The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Finally Bought A MacBook Pro
Old 11th February 2016
Lives for gear

Finally Bought A MacBook Pro

After months of contemplating and planning I finally copped my MacBook Pro and it's a 15" with Retina
Old 22nd February 2016
About time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 22nd February 2016
Lives for gear

That's what I've been using for the past couple of years. you'll like it.
Old 23rd February 2016
Lives for gear
good sh**. you won't regret.
Old 23rd February 2016
Lives for gear

Soon an iPhone, iMac, iPad, iWatch, etc lol.
Old 24th February 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Guy View Post
Soon an iPhone, iMac, iPad, iWatch, etc lol.

That was me lmfao.
I bought all of it full ecosystem dive
But I work on a 8 core pc still.
Macs are just pretty machines and build quality is what there about.
Old 24th February 2016
Lives for gear

I got rid of my MacBook Pro and never looked back :D peach

MC
Old 24th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
I got rid of my MacBook Pro and never looked back :D peach

MC
Just curious. What do you use instead ?
Old 24th February 2016
Lives for gear

I use a quad core i7 HP elitbook. 14 inch, high res matt screen. 16 gigs ram, 250GB SSD OS drive and 1TB audio drive. Built like a tank, military spec. Great road horse machine. Not for posing in Starbucks with though it's a work horse tool that get things done. I bought it as a factory refurb, base model then added a new i7 quad cpu, the ram, and extra HD , with the money I saved NOT replacing my MacBook Pro I built my desktop DAW as well.

MC
Old 24th February 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the details. My macbook is slowly ageing. And each time, the question is coming back. To switch or not switch ?

So far, it seems that the few hundreds saved with a PC are spent on the price of softwares.

Did you replace the cpu yourself ?
Old 24th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spip View Post
Thanks for all the details. My macbook is slowly ageing. And each time, the question is coming back. To switch or not switch ?

So far, it seems that the few hundreds saved with a PC are spent on the price of softwares.

Did you replace the cpu yourself ?
When I went to replace my MacBook pro it would have cost $2000, built the HP for $1000

so it's not a few hundred it was close to a $1000 difference. yes I changed everything myself. HP elitebooks are designed to be user serviceable so you have access to everything just like a desktop, hence they're not as thin and light as a current unibody machine.

what do you mean price of softwares? software is 99% cross platform so it's irrelevant.

MC
Old 24th February 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
When I went to replace my MacBook pro it would have cost $2000, built the HP for $1000

so it's not a few hundred it was close to a $1000 difference. yes I changed everything myself. HP elitebooks are designed to be user serviceable so you have access to everything just like a desktop, hence they're not as thin and light as a current unibody machine.

what do you mean price of softwares? software is 99% cross platform so it's irrelevant.

MC
He probably meant that a Windows OS costs hundreds of dollars and OSX is free.Of course the most cost efficient machine is a Hackintosh if you know what you're doing.
Old 24th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicklickz View Post
He probably meant that a Windows OS costs hundreds of dollars and OSX is free.Of course the most cost efficient machine is a Hackintosh if you know what you're doing.
Windows comes pre-installed on laptops and is included in the list price. If you're building a PC then you need to buy windows, though "hundreds of dollars" is an overstatement, it is about $100 give or take for the basic Windows. The "Pro" version of Windows, which costs about $200, is not necessary for a daw.

The one area where people can get hit is Microsoft Office, but a Google account and Google Docs is all you need to circumvent that requirement.

You can get amazing value out of PC's and laptops if you avoid wasting money on extended warranties, unnecessary software and "fees" for installing windows.
Old 24th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
MC
Good to know for Hp elite book. Thanks.

About price of software :

Windows pro (for RAM and choice of language, but maybe it has changed for W10) : around 120€

Final Cut Pro: Premiere is included in a 60€/month plan

Motion: same thing.

And in my case, even though a PC version is announced, my Metric Halo doesn't have PC driver.

I'm really surprised by the 1000$ difference. Did you take into account everything you have added ?

Taking one of the ADK laptop computers as example, the cost is not really different from a Macbook.
Old 24th February 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Windows comes pre-installed on laptops and is included in the list price. If you're building a PC then you need to buy windows, though "hundreds of dollars" is an overstatement, it is about $100 give or take for the basic Windows. The "Pro" version of Windows, which costs about $200, is not necessary for a daw.

The one area where people can get hit is Microsoft Office, but a Google account and Google Docs is all you need to circumvent that requirement.

You can get amazing value out of PC's and laptops if you avoid wasting money on extended warranties, unnecessary software and "fees" for installing windows.
If you're building a PC from scratch there is no OS included and you pay retail for it.If you've upgraded a Mac for the last 4 versions of OSX how much has it cost?If you've upgraded your PC for the last 4 versions of Windows how much has it cost?I got my Microsoft MCSE rating when NT 3.51 was current and NT 4.0 was in beta,1996 I believe.Until recently all of the NT pro versions were always $299,Enterprise Edition and Server versions were more.
Old 24th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you're building a PC from scratch there is no OS included and you pay retail for it.If you've upgraded a Mac for the last 4 versions of OSX how much has it cost?If you've upgraded your PC for the last 4 versions of Windows how much has it cost?I got my Microsoft MCSE rating when NT 3.51 was current and NT 4.0 was in beta,1996 I believe.Until recently all of the NT pro versions were always $299,Enterprise Edition and Server versions were more.
Yes, I forgot this. During a computer lifetime, let's say 5 years for my Mac , you have paid Windows 7, 8 and 10.
Old 24th February 2016
Quote:
Well, I've been using windows 7 for 6 years now and upgrading to 10 is free. It was about $100 at the time. Why on earth someone would upgrade their OS every year is beyond me. I use my PC for music, gaming and video and the OS has never been a problem. Judging by the amount of threads complaining about compatibility issues with just about every iteration of Apple's OS for plugins and interfaces I'm not sure I would present that as an argument in favor of Mac's...

Regardless, the true savings when building PC's are not even on the software front or the "complete build" cost savings, which are already significant. The true advantage is that you can keep your good components and only replace the components in need of an upgrade. In my last build I kept my graphics card, power supply, hard drives and Windows 7, so for $1000 canadian tax-in I ended up with a Fractal Case, Noctua Fan, i7 4790k cpu, a motherboard and 16 gigs of ram. the next build won't even require a case, making it even cheaper. A baseline Mac Pro, with weaker specs, starts at $ 4200 canadian, tax-inc,assuming you want a mouse and keyboard.
Old 24th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, I forgot this. During a computer lifetime, let's say 5 years for my Mac , you have paid Windows 7, 8 and 10.
From 7 though 8 then 8.1 to 10 I've only paid $25 which I paid for the windows 8 update by pre ordering. Windows 10 is free and my laptop came with windows 7 installed.

So $25 .

MC
Old 24th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good to know for Hp elite book. Thanks.

About price of software :

Windows pro (for RAM and choice of language, but maybe it has changed for W10) : around 120€

Final Cut Pro: Premiere is included in a 60€/month plan

Motion: same thing.

And in my case, even though a PC version is announced, my Metric Halo doesn't have PC driver.

I'm really surprised by the 1000$ difference. Did you take into account everything you have added ?

Taking one of the ADK laptop computers as example, the cost is not really different from a Macbook.

Yes I paid $600 for the elitobook, still had 4 yeas warranty left :D. the CPU I got form ebay along with the 2nd drive caddy and the ram came from crucial I think and in total the new CPU, ram and SSD HD coat around $400 so it came in around $1000.

Obviously now you can pay exactly the same as a MacBook pro and more if you go fo the latest and greatest. The new surfacebook is stunning but expensive for a road tool.

I use mine as a tool, so the fact it is military spec and serviceable means it's lasted a long time on the road.

If you're using a metric Halo interface then you're stuffed as regards OS choice. I ALWAYS make sure I buy cross platform software/hardware if I can.

MC
Old 24th February 2016
Lives for gear

Remember THEY GLUED THE BATTERY AND THE RAM on the rMBP

Apple has a new policy (at least in my country) of not allowing immediate replacements of faulty parts under warranty.

Today I had to pay 90e for a replacement power supply for my rMBP so that I can write to you now. My power supply failed under warranty but Apple's new policy is it has to go to "service" before they will replace it. They think they can get away with anything right now €€€€€€€€€
Old 24th February 2016
Gear Addict

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a MBP - going to wait a little longer for the next iteration to arrive with the likes of Thunderbolt 3 ports. Anyway, have been a Windows user for close to 25 years now - mostly laptop exclusive over last 10 years. Reasons for jumping? Build quality for a start and Windows just bugs the hell out of me right now. Things just never seem to work properly!!! This is partially due to the quality of Dell's components but also a generic thing. My laptop is 3 years+ old though so perhaps it's just struggling badly with Win10.

There's never a right/wrong with PC vs Mac these days but having spent half an hour arsing about in a store on Garageband via a MBP I was pretty much sold. Light to hold, snappy when running, clear display helped to make things far more engaging than when I try and do anything on my Dell brick!
Old 24th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
After months of contemplating and planning I finally copped my MacBook Pro and it's a 15" with Retina
Download the free "BlackMagic Disk Speed" app from the app store and run it. 1800+ Mb/s read/write! Absolutely blows the doors off all the competition.

If I could buy a "PC" laptop that I could run as a Hackintosh with these specs, I would. AFAIK they don't exist.
Old 24th February 2016
RTR
Lives for gear

hope you enjoy it. I sold my 2015 rMBP because it was like trying to work on an iphone coming from an imac for me
Old 25th February 2016
Gear Nut

They do exist actually asus makes several laptops on the new intell processors witch support 64 gb of ram and pci storage system for a 1500 read and write. Also have thunderbolt3 and you can easily do a clover install of osx el capitan on them.
Old 25th February 2016
Gear Nut

ROG G752VL | Notebooks | ASUS USA Oh they exist and they can be hackintoshed with clover.
Old 25th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes I paid $600 for the elitobook, still had 4 yeas warranty left :D. the CPU I got form ebay along with the 2nd drive caddy and the ram came from crucial I think and in total the new CPU, ram and SSD HD coat around $400 so it came in around $1000.

Obviously now you can pay exactly the same as a MacBook pro and more if you go fo the latest and greatest. The new surfacebook is stunning but expensive for a road tool.

I use mine as a tool, so the fact it is military spec and serviceable means it's lasted a long time on the road.

If you're using a metric Halo interface then you're stuffed as regards OS choice. I ALWAYS make sure I buy cross platform software/hardware if I can.

MC
Thanks again for all the details. You don't make my life easier, though

What you have done is exactly what I had in mind. The top of the shelf Macbook pro is around 3000€. Instead, I was thinking of a solid (but not pretty) laptop for the road and with the money saved, a monster DIY PC...

(and about Metric Halo, PC drivers were announced so long time ago, that it shouldn't be too long, now)
Old 25th February 2016
Lives for gear

I don't consider cost when it comes to PC vs Mac. I just paid over 3K for a maxed out Surface Book after using Macs exclusively for the last decade. Back then going from windows to OSX felt like traveling to the future. Nowadays not so much... actually Microsoft's effort to combine laptop/tablet/phone under one OS is the future IMO. I have another week to decide if I want to keep my Surface Book but so far with the latest updates, I'm quite impressed. Last night I was at my girlfriend's place and while using her Macbook Pro I found myself subconsciously touching the screen over and over again expecting to grab things like I'm now used to...

But they are both tools so it all depends in your application. There is really no "better" at this point IME... Although if this Windows 10 laptop thing works out as well as it started, my much-needed studio computer upgrade soon will be a PC. Again, not because of cost (I'll still be spending 10K) but simply sheer power not officially supported in the Mac world.
Old 25th February 2016
Lives for gear

I'm loving the look of the surface book, can't justify one at the moment though, but would have one in a heart beat if money was of NO object :D

I know what you mean about touching the screen, I do it all the time LOL

I've been backwards and forwards with windows and OSX myself over the last 10 years and have settled on windows mainly, still keep a Mac in the studio with pro tools HD just in case, never seems to get used though.

They're all just tools and for me having choice was more important to me that cool looks or being hip. Having said that, the surface book is a LOT cooler than a MacBook pro IMHO on every level.

MCV
Old 26th February 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
I don't consider cost when it comes to PC vs Mac. I just paid over 3K for a maxed out Surface Book after using Macs exclusively for the last decade.

Man I have been thinking about snagging one of those with the usb3 uad Apollo.
What daw are you using? Kinda interested how touch friendly they are at that resolution.
Old 26th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
They're all just tools and for me having choice was more important to me that cool looks or being hip. Having said that, the surface book is a LOT cooler than a MacBook pro IMHO on every level.
My GF now wants one so badly... and she just bought her MBPro 8 months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattydeath View Post

Man I have been thinking about snagging one of those with the usb3 uad Apollo.
What daw are you using? Kinda interested how touch friendly they are at that resolution.
I don't really do music on it since it's my office/entertainment computer... Having said that, I've installed Bitwig and StudioOne and they run amazing. Bitwig's touch version is made for the surface line so working on that is a blast. StudioOne keeps the desktop environment but you'd be surprised how much touch control you can have in this resolution. Overall I can't see how you could go wrong...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search