The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do plug-ins relate to sound cards?
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Head

How do plug-ins relate to sound cards?

Lately I’ve been using many more plug-ins than I used to, around 2 for each channel and bus. Now, regardless of if this is the right approach or not, I’m stressing my machine all to hell. I recently upgraded the cpu and memory on my pc, which allowed me to use more simultaneous plugs, but now instead of drop outs when I use too many I’m hanging Sonar.

I’m using a motu 896, my question is: Does the soundcard have any impact on the # of plugs I can run concurrently?

Thanks,
John Paul
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Your computer is the sole beneficiary of the plug drain. You can ad a card like the UAD or PowerCore to lessen the load on yur CPU.

How many plugs are you using on an average session?
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam c View Post
Your computer is the sole beneficiary of the plug drain. You can ad a card like the UAD or PowerCore to lessen the load on yur CPU.

Actually that isn't 100% true. The soundcard drivers efficiency does affect the number of plugins you can run. Especially at ultra-low latencies.

If you run with large buffers the difference might be close to zero.
That i'm not sure about.
Old 30th January 2007
also there are soundcards with dsp chips on them & plugins designed to run on the dsp's as opposed to the cpu which saves your cpu alot of traffic.

see: creamware
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
The last project I worked on had 15 plugs, when I added the 16h plug to the lead guitar bus Sonar froze. Any additional plug after the 15th hung sonar as well, but just on this song, some I can get 25+ plugs. The odd thing is my cpu and memory are still never above 20%, but the hang is definitely caused by having too many plugs.

I have an extra computer, I wonder if it would be possible to turn it into a standalone effects processor. The ultimate would be to chose the name of the plug on the main box, but offload the processing to the dedicated box. Has anyone heard about anything like this? Is there such thing as clustering for DAWs yet?
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulJones View Post
The last project I worked on had 15 plugs, when I added the 16h plug to the lead guitar bus Sonar froze. Any additional plug after the 15th hung sonar as well, but just on this song, some I can get 25+ plugs. The odd thing is my cpu and memory are still never above 20%, but the hang is definitely caused by having too many plugs.
I am confused that your computer load is no more than 20% and that Sonar bogs down. Are you sure?

Quote:
I have an extra computer, I wonder if it would be possible to turn it into a standalone effects processor. The ultimate would be to chose the name of the plug on the main box, but offload the processing to the dedicated box. Has anyone heard about anything like this? Is there such thing as clustering for DAWs yet?
You can network two computer and try this. I have not but it can be done!
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
I am confused that your computer load is no more than 20% and that Sonar bogs down. Are you sure?
I'm quite sure. This is why I say it's odd, it doesn't make sense. I'm sure the fact that I'm running xp64 with the sonar 64bit audio engine doesn't help matters. I'm guessing that because the plugs are not native 64 bit the conversion process is what is overloading somehow. Maybe.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search