The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I Find the Alge Plugins Unusable. Is my Approach At Fault?
Old 12th February 2016
Gear Head

I Find the Alge Plugins Unusable. Is my Approach At Fault?

CLA has had more success than I will ever even be able to imagine. I don't, for I would be a fool to do so, question his talents and his (obviously) uncanny ear. But I have not been able to connect in any way--though I've tried and tried--with the Waves CLA plugins.
Has anyone else felt the same way, only to have discovered that their approach to the plugins required a rethinking?
Old 12th February 2016
Lives for gear

I've gotten some use out of them, but not for their intended purpose. Since I'm doing mainly film scores, I have little need for dedicated processors for "backing vox" or "rhythm guitar", but I got all the CLA plugs when I bought the Mercury bundle on sale a while back. When I was just fiddling around and checking out the zillions of plugins I'd probably never use, I found that some of them were good one-stop processors for various synths, hybrid sounds, and orchestral effects type things. Some of the ones that have sort of micro-pitch doublers and mid-range focused eq curves were surprising when applied to some of the murky, washy sounds I use in my scores, and gave me a little more radical sound-shaping than I might have done if I was chaining a bunch of "normal" plugins. So in that sense I was not too angry that I have a bunch of those CLA plugins cluttering up my Waves folder. It's not like I use them all the time in a rock mixing template or whatever, but having them around when I know that a certain sound needs some juice (but I'm not sure if it needs pineapple or guava) can be useful.

That said, in my situation I would not have bought them unless they came as part of a bundle that had other stuff I wanted.
Old 12th February 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
I've gotten some use out of them, but not for their intended purpose. Since I'm doing mainly film scores, I have little need for dedicated processors for "backing vox" or "rhythm guitar", but I got all the CLA plugs when I bought the Mercury bundle on sale a while back. When I was just fiddling around and checking out the zillions of plugins I'd probably never use, I found that some of them were good one-stop processors for various synths, hybrid sounds, and orchestral effects type things. Some of the ones that have sort of micro-pitch doublers and mid-range focused eq curves were surprising when applied to some of the murky, washy sounds I use in my scores, and gave me a little more radical sound-shaping than I might have done if I was chaining a bunch of "normal" plugins. So in that sense I was not too angry that I have a bunch of those CLA plugins cluttering up my Waves folder. It's not like I use them all the time in a rock mixing template or whatever, but having them around when I know that a certain sound needs some juice (but I'm not sure if it needs pineapple or guava) can be useful.

That said, in my situation I would not have bought them unless they came as part of a bundle that had other stuff I wanted.
Thank you sincerely for the excellent response.
Old 12th February 2016
Gear Maniac

the vocal one is really useful and speedy at times for quick demos/guides etc... and the bass can be really great for a mult channel, something gritty but again it's mostly for speed I use them...

the drum plugin I never liked and personally found a little thin, and just a bit 90's sounding...

overall I think the manny ones are cooler and more fun, but again I rarely use them on much just occasionally when trying (or struggling) with making something cut through...
Old 6th July 2016
Gear Head

As the OP, I wanted to post that, just now, after suffering (not hyperbole) for days with trying to get my vocals to sound the way I wanted them to, I thought, "Okay, what the hell, let me try this CLA plugin again"--and voila, I was able to get them dialed in right away with the most minimal of tweaking to one of CLA's presets.
I am thankful.
Old 6th July 2016
Gear Maniac

For those of us who don't know, what are these plugins? Are they like EQ/compressor?
Old 6th July 2016
Gear Nut
I've had more luck with the JJP plugins than the CLA. Sometimes I use them for a quick way to give a shy vocalist some false confidence while tracking, then I'll pull it off during the mix process.

I'm also not necessarily convinced that CLA uses his own plugins, and if he does, I'm sure he's using them in his multi-million dollar studio in conjunction with about a ton other high-end gear. He may have had some hand in the sig. series, but I'm sure he didn't mastermind all of it. Does Michael Jordan wear Hanes brand underwear? Who knows?

-Daz
Old 6th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by H61 View Post
As the OP, I wanted to post that, just now, after suffering (not hyperbole) for days with trying to get my vocals to sound the way I wanted them to, I thought, "Okay, what the hell, let me try this CLA plugin again"--and voila, I was able to get them dialed in right away with the most minimal of tweaking to one of CLA's presets.
I am thankful.
Exactly the same situation I had - couldn't get some vocals to sit well at all and couldn't be arsed to spend hours on them (I'm only a hobbyist after all). Got an email from Waves literally a few minutes later with the CLA Vocals on sale, had some voucher code too so picked it up for $21. Within a minute I had the vocals sounding the way I wanted them too.

I also have CLA Drums and Guitars (both purchased massively discounted!) - don't use them much but when I do, they get me out of a fix.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search