The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A small home studio with PC and Mic, same room
Old 2nd March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Trains and cars not withstanding, I don't agree this is the way to go. While you will be able to get the computer noise out of some of the recordings, you certainly will not be able to get the computer noise out of most of the recordings.

Reverb is correct - you mangle the source by cutting the noise. And not just guitar - but anything in that feq. spectrum.

Besides, even if you could properly treat the majority of the recorded audio, look at all the extra work and time you are creating for yourself in the long run.

Cheers.
To each their own. Punching holes in walls sounds like more trouble than a smidge of noise reduction to me. Just a suggestion!
Old 2nd March 2016
I laugh when I hear people are afraid to put holes in walls. Holes can ALWAYS be plugged up and fixed at any time. As an electrician for a living, cutting & patching sheet-rock, or other surfaces material where a hole, or cut-out needs to be made is a regular part of my work. If you don't own the place, you can ask the owner 1st, and vow that if they don't like your patch work, or don't trust it, you'll hire a professional ...or pay the owner to have it done, by way of an extra advanced deposit if desired.
I actually did a job where I traced wiring to a wall, below a sub-panel box. I told the owner that the wall will need to be cut opened in a particular spot, maybe less than a foot square. The guy was so freaked out about it...I do this all the time, and this DIP SH!T was actually a DRY-WALL guy! What a worthless pathetic f-ing loser!

Anyway Yeah, some good options have been suggested. I'm working on my own option currently, and that is with 'up to' FOUR loud PC's, which is far more of a challenge. For now, I'm going the route to isolate their noise by housing them in a large rack. As far as this being what was described above as an actual 'iso-box', it will end up being what it needs to be, by trial & error, and adding panels, or sealing as needed. If it ends up needing to have panels all the way around, and then properly ventilating it with forced air, then so be it. This will have to do until I ever get around to doing my room extension/expansion.
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Fractal case and Noctua Fan - if you can't afford or obtain these or similar products, then get your PC in another room and buy a wireless keyboard ( logitech's is fantastic and will work through walls. ).

I recently went from having a normal build to a build with Fractal case and Noctua fan and the difference is staggering - I can record in my room now without noticeable noise. Also, get an ssd hard rive - which further reduces noise.
Which fractal case are you using? Anyways I just bought Corsair 550D 2 months back and they don't take it back in my country after a week of purchase, unless it is faulty. But this case is really good in both ventilating as well as silencing. Some frequencies cannot be absorbed with these cases unless it is wooden and rock-wool built ISO box. But I can't afford it and being a small room, there might not be enough space.
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fogal View Post
I laugh when I hear people are afraid to put holes in walls. Holes can ALWAYS be plugged up and fixed at any time. As an electrician for a living, cutting & patching sheet-rock, or other surfaces material where a hole, or cut-out needs to be made is a regular part of my work. If you don't own the place, you can ask the owner 1st, and vow that if they don't like your patch work, or don't trust it, you'll hire a professional ...or pay the owner to have it done, by way of an extra advanced deposit if desired.
No our owners are freaking and scary guys, a small thing scares them up, like don't drill walls to hang our photos, placing indoor plants can bring insects, if my music will disturb neighbours, bla bla bla..

Even though, we drilled our photos.

But I already asked their permission to build my home studio and it needs lots of drilling small holes for an inch nails which they agreed on condition that I'll repair them and paint before I vacate this house. so I did.

But recently, we needed to make an extra hole for fixing a nail for a stand in kitchen. There was already a small hole done by owners, so we went ahead and drilled 1 centimeter next to it. But there was a water pipeline and it bursted. We had to do this repair. Now after this incident, I don't have guts to tell them I need a hole from one room to another. that would be my last day in this house.
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
Noctua NF-S12A ULN is the quietest I've heard yet
thanks for the suggestion. But at my country I can get only FLX version of this fan instead of ULN. Is it same?
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fogal View Post
There are some companies that make special cabinets, a sort of a 'sound booth' for your computer. You can even build one yourself, but there must be great attention to proper ventilation so you don't get over heating conditions. I myself am gearing up to do this very thing.
Yes, something like ISO box. I have also started thinking about this when I must do a proper rack for me in future. But I didn't find a knowledgable carpenter to do this for me at low price. And another thing stopped me thinking further was the space in my room and the ventilation. Still I have this in my mind.

thanks for your suggestion
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claborn View Post
I would go the other route and leave everything as is, record what you need and take out any noise with Noise Reduction plugins. If i can take out trains and cars out of poorly recorded film dialog, a pc fan should be no problem. Just be sure the mic is facing away from the pc when you record.
Thanks for your suggestion claborn. What plugin you are using that could remove vehicles sounds?

I'm already adjusting eq and noise gate to bring down the computer noise. But it depends on the object I'm recording. voice recording can be fine with little noise gate and eq where the vocal frequency is absent. But for something like foot taps, skinned percussions which are not a loud instruments get problem.
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
On my PC its 4 case fans 140mm Noctua NFA14 FLX and Cpu cooler on my i7 4790K is Noctua NH-U14S. Positive pressure based setup with Fractal R4 case. Very dry dead sounding studio room so any little noise sticks out but the PC is pretty damn quiet, just a gentle subtle smooth woosh of the slow spinning fans, strangely comforting in some ways.
thanks Arksun for sharing your idea and experience. I should see how to get this fan.
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
This doesn't work. Noise reduction plugins or drastic eq cuts, both of which I've wasted hours upon hours trying, simply drastically suck tone when it comes to music, especially with instruments like guitar.
Yes you are right, any plugins can do well only if it (noise) needs a minor adjustments.

thanks
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Head

Its that hum of the PC which records in the track, but even if it is very less, on situation that only one instrument should come in an intro music, it is audible because it is in another pitch than my music.
Old 4th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilnc View Post
thanks for the suggestion. But at my country I can get only FLX version of this fan instead of ULN. Is it same?
it's stands for Ultra Low Noise, they are specially designed to be the quietest and lowest noise possible, they are not the same, here's an example:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/120m...an-600-800-rpm

only 6.7-8.6dB! now that's quiet, compare this to the FLX which is 7.4-38.7dB, these are at minimum and maximum speeds.
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Head

Yes, it seems great fan. but unfortunately not in my country. :(
Old 4th March 2016
Quote:
Yes, it seems great fan. but unfortunately not in my country. :(
could you not import to your country? you could always use the FLX but keep it at the lowest speeds and I am sure it will be quiet enough for you! best of luck
Old 4th March 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
could you not import to your country? you could always use the FLX but keep it at the lowest speeds and I am sure it will be quiet enough for you! best of luck
thanks for the tip.
Old 5th March 2016
Quote:
Yes, something like ISO box. I have also started thinking about this when I must do a proper rack for me in future. But I didn't find a knowledgable carpenter to do this for me at low price. And another thing stopped me thinking further was the space in my room and the ventilation. Still I have this in my mind.

thanks for your suggestion
On your other comment "Freaking & Scary guys"

Just food for thought And I don't see why anyone couldn't build 'some sort' of an isolation box themselves. As I said in my case, I have 4 PC's, and if 'occasionally' all are going at once it's loud. But I'm doubting that I'll end up really needing to build a bona-fide 'true' ISO box.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search