The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
POWERBOOK G4 NEED MORE POWER!!!!!!
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

POWERBOOK G4 NEED MORE POWER!!!!!!

I"m running LOGIC Pro on a 1.67 POwerbook G4. Ram is maxed out at 2 GB. what else can I do? How can i get more proccessing power? can Ram be mounted externally? can I network another Mac??? What do you know that I don't?
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Powerbooks are all slow by today standards. Considering that G5s never made it to laptops.. the later G4 Powerbooks were even still very underpowered for the $$. Now with the Intel laptops.. they are smokin fast.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

you can node another computer via ethernet for extra processing in Logic, but a better solution, if you're talking about extra computers, would be to simply upgrade your computer itself. From a G4 to an Intel mac is a 2 generation jump. Depending on what kind of music you're doing, you may have simply hit the wall with your current hardware.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

How feasible is to upgrade components in a laptop? Also, what what about connecting other computers..... I have 2 G3's with about 1.5 gb of ram in the two? Is there software that is needed to network the MAC's together?
Old 31st January 2007
mds
Lives for gear

Component upgrades in laptops are pretty limited. If you've maxed the ram, you're pretty much done. CPUs are soldered in, so no upgrade there...you could get something like the Metric Halo 2882 with the DSP. Then you could get plugs happening out of the box. There are other external DSP boxes like it...I think the saffire has DSP, and the liquid mix does this sorta thing to, from what I understand...
Old 31st January 2007
Having played with a G4 PB a little for a week or so, I would say, do NOT try to pour more money into it.

It was a slow machine when it came out (at least compared to my own, similar vintage, much cheaper, much faster Dell Centrino, which is still running strong, even though the PB died about 8 months ago) and by today's standards... it's a door stop.

Save your money and buy a MacBook.

In fact, the PB I mention above was replaced with a MB and it's a much, much more capable machine, though I do have to say it doesn't seem as fast as I thought it would from the early processor speed tests I saw and the fan kicks into high at odd times, say, like just playing back an AAC with nothing else going on (which I "blame" on the really tiny form factor). But it's a very cute little machine and, by my estimation, 3 or 4 times the machine as the 800 mHz PB I used.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search