The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
An alternative to TX16Wx for layering drums Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 24th February 2016
  #1
Here for the gear
 
Ghost Dog's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
An alternative to TX16Wx for layering drums

I'm looking for a sampler with a price tag below 100 Euros, that can handle layered drums better than TX16Wx Pro.

TX is great in many ways, but handling many layers (velocities, round-robins) isn't really its strongest point.

I can't really afford Superior Drummer (especially since I'd have to give a lot of money for transportation and customs fees for something I'm not going to get a single cent back from), so I guess it's Drumdrops and inexpensive samplers.

Any ideas?
Old 24th February 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
 
G-Sun's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
I'm looking for a sampler with a price tag below 100 Euros, that can handle layered drums better than TX16Wx Pro.

TX is great in many ways, but handling many layers (velocities, round-robins) isn't really its strongest point.

I can't really afford Superior Drummer (especially since I'd have to give a lot of money for transportation and customs fees for something I'm not going to get a single cent back from), so I guess it's Drumdrops and inexpensive samplers.

Any ideas?
ReaSampleomatic5000
Old 24th February 2016
  #3
Here for the gear
 
Ghost Dog's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
ReaSampleomatic5000
I'm a REAPER user and I like its sampler, but I was hoping for something more convenient, to be perfectly honest.

(Single instance with multiple outputs.)

And, more importantly, once you start adding layers, ReaSamp starts using quite a bit of CPU as well.

I'm writing my own program that will facilitate the making of TX patches, but before I dig too deep into TX, I want to explore other options.
Old 27th February 2016
  #4
Here for the gear
 
Ghost Dog's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Bump.

Any more ideas?
Old 27th February 2016
  #6
Here for the gear
 
Ghost Dog's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Old 5th March 2016
  #7
Here for the gear
 
Ghost Dog's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
If I don't find a better way, I think I'm going to do it with 20-30 instances of Sforzando.

It'll be pretty easy to write a program that'll convert the TX matrices I made to SFZ format.

Come on, devs, give us an affordable sampler that's really good for drum layering.
Old 5th March 2016
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Musician's Avatar
TAL sampler is a drag for creating mappings, only one sample at a time can be imported! :face palm: Else I would use it dearly...
Old 5th March 2016
  #9
Gear Nut
Linplug RMV ($20)

You need to click the link through their facebook page as its no longer listed on the website,I picked it up a few weeks ago,its a steal for $20 even if its no longer supported but 64x works seamlessly,the GUI is a bit small but apart from that its great & comes with 1gb of samples & 1gb of loops(if you need'em),watch the youtube video below,it explains layering in detail & its pretty easy to do

https://www.facebook.com/LinPlug/posts/1576696712611495

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_d3-kmvaD4
Old 6th March 2016
  #10
Here for the gear
 
Ghost Dog's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdown View Post
Linplug RMV ($20)

You need to click the link through there facebook page as its no longer listed on the website,I picked it up a few weeks ago,its a steal for $20 even if its no longer supported but 64x works seamlessly,the GUI is a bit small but apart from that its great & comes with 1gb of samples & 1gb of loops(if you need'em),watch the youtube video below,it explains layering in detail

https://www.facebook.com/LinPlug/posts/1576696712611495

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_d3-kmvaD4
Thanks for reminding me of RMV.

But, reading the manual now, and it says it can layer up to 30 samples per pad (I need 100+) and I'm not seeing any round-robin/random triggering options anywhere?!
Old 6th March 2016
  #11
Gear Nut
Sounds like it wont fit your needs then,ah well good luck in your search,

What about redux??

Renoise Redux | Renoise
Old 6th March 2016
  #12
Here for the gear
 
Ghost Dog's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdown View Post
Sounds like it wont fit your needs then,ah well good luck in your search,

What about redux??

Renoise Redux | Renoise
Will have to look into it more closely.

Maybe it's the right choice for me - maybe not.

But I don't think I want Redux. I want TX16Wx with 32 stereo outs, that can handle a lot of really large files really well.
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
midiquestions's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
Will have to look into it more closely.

Maybe it's the right choice for me - maybe not.

But I don't think I want Redux. I want TX16Wx with 32 stereo outs, that can handle a lot of really large files really well.
Did you ever find anything that met your needs better than TX16Wx? I too wish it had more outputs, but I like everything else about it really well.
Old 6 days ago
  #14
Here for the gear
 
Ghost Dog's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by midiquestions View Post
Did you ever find anything that met your needs better than TX16Wx? I too wish it had more outputs, but I like everything else about it really well.
I found ARIA Player.
Old 3 days ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
midiquestions's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
I found ARIA Player.
I downloaded ARIA and a free sound bank. Really nice.

How does one go about learning to customize patches/SFZ for loading into it?
Old 3 days ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
midiquestions's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by midiquestions View Post
I downloaded ARIA and a free sound bank. Really nice.

How does one go about learning to customize patches/SFZ for loading into it?
And do you need some kind of license to make GUIs for these in ARIA? The proprietary nature of this is very confusing so far.
Old 3 days ago
  #17
Here for the gear
 
Ghost Dog's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by midiquestions View Post
I downloaded ARIA and a free sound bank. Really nice.

How does one go about learning to customize patches/SFZ for loading into it?
By modifying existing patches (I guess that would be the easiest way).

You can slo read about it (quite a bit) online, build patches from scratch etc ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiquestions View Post
And do you need some kind of license to make GUIs for these in ARIA? The proprietary nature of this is very confusing so far.
I would think that license is indeed need for making GUIs, at least when it comes to commercial use.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump