The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HELP!!! Corrupted files? Pro Tools/Logic Pro DAW breakdown and personal breakdown... Desktop Synthesizers
Old 18th February 2016
Here for the gear

HELP!!! Corrupted files? Pro Tools/Logic Pro DAW breakdown and personal breakdown...

I'm about to have a breakdown. All my important work seems corrupted on my external HD. Things don't exactly add up.

I got a new/used Mac Pro. While deleting files and making room to back up my whole iMac computer to be bootable I noticed pictures and videos getting distorted on the ex HD and having digital artifacts all of the sudden during the process.

I was moving my project back ups to my 2TB ex HD temporarily to make a bootable drive for cloning. (Realized I didn't even have to do that after the fact) during the backup from my small project backup to my big 2TB I was looking through files and deleting things I didn't need to make space on the big drive. During this process I noticed video and photos getting distorted and figured it was my computer being pushed too hard. (That's where I should have known to stop everything) After the back up finished I wiped small drive and loaded clone onto it. Cut to Mac Pro install. After I turned on the Mac Pro and it booted with no big issues (it recommended I swith the order of the RAM cards) I attempted to load a PT session and check out my new beast. I haven't been able to open any PT or Logic sessions from my big ex HD. I've gotten a few errors. Something about "Magic ID" and another about the PT reaching the end of something. Logic says minor data error.

Something about disk permissions and the internal disk itself needed repair. I figured I cloned a corrupted version so repaired iMac through install disks and everything checked out. Now I've realized it's not either computer anymore and that files on the ex HD are weird.

Did I possibly corrupt some, but not all, files but screwing around while the back up was happening? iTunes can play my music just fine from files only on the ex HD. All DAW sessions aren't loading and individual audio files distorted. Something doesn't seem right.

I did delete a few prefs off my iMac but they didn't have anything to do with PT or Logic.

I'm getting so overwhelmed I dkntnknow what else to say and need some opinions and advice (besides get a better back up system. I know that)

iMac is running SL 10.6.8 duo core. 2009 I beloeve.

Deer audio gods please save my projects. Data recovery has been no help.
Old 18th February 2016
Here for the gear

Holy smokes! So, here's the update. Spotlight was indexing the drive. I'm not sure what I did, besides erase a bunch of content, but it's been indexing for hours and hours until about now. My files are back to normal as far as I can tell. I repaired disk permissions on it last night thinking it would help it. Would that have made it need to reindex the drive? Also, why were the files temporarily corrupt? Because it hadn't put all the pieces together, yet? So weird. Would make sense, but I'd like to get the science behind it.

Here's my current problem, and maybe this has something to do with something. I'm still getting an error when repairing disk. Not permissions. Says I need to boot from the install disk and repair. I've done that with both the original OS X disk and the Snow Leopard disk. I haven't tried doing it with the applications disk, yet. Can anyone tell me what that sounds like?

I'm not sure if it says the same for the Mac Pro. I just got my sanity back. One thing at a time, folks!
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear

Good to hear.

So when you 'Verify Disk' using Disk Utility, it's given you the RED message after it's finished? You then use the original Install CD-Rom that contains your OS and start your computer up holding the 'C' key until you see the Blue or Welcome screen? Are you then running then same Verify but this time from the CD? On Snow Leopard?
Old 18th February 2016
Here for the gear

Well, I held option and chose the install disk. Same effect, yes?
Old 18th February 2016
Here for the gear

Btw, my Mac Pro checks out fine. Everything seems to work so far, minus a few plugs for Pro Tools. Currently looking for that fix.
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear
Could be bad disk sectors.
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Oakland View Post
Well, I held option and chose the install disk. Same effect, yes?
In SL, it is a common issue of the HD losing a few files every so often (usually 2). It may be something to do w/Desktop, Trash, Burns. Not really sure about how you described but that particular problem is only remedied by what I mentioned before regarding Disk Repair from the StartUp.

Glad everything else is working
Old 18th February 2016
Here for the gear

What are those files, usually? Is this fixable?
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear

It never says-just a Total File count and it's always off by 2, when it's off. I run a check about once a week.
My rig is pretty delicate so I don't even power off more than once a week
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search