The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Intel Demos 45nm Penryn Processors due end 2007
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Guru

Intel Demos 45nm Penryn Processors due end 2007

Well for those of you who have been agonizing over when to buy, another carrot just got added to the stick.

Think smaller, faster, cooler and greater energy efficiency across the board.

Intel says its 45-nanometer chips are almost ready for prime time.

The company demonstrated PCs and servers running its upcoming Penryn family of chips this week during a briefing for the press and analysts on its new transistor design for the 45-nanometer generation. Penryn is the code name for a family of desktop, notebook and server chips based on Intel's Core microarchitecture, and systems with the chips will be available before the end of this year, said CEO Paul Otellini at the event.

Penryn is essentially a shrink of the Core 2 Duo chips, with a few extras like the SSE4 instructions. It's being introduced along with the new manufacturing technology, the "tick" of Intel's plans. Then next year, when the 45-nanometer manufacturing technology is mature, Intel will introduce a new chip microarchitecture code-named Nehalem--the "tock"--with more significant changes to the chip design.
MORE: http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-6153973.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/27/te...in&oref=slogin
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

I work for Intel, and these are the chips we're building now. I'm not particularly "Intel-biased", but these new chips have drastically improved transistors, and should absolutely blow AMD out of the water. AMD is still trying to get out 65nm technology, and Intel is not only starting 45nm production, but they have a completely re-designed gate for their transistors that is performing at unbelievable speeds.

It really seems like intel has the marketplace cornered right now, and when Penryn is released, AMD shouldn't stand a chance.

BTW, I'm not really as "GO INTEL!" as I sound, but this is sure how things look now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search