The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
G4 "Upgrade" Question
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

G4 "Upgrade" Question

I can buy a G4 with a up-graded CPU that System Profiler claims runs at 1.47K mhz (obviously no G4 ran above about 850mhz.)
The price is good.

I currently have a G4 that runs at 450 mhz (too slow for DP5.0)

I run Digital Performer 5.0 and don't really do any plug-in stuff.
I use it as a multitrack and editor, but I mix OTB through a Venice 320.

Would I make a mistake buying this G4?
The CPU is fast, but would I have a bottle neck anywhere?
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

danny.. the g4's got to 1.42GHZ bud... so this is not very far fectch... in fact if you go owc's site they've modded g4's up to dual 2.0GHZ... check it out.

www.macsales.com
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
(obviously no G4 ran above about 850mhz.)
funny... i had a 1GHz.

a simple google search produced this:

http://support.apple.com/specs/power..._G4_FW800.html

looks like they topped out at dual 1.47.

what's the price? at this point, i'd figure that a top-end G4 would be adquate for at least another year. possibly more.

--jon
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

I had a 1.4GHz G4 Gigadesign processor upgrade that I put into my old G4 450 a few years ago that worked really well. Some of those upgrades can be a bit sketchy... especially if it was a DIY by someone that doesn't have much experience with such things. Think that it topped out at 1.6 if you messed with the jumpers, but I never ran it past 1.4 out of meltdown paranoia.

The 7447A chips ran a bit cooler than those earlier versions that were in the desktops... I believe these were the same ones apple used in the last versions of the G4 laptops. They topped out at something like 2.0 I believe, though I don't think apple ever clocked them past 1.67.
---
c
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

yeah... i had a 466 that i put a 1GHz in... www.sonnettech.com.

--jon
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

OK, I trusted an un-named computer GEEK and he said that they stopped at 800mhz or so.

Either way, I really wondered if I would be limiting myself in any way or if I should go for a single processor G5 instead.

I ain't dropping $2k on a new Mac today.

I can get this updraded CPU G4 for around $400.00
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

the g3s stopped at around 800 or 900mhz... make sure it isn't a g3

depending on the specs that could be an ok price... how much ram and how big of a hard drive?

is a mac mini or an imac out of range? because these new intel chips are ridiculous.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

mines working well - gigadesign

733 quicksilver to a dual 1.8

goto http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ then goto cpu upgrades the will have a list of machines like yours and what was sucessful and what was not...

keep in mind that some spam other companies... macsales bought powerlogix - good company and gigadesigns got their designs from powerlogix - REALLY!

-michael
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
for perspective, i just sold a 466MHz machine (in questionable working order) for around $100. i also sold (in a separate auction) a 1GHz upgrade CPU for around $150 or $175. Obviously you'd pay more for a faster processor, and a guaranteed working machine. $400, to me, seems like a "good" deal; not a "great" one, for what that's worth. of course, a lot also depends on the other specs, how much ram, HDs, etc. etc. etc.

--jon
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK, I trusted an un-named computer GEEK and he said that they stopped at 800mhz or so.

Either way, I really wondered if I would be limiting myself in any way or if I should go for a single processor G5 instead.

I ain't dropping $2k on a new Mac today.

CPU speed is not the be-all-end-all. Other factors such as RAM speed and BUS speed, disk i/o play an important factor in a Macs true speed.

Buy a single CPU G5.

www.apple-history.com

check out the link, this site will give you gobs of info on every mac every made.

If you get that G4 your bottleneck will be BUS, RAM and disk I/O. If you dont use alotta plugs, disk i/o is going tobe the major factor......track counts in DP.

Also, dont trust that un-named comptur geek.....trust ME!!!
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

No, he isn't an "un-named" geek, but he is one of those people that give answers whether they know they actual answer or not.
LONG story.

I can get the G4 for about $400.00.
That seems like a LONG way into a single processor G5, but I have a MOTU 324 PCI card (maybe a 424 after tonight) and it won't work on a G5... so I hear.

Sadly neither an Mac Mini or an iBook iMac will work because I need too keep these Motu 2408s going for now.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

The last of the G4's, the Mirrored Door Drives, or better known as MDD's, have DDR RAM and a faster bus than the older G4's. No SATA HD's. These have CPUS that clocked from 1ghz to 1.42ghz, dualies and singles, except I think there was no single 1.42.

These are the fastest of the G4's, also the noisiest. Added bonus, you can put 3 extra HD's in 'em!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search