The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Making replaced drums sound more real(Steven Slate samples)
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Addict

Making replaced drums sound more real(Steven Slate samples)

The first clip is completely dry. No EQ or compression, some abuse of an L2 on the 2-buss: http://www.cherryhillrecording.com/mp3/Without.mp3

Here are the drums replaced with the Steven Slate drums. The original room mics were left in but I got compressor-stupid and it's too squashed. Also added some Altiverb: http://www.cherryhillrecording.com/mp3/With.mp3

The drums are replaced with Drumagog. Any tweaking tips you guys could offer to make it sound more real?
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

excellent stuff Andrew! from my crappy laptop speakers, the second clip with the samples reminds me a bit of Nirvana In Utero. Overall, a pretty miraculous before and after.

Here are some thoughts:

I wouldn't put an L2 on anything with a transient unless it was about .5db at the very final mastering stage.

It sounds like you need to smooth out your room and overhead mics. Try cutting some of the low from the overheads and maybe some low mids.

For the samples, make sure you put all of the hits in drumagog and set it on random multisamples. You may very well have done this because it sounds pretty great.

What kick snare sets are these? Snare a Z2? I really think it sounds great and you have a hell of a start, I bet smoothing out those cymbals a bit will make this drum track killer.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear
Wow! Those Steven Slate samples really made a big difference, huh!?

My only complaint is that some of the samples seem like they were triggered out of time compared to the original tracks. Kind of a messy rhythm issue on some of the faster fills and things. Myself and others had noticed this on some of the sample demos that they put up for the product as well. I wonder if Drumagog has trouble nailing the trigger spot sometimes? I guess it's more likely that these fantastic samples are just pointing out all the little quirks in the original playing. Seems like you'll have to go in and manually nudge a few hits around anyway. Anyone else hear that?

halcyo
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Wow, now I just listened to Andrew's samples on my Proacs. Again, kinda In Uteroish. Is that snare 4?

As for timing, I didn't hear that much problems but I'd make sure that Drumagog is at 4.09 and that the advanced tab has the detail towards the right, as well as auto align on snare.
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks, Steven. It was kick 6, Snare 2a replaced 100%. Drumagog is set on Advanced, dynamic tracking somewhere around 70%, and the detail slider is almost all the way to the right. It's version 4.09 and each track's Drumagog was set optimized for the drum (bass drum for bass drum snare for snare)
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Addict

Here's a different part of the song. Reduced the compression, rolled off quite a bit on the crash and ride (700hz, they were also panned center in the last clip). Towards the end of these clips, drumagog isn't quite picking up the rolls. This is only like my 5th or 6th time really sitting down with Drumagog though, so I probably haven't tweaked it properly. Is the positional multisamples a GOG only only thing? I can't seem to check the box in 4.09...?

Also, anybody listening to this with a sub? Listen how weak the original kick is compared to the replaced one

www.cherryhillrecording.com/mp3/Without_new.mp3
www.cherryhillrecording.com/mp3/With_new.mp3
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew07 View Post
Also, anybody listening to this with a sub? Listen how weak the original kick is compared to the replaced one
Of course it'll sound weak compared to a fully mix ready compressed and EQ'd kick, haha.

That being said, it sounds good! A little strange and dark sounding though, probably just the MP3 compression, yuck.

Steven's samples rule ass.

Old 1st February 2007
Gear Addict

Holy Moly! Thats quite a difference Andrew! Good sounding drums!! I have Steven's samples too and get similar results but its still pretty amazing every time you hear an A/B. It makes me a bit less jealous of all the big radio mixers. When i met with Steven he played some of my stuff on his system which has a sub and it made a huge difference. I got a Blue Sky 2.1 system and between that and the samples, my mixes are about 90% there.

The rolls I've found to be really hard with any drum replacement, so I go in and do it manually.

What kind of Altiverb reverb did you use. Or are those the Z2 samples?
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

A tip someone might find helpful:

If you are using a samlpler or sample playback engine that allows you to adjust the sample playback start position or volume envelope ADSR parameters (and even better if you can automate them), try altering these just a bit (a few milliseconds) on different/successive hits for more variation.
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Addict

I haven't even started going thru the snare rolls on the disc yet. How are you guys using these for rolls? Or are you using the regular hits and pasting them for the rolls?
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Andrew, when I see an actual buzz roll like part, I just paste the rolls onto an adjacent two tracks and match them to the original rolls. I will even chop up the rolls and use them as ghost rolls between hits. Once you get used to it, it doesn't take more then ten minutes to do a whole 3:30 song.

I just want to say how fantastic your before and after sounds, great work. What Altiverb impulse you using?
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks for all your help, dude. I've since switched impulses so I can't remember exactly which sample I used on that clip. I was switching between Auditorium, Wooden medium room 1,2,&3, and the middle 3 drum presets. I didn't do any tweaking really, just slid the 'reverb time' knob to taste. Then I had Sonalksis EQ after the reverb taking out a big chunk of bass and low mids.
Old 2nd February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR View Post
try altering these just a bit (a few milliseconds) on different/successive hits for more variation.
I thought the idea of this set was 'consistency', not variation?
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

you can have consistent punch and impact while still having variation

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search