The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Static noise from XLR(?) cables Audio Interfaces
Old 16th February 2016
  #1
Gear Head
 

Static noise from XLR(?) cables

Hi guys, I'm hearing static from my XLR cables.

I can hear computer sounds as I browse websites as well, when a page is loading, it would play some sounds like "zzt zzt zzt" until the page is finished loading.

Turntable is plugged into the mixer via RCA
mixer is linked to my AI via XLR
my AI is linked to my computer via USB.

I have moved my mixer's power cables away from my XLR, no change.

The culprit may be... that I have all my cords plugged into one outlet. I will update after checking.

EDIT: THIS IS THE SOUND, HEADPHONE PLUGGED INTO THE HEADPHONE JACK OF THE 2i2.
http://picosong.com/hYSv/

Last edited by CrabPirate; 17th February 2016 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: Update
Old 16th February 2016
  #2
Here for the gear
 
sounds_easy's Avatar
Hey mate,

Mixing balanced and unbalanced cables (XLR & RCA), is often a recipe for hums and buzzes...

What type of audio interface are you running? Could possibly be the USB port you are using on the computer...
Sometimes plugging into a different USB bus will solve it...

Hope this helps!
Old 16th February 2016
  #3
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounds_easy View Post
Hey mate,

Mixing balanced and unbalanced cables (XLR & RCA), is often a recipe for hums and buzzes...

What type of audio interface are you running? Could possibly be the USB port you are using on the computer...
Sometimes plugging into a different USB bus will solve it...

Hope this helps!
The XLR are the ones I had available, I supposed I could pick up other cables.

I'm running the Focusrite 2i2 into USB. I'll try a different port my man.

EDIT: Tried a different port, same deal. Recommend me new cables.

THE SOUND : http://picosong.com/hYSv/
Old 16th February 2016
  #4
Here for the gear
 
sounds_easy's Avatar
Ah.. actually, probably not the cables as you are sending a balanced line level out of the mixer into your 2i2 (I assume?) Basically if you connect an unbalanced output to a balanced input, that can introduce unwanted noise.

If you try listening through the headphone amp of the 2i2 and still hear the noise then it's definitely not the cables...
Old 16th February 2016
  #5
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounds_easy View Post
Ah.. actually, probably not the cables as you are sending a balanced line level out of the mixer into your 2i2 (I assume?) Basically if you connect an unbalanced output to a balanced input, that can introduce unwanted noise.

If you try listening through the headphone amp of the 2i2 and still hear the noise then it's definitely not the cables...
Then what is it??? I don't need to get new, balanced cables?

THE SOUND : http://picosong.com/hYSv/
Old 17th February 2016
  #6
Gear Head
 

BUMP!
Old 17th February 2016
  #7
Here for the gear
 
sounds_easy's Avatar
Whoa! that sounds nasty! Do you hear that through your headphones when plugged into the 2i2?
Old 18th February 2016
  #8
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounds_easy View Post
Whoa! that sounds nasty! Do you hear that through your headphones when plugged into the 2i2?
Yeah it's pretty rough, right?

I hear it plugged into the 2i2 AND my speakers plugged into my computer!
Old 19th February 2016
  #9
Gear Head
 

Close this mother ****ing thread, IT WAS MY GROUND CABLE, I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS AN ACTUAL SCREW THING ON MY MIXER.

I asked the clerk at the local record store. THANKS ANYWAY!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump