The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Suggestions for higher end orchestral VI? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 17th February 2016
Lives for gear

Suggestions for higher end orchestral VI?

(Posted this in the composer's sub-forum, but there aren't many people there.)

I know this is probably a boring question by now, but I'm going to ask it anyway. It's time to upgrade from EW Quantum Leap Platinum because it feels old (well, it is), and more modern orchestral VI's seem more advanced and intuitive in their actual use. I'm doing a bigger budget score for an animated Star Wars-like short next month and I'm going to upgrade my entire orchestral library this week or next to start using and getting comfortable with it.

What I'm looking for is all-around speed and convenience of use combined with the most flexible and varied sound palette I can get without having to mortgage my house. I would say $2000 would be my limit, money-wise, for all sections combined.

I would prefer to use a single company's library (as opposed to different sections from different libraries) for consistency of sounds and ambience (unless I'm wrong about that), and also for overall ease of implementation for me. I'm not a studied orchestral arranger by any means, but many who I do work for with orchestras in it tell me I do a damn good job faking it (good ear?), which is why I need a library that makes things like transitions, divisi, etc., as intuitive as possible.

Opinions specifically for choosing a new library?

Last edited by noah440; 17th February 2016 at 01:47 AM..
Old 17th February 2016
Lives for gear

Since you're usng EW lib, you can try EW composer cloud offer @ 9000+ Instruments for $29.99/month

Another library you can check out:

Cinesamples @ https://cinesamples.com/category/orchestra or Cinesamples Core Bundle @ https://cinesamples.com/productBundl...ny-core-bundle
Old 17th February 2016
check out Spitfire audio and or 8dio.
Old 17th February 2016
Lives for gear

I'd visit the VI control forums. Those guys are mostly film score guys and will have lots of tips.
Old 17th February 2016
You cant go high end with 2000$. Very tight budget.
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
I'd visit the VI control forums. Those guys are mostly film score guys and will have lots of tips.

What/where are the VI control forums?
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah440 View Post
What/where are the VI control forums?
Here you go @ VI-CONTROL
Old 18th February 2016
Gear Nut

i haven't got it yet but i find this library very interesting
Metropolis ARK 1

you might also like Spitfire Audio libraries
Spitfire Audio
Old 18th February 2016
Gear Maniac

The EW Composer Cloud option is intriguing. From what I've read their "Play" sample player works better on the Windows platform. If your hardware can run Play well you're getting access to a massive and growing catalogue of sampled instruments for $30 a month. I'm considering this because I'm sure I blow at least $360 per year on libraries that I don't end up using.

If that isn't appealing, at your budget you are better off keeping the EW orchestra you've already got as your foundation and enhancing it with selected libraries. The Samplemodeling Trumpet, Trombone and Horn/Tuba packages are a no-brainer. I would also consider the Embertone solo string libraries. The Native Instrument Symphony Series Brass and String libraries are also worth a look.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search