 1 USB2. Have my Babyface and SSD on the two usb3 ports, and a small USB non powered hub on the other with my nanokontrol, mouse, and bus powered midi keyboard.
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Addict

If you have been switching computers try going back to last working one, maybe disk repair if it sees it. My drive will sometimes disappear and not show up.. needs to finish the handoff, something interrupted it (probably me). Good luck
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Guru

this is a unit worth having. this version (may) indicate polarity. but in any case
it's still worth having in your kit bag.

USB Hub kills Ext HD.  Looking for a new SSD.LCD USB Charger Mobile Power Detector Battery Tester Voltage Current Meter FE | eBay
Old 5th March 2016
Gear Nut

If you care about the data on the dead drive you can try removing the drive itself from the enclosure. They are usually just a standard SATA drive and there is a small controller in there that interfaces with the USB- that's the part that usually dies. So you might be able to take that drive and plug it into a normal PC or another enclosure and it will work again. And yes, crappy USB hubs can do this, I've seen it before.
Old 5th March 2016
Lives for gear

I just had 3TB Toshiba throwing smart errors at boot that it will die soon.

Just thought was interesting is same capacity and brand. Bout 2 years old.
Old 5th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra command View Post
Maybe.. although I'm pretty sure my external HD is kaput. I had my setup running well until I decided to get a USB hub for my laptop last week.

I guess it could've just been the drives time to go (few years old Toshiba 3TB), but when I tried to restart my laptop (Lenovo) with the USB hub still plugged in, it hung up on the restart to a black screen so I forced the shutoff. Then presumed dead after verifying a few things.

It was the plugable 7 port USB 3 hub, got it off Amazon. I had a , the Toshiba drive (ext powered), midi keyboard, running off it. I did notice with this USB hub it didn't have an off switch and it would keep the drive powered even after the laptop shuts down.

Anyways, can anyone recommend a good external SSD, preferably around 750gb min and USB3. What I had on it before was just my spitfire audio libraries, komplete, , other samples. Not going to be recording if that matters at all. And I definitely don't want to use this USB hub anymore. Any recommendations for a good one to get?
on a mac the exterior ssd trim is not supported, on a pc not sure but if this is so, this can screw things up , i believe correct me if you know but some ssd has maintence software for PC

i use samsung ssd with no issues all run interior on my mac
Old 5th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra command View Post
I think I know the hub you're talking about, I own it.

The plugable USB 3.0 hub (this, one specifically) is not suitable for USB 3. It is not capable of copying large files between USB 3 devices without glitching. It took me WEEKS to figure this out (many failed system backups). Easy to confirm if you experience the issue as well. From a command prompt do a copy of a few large files to/from a USB 3 drive connected to that hub, using the /V switch to validate the files:

copy /V *.m4p g:\temp

I use WD passport USB3 drives all the time. They're quite good for backups and file transfer. Have never used them as "live" drives for music production.

I don't have a recommendation for a GOOD USB 3 hub, by the way. My own solution to that problem was to install a VIA PCIe USB 3 card in that PC. (Lucky it was a desktop.) USB 3 sucks pretty hard, for lots of reasons. It's nice when it works, though.
Old 5th March 2016
Gear Addict

I have a Lenovo Desktop with only USB 2.0 ports. I tried plugging in a USB 3.0 Anker hub and got a black screen or it hangs on the splash screen. I unplug it, restart the computer, then plug it back in and no problems. I don't know if it is the Lenovo or the USB 3.0 hub in a 2.0 slot.

I solved it by using an old 2.0 hub and the Lenovo is happy. But your drive likely either died on it's own or it should work on another computer. Because my drives all worked fine on the 2.0. And the Anker hub works great on my HP laptop on a 3.0 port.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search