The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me add more channels to my MR816x Audio Interfaces
Old 17th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Help me add more channels to my MR816x

8 channels isn't enough for tracking drums so I need to expand. Any suggestions on how or what I should buy? I need at least 2 more channels, 4 would be great. Quartet looks like it would be a nice way to go but it's pretty pricey unless one comes up used which doesn't happen often.

So, yeah, looking to add a few more channels to my MR816. Hit me with any suggestions you've got!
Old 18th February 2016
Deleted User
Focusrite OctoPre MkII Dynamic | Sweetwater.com
Compressors on every channel

or
Focusrite OctoPre MkII | Sweetwater.com if you dont need compressors on the channels

Or if your looking on the cheap
Behringer ADA8200 | Sweetwater.com

You could also grab a used UR824 or MR816X as well
Old 18th February 2016
You might be able to use a Yamaha n12 Firewire Digital Mixer!
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear

The ADA8200 is a great pairing for the MR816.
Old 18th February 2016
Gear Addict

I had a Yamaha N12 and a MR816CSX running together before I got a GS-R24M and I would deffinately recommend the pairing. I sold my N12 for $850 and the MR816 for $550 AUD on eBay so either can be bought second hand for a reasonable price.
Old 18th February 2016
Gear Maniac

I used to run an MR816X rig in tandem with Panasonic/Ramsa WZ series converters for a total of 16 channels I/O... Overall it was pretty good, but I remember a few quirks (some of which may have been addressed in subsequent firmware/driver updates) come mix-time when configured as hardware inserts:

--If I recall correctly the monitor volume control would affect all stereo output pairs, instead of being assignable to a single stereo out... Adjusting the monitor volume would affect the send volume to any hardware inserts... I think...

--The accumulated latencies for each unit were different -- meaning the 816 may have a round trip offset of 5 samples, whereas the Panasonics had 8. You could work around it by adjusting the sample offset per insert, but sort of annoying...

--Inter-sample drift will obviously be different for each unit, so I'd always try to avoid spreading any sort of phase coherent sources across both units -- any sort of parallel processing, even drum submixes to err on the side of caution. Knowing drums are your primary concern coming in, you may want to keep less prominent close mic'd channels -- like toms -- on the secondary unit.
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear

Your best bet is find another 816 on ebay. I used to run 3 of them on firewire.
I tried a few Adat units but didn't find their converters on par with the 816 for the price you can get an 816 for. Plus you'll have double the SPDIF in/out as a bonus, not to mention guarantied good pre's.
Old 18th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
Your best bet is find another 816 on ebay. I used to run 3 of them on firewire.
I tried a few Adat units but didn't find their converters on par with the 816 for the price you can get an 816 for. Plus you'll have double the SPDIF in/out as a bonus, not to mention guarantied good pre's.
This is just the thing I've gotten to thinking. I was kinda excited about adding something 'new' in to the setup and so I was thinking of all kinda of other options, but for the money the 816 can't really be beat (why I went with one in the first place!). I kinda wanted something thst has line ins also, but it really doesnt matter. Kind of a novelty at this point re ally, as the 816 does a fine job in providing clean conversion. So that's probably what I'll go with. It'll be either that or a quartet if I can spring for it.
Old 19th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcendentalist View Post
This is just the thing I've gotten to thinking. I was kinda excited about adding something 'new' in to the setup and so I was thinking of all kinda of other options, but for the money the 816 can't really be beat (why I went with one in the first place!). I kinda wanted something thst has line ins also, but it really doesnt matter. Kind of a novelty at this point re ally, as the 816 does a fine job in providing clean conversion. So that's probably what I'll go with. It'll be either that or a quartet if I can spring for it.
What I found out about the 816's is if you put the gain to 0 and the pad switch on, line in's become a non issue.
Old 19th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
What I found out about the 816's is if you put the gain to 0 and the pad switch on, line in's become a non issue.
yep, it's true. that's what i've been doing, it does work fine. kind of just a technical hang up for me that it doesn't have true line ins but like you say, in practice it doesn't matter.
Old 19th February 2016
Lives for gear

Where are all these bats that are buying your records.
Old 19th February 2016
Lives for gear

Or an UR824, that way you can switch to USB when needed.
Old 20th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Where are all these bats that are buying your records.
huh?
Old 20th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcendentalist View Post
huh?
Apparently bats have super human hearing. Like dogs.
Just a little joke as to the difference between a line in and a virtually non existing pre.
Old 20th February 2016
Gear Maniac

ah, lol. sorry for my confusion there. that one kinda slipped past me this time around i guess. i'll be ready for it next time!
Old 20th February 2016
Lives for gear

yeah get another mr816, they're pretty inexpensive used
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search