The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee vs. Lynx opinions
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Maniac

Apogee vs. Lynx opinions

Hey all,

I'm looking to get into some new AD/DA, and I've trying to decide between the Apogee Symphony/AD&DA16 or the Lynx AES16/Aurora16 combos. Since my computer is PCIe, the Apogee has been my only option...but it looks like Lynx is finally going the PCIe route later this year.

As far as the actual converters go, I like the Aurora. Both units are great...it's just for my purposes, I don't know if the Apogee is $3000 greater, y'know?

So my question isn't really around the converters, but the PCIe cards themselves. As a heavy Logic user, the logic integration built into the Symphony system is very attractive to me. Does anyone have hands on experience with both units (assuming the Lynx PCIe card will work the same as the PCI version) preferably using them with Logic Audio? Can you post any opinions on the matter? I love the idea of the Apogee system, but that's a pretty huge price difference. Any opinions/info on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Chris
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

my opinion is that the Aurora/Big Ben combo is just about the best sounding A/D/A setup you can get. I've even compared it to Lavry Blue, still like the Aurora/Big Ben.
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Maniac

...and I would love to go with the Aurora. That's definitely where I'm heading.....I'm just curious how the AES16 card integrates with Apple/Logic. Anyone have any ideas?

What (if any) advantages does a Logic user get with Symphony?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search