The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roundtrip latency with Focusrite Clarett range on Logic Pro X Audio Interfaces
Old 14th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Roundtrip latency with Focusrite Clarett range on Logic Pro X

Hi,
I wonder if there is anyone here that has Focusrite Clarett 8 or perhaps any interface of the Clarett range and is using it with Logic Pro X. Could you please reply here what latency Logic reports in the Audio preferences for the interface when used with 24 bit 44.1 or 48 Khz recording. I'm thinking about changing my audio interface which on 128 samples latency reports 11.7 ms roundtip. Even on 32 samples, which is pretty much unusable because the load on CPU the roundtrip latency is 7.09 ms. On Focurite performance page https://global.focusrite.com/clarett...ndtrip-latency they claim that with Logic Pro X on 128 samples the roundtrip latency is 6.55 ms which sounds almost too good to be true.

Thanks
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yore View Post
Hi,
I wonder if there is anyone here that has Focusrite Clarett 8 or perhaps any interface of the Clarett range and is using it with Logic Pro X. Could you please reply here what latency Logic reports in the Audio preferences for the interface when used with 24 bit 44.1 or 48 Khz recording. I'm thinking about changing my audio interface which on 128 samples latency reports 11.7 ms roundtip. Even on 32 samples, which is pretty much unusable because the load on CPU the roundtrip latency is 7.09 ms. On Focurite performance page https://global.focusrite.com/clarett...ndtrip-latency they claim that with Logic Pro X on 128 samples the roundtrip latency is 6.55 ms which sounds almost too good to be true.

Thanks
I just got a Clarett 4Pre. I don't have Logic installed at the moment so I can't get back to you with exact Logic figures right now, but I can offer my thoughts on how the Clarett compares to my Scarlett 6i6 on my computer using Studio One for latency figures.

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro i7. It's not really fast, it's not really slow. It's on the good side of average in the power department you could say.

At 44.1, with a buffer of 32, using the Scarlett 6i6, Studio One was reporting
3.72ms in + 3.02ms out for a total of 6.74ms.

At the same settings, using the Clarett 4Pre, Studio One was reporting
2.24ms in + 1.45ms out for a total of 3.69ms.

There is an improvement of of roughly 3ms. I don't have the rest of the buffer figures in front of me, but the general improvement at each buffer setting was right around 3ms. Those 3ms becomes less and less meaningful the higher you raise the buffer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search