The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Linux Laptop with relatively clean stereo in
Old 16th February 2016
Gear Head
Linux Laptop with relatively clean stereo in

Hey,

I need to start recording and organizing all the bits of work I've done on my analog gear and am looking for a laptop with a stereo line in. I'd like to run Linux on it.

Doesn't have to be amazing, I know built-in soundcards aren't ideal, just want the convenience. As long as there's no harsh buzzing from badly shielded cables or something I don't mind.

The inputs on my late 2011 Macbook Pro are perfectly acceptable, but it's my work computer.

Love the old Thinkpads but I can't find any with a line in (unless I'm misssing something obvious). Is there anything you guys can recommend for under $500 or so?
Old 16th February 2016
This link might be helpful:
Linuxmusicians.com
Old 17th February 2016
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavadisco View Post
This link might be helpful:
Linuxmusicians.com
Thanks! Been ending up on a lot of posts from this forum during my googling on the subject, and it seems to be full of helpful info.
Old 17th February 2016
Oli
Lives for gear

I use Linux for my daily computing, but not usually for music. Do you have specific reasons for using Linux?

Quote:
Originally Posted by green diver View Post
... I know built-in soundcards aren't ideal, just want the convenience. As long as there's no harsh buzzing from badly shielded cables or something I don't mind...The inputs on my late 2011 Macbook Pro are perfectly acceptable, but it's my work computer.
Cheap laptop audio can be surprisingly bad. At least consider a used USB audio interface. You can check for Linux support. Anything with class compliance should be fine. Mac laptop audio is generally above average - these are not cheap after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green diver View Post
Is there anything you guys can recommend for under $500 or so?
I recently bought a used laptop (I don't generally recommend this). I just looked for decent deals in local classifieds, and then checked for Linux compatibility for the short listed items.

A few more links (I haven't used these extensively):

LinLap.com [Linux Laptop Wiki]
Linux on Laptops
electro-music.com :: View Forum - Linux as a music workstation

There are some laptops specifically made available with Linux support, though I think these tend to be a bit rarer/more expensive.
Old 17th February 2016
Lives for gear

You're probably best figuring out what hardware is compatible and go from there.
Old 18th February 2016
If you install Linux on a seperate disk you can use your MBP. Depending on the model the i/o on the MBP doubles as a digital input! (SPDIF)
If you'd like a seperate computer, a regular laptop will do. Regular audio inputs are mostly compromised. (don't look funny if you pick up RFI) Get nice seperate converters. USB powered and then it's just one cable.
RME, United Audio, SPL, Edirol, Focusrite... lots of choices.

thread moved
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search