The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Spitfire Solo Strings vs Trio Broz? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 12th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Spitfire Solo Strings vs Trio Broz?

Been looking into getting a good solo strings library bundle in the approx. $250 range, and am leaning toward either Spitfire Solo Strings or Fluffy Audio's Trio Broz bundle.

Does anyone have and use both? Any thoughts on how these two libraries compare? Looking at playability and reasonable articulation control in real time. I'm just a piano player, and would like to keep the post-creation MIDI design stuff to a minimum if possible.

I am wowed by the expressive playability of the Sample Modeling Viola, as seen on the demos, and would probably go that way if they had violin, viola and cello instead of just the viola.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12th February 2016
Gear Addict
I have and like the Spitfire Solo strings, but it is an older library with less flexibility than the newer libraries on the market (including the newer Spitfire Sacconi Quartet that is rolling out). The Sacconi is pretty playable, with a minimum of fuss and post-paying controller editing needed (check out Andy Blaney's demos). I don't have Trio Broz. Harmonic Subtones' Emotional Cello is about the best cello at the moment (IMO), and is reasonably playable but will require some editing and decision making on your part (other solo strings to follow, apparently).

By far, the most easily playable one is the new Virharmonic Bohemian Violin (cello soon to follow, with others in the pipeline):

Bohemian Violin

It uses what might be called artificial intelligence to figure out from your playing what kind of feeling the current not should have (where it is in the phrase) and switch to the appropriate next note intelligently as soon as you play it, with the best kind of legato/bowing etc, the right dynamic, and the right "arc" or note shape, including vibrato. I think that you can get better results with this library just by playing in your line than with any other library available. It is my top recommendation for you given what you wrote about what you want.

If you are willing to do some editing, Emotional Cello is very nice and probably has the best balance between available articulations and sound colors vs. complexity of use (VSL Solo Strings are also powerful, but require a huge amount of editing). The Spitfire Sacconi Quartet is not too hard to get good results from, and I prefer it to the older Spitfire Solo Strings, which do only a few things, but do them well. I am excited about the SampleModeling Viola, but I haven't gotten convincing results out of it yet, even with lots of editing.

There are lots of in-depth discussions about all of these libraries over at vi control, if you want more information and perspectives. There are also some discussions of them here at GS if you do a search.
Old 13th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the reply, and especially for pointing me in the direction of the Sacconi volumes, which I hadn't been familiar with. I watched a Cello demo, and was very impressed, the marcato in particular I thought was quite good.

I do lurk over at VI Control, and have also done some domain-specific google searches (including here), but have yet to find a discussion of how the Trio Broz solo set, specifically, stacks up against some of the others.

Part of my issue is I want top-tier quality at a 2nd or 3rd tier price point lol, hoping to find a proverbial "diamond in the rough" in the realm of solo orchestral strings. This is often possible to do with software in general, and sometimes with VIs, sample libraries and plugs (Indiginus, Valhalla i.e.) you can find amazing quality/price ratios. But with the high-end orchestral stuff, it does seem like you get what you pay for, and that the prices aren't as fluid as soft products can be in other areas...
Old 20th May 2016
Here for the gear

Some hands on feedback on the Sacconi Library. The measured tremelo is pointless because the "sync to tempo" option isn't available. I have issued this over two months ago to Spitfire support and got a updated patch with the "sync to tempo" checkbox but it still doesn't sync to my DAW or Kontakt. Also the violins have a bug with their Close and Ribbon mikes where the panning options only work for the first note in legato (performance patch) and the switch back to left side. Quite unusable and sloppy programming for this price range.
Old 19th February 2017
Here for the gear
What did you end up going for? Did you check out the CS Tina guo legato cello, or the Macabre strings? Im undecided what emotive stings to buy. I usually stick to Spitfire stuff but can't find that singular crying cello or violin from them. The Tina Guo sounds pretty great to my ears
Old 19th February 2017
Gear Nut

LASS 1st chair Strings $199. LASS First Chair 2
Old 21st February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeyboy29 View Post
What did you end up going for? Did you check out the CS Tina guo legato cello, or the Macabre strings? Im undecided what emotive stings to buy. I usually stick to Spitfire stuff but can't find that singular crying cello or violin from them. The Tina Guo sounds pretty great to my ears
I've been suffering from SAS (strings acquisition syndrome LOL) over the past year.

I did get Trio Broz. It's OK, but not sure I don't have buyers remorse. I dislike that it's all monophonic except for the shorts, and the samples seem somewhat inconsistent when switching articulations. Very nice tones though. I like the cello and the viola better than the violin. I may yet like it more if I can ever develop a good rapport with it in terms of playability. But after that I got both PragueSounds Solo Strings and Kirk Hunter Spotlight Solo Strings (sales), and in retrospect I feel like I would have been better off saving money and getting GREAT solo strings instead of looking for deals... But none of these libraries are terrible, and they all add another color to the palette.

For emotional character? I do have Tina Guo, got it a while back when it was only $59 on sale, and it's AWESOME. Tremendous warmth and depth right out of the box. Most beautiful v-cello I've ever heard or played. But it's a one-trick pony, limited to slower, legato or at least legato-like passages. Highly recommended for that.

Also, I grabbed 8Dio's Adagietto and Agitato collections when they went on 70% blowout. They are quirky but really soulful and definitely "emotive"... Last I checked they are still up on the end of life sale, even though they were going to expire at the end of 2016. Worth checking out before they disappear forever.

And now I'm tripping on whether to get the Embertone $199 deal... 2 days left... Not to mention the new Spitfire LCO... Waiting for walkthroughs for this, but the demos are phenomenal.

I've long been interested in possibly getting Strezov's Saint-Saëns inspired Macabre Solo Strings one day. Yes, they definitely seem to have that emotive sparkle, though again, the trade-off is that both the range and playable options are more limited.

If I could do it over, again, I should have saved more money and gotten one of the Spitfire offerings (Saconni or SCS) instead of Trio Broz. Spitfire or else Chris Hein, or else the Embertone. That sale price is really tempting...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search