The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MP 2013 - Mavericks, Yosemite or El Capitan
Old 8th February 2016
Lives for gear

MP 2013 - Mavericks, Yosemite or El Capitan

hello!
i'm interested in your opinion, which mac os is yet the best, solid and safety for audio productions.
at the moment i'm on mavericks - but i want to do a fresh install of all my stuff.
so, hopefully i'll get some ideas from you.

setup
mac pro 2013
- blackmagic mini monitor (thunderbolt) for video playback
- blackmagic multidock 4x1 tb ssd (thunderbolt)
- uad octo (pci chassis)

daw/apps (latest versions):
cubase, pro tools, logic, wavelab, sonoris ddp

plugins (latest versions):
waves, uad, ni, pluginalliance, slate, refx, relab, softube, dmg audio, vsl, fabfilter, sound toys,...
Old 8th February 2016
Lives for gear

bump
Old 8th February 2016
Gear Addict

If you are using ProTools 10, then stick with Mavericks. If you've moved to PT11 or 12, then id upgrade to the newest OS. PT10 has issues starting with Yosemite. The drop down menus in the mixer are glitchy (when you choose a plugin or I/O, ect.).

I still use PT10 on my mac system so i stuck with Mountain Lion.

Matt
Old 8th February 2016
Lives for gear

thanks for the info.
i'm on the latest release of pro tools.

today i friend told me, that yosemite in overall is a bit glitchy.

mhhhm - but i don't know that much about el capitan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackmastering View Post
If you are using ProTools 10, then stick with Mavericks. If you've moved to PT11 or 12, then id upgrade to the newest OS. PT10 has issues starting with Yosemite. The drop down menus in the mixer are glitchy (when you choose a plugin or I/O, ect.).

I still use PT10 on my mac system so i stuck with Mountain Lion.

Matt
Old 8th February 2016
Gear Guru

El Cap is a little slower for me here .. but running it on a 7200rpm drive NOT on my SSD's .... not impressed ..
Old 9th February 2016
Lives for gear

that's interesting. was it a clean install?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
El Cap is a little slower for me here .. but running it on a 7200rpm drive NOT on my SSD's .... not impressed ..
Old 9th February 2016
Gear Head

I was in a similiar position using mavericks and yosemite. I was reading everywhere that el capitan wasn't that great, lots of issues, etc. Finally decided that I would give it a shot and see what happened. The biggest issue I saw was when people did upgrades rather than clean installs. I did a clean install on three different macs (2 retina macbooks and one of the new mac pro trash cans) and they have been working great.
Old 9th February 2016
Gear Guru

this is my test hard drive .. it was upgraded not a Clean Install .. Yosemite was fine on this drive . El Cap not so much .. i will not be going back to do a clean install on this drive ..

my main system is Mavericks ... IF El Cap becomes better i will do a clean install (leap frog) from mavericks ..

i personally do not wish to be constantly updating my system as Avid wishes us to .. this is not a safe business practice ..

the issues i see are we are NOt getting Bug Fixes, we are NOT getting the communication that Avid said we would have in the Video in Sept. with the 3 amigos ..

Avid, so far your plan is NOT working .. you alienated HD users for one thing .. you probably pushed a few peeps away to other DAW's ..

back on track .. if i can dig up another drive i will do a Fresh Clean Install of EL Cap ..

cheers john rant over .. !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nott View Post
that's interesting. was it a clean install?!?
Old 9th February 2016
Lives for gear

thank you all!!!
i've made a decision: i'll install el capitan...

hopefully slate and plugin alliance are ready soon
Old 10th February 2016
Gear Guru

are you installing on SSD or 7200rpm Spinning Drive ?? i am curious to see if you get good performance on SSD vs 7200rpm

thx john

Quote:
thank you all!!!
i've made a decision: i'll install el capitan...

hopefully slate and plugin alliance are ready soon
Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

i'll install it on the internal pci ssd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
are you installing on SSD or 7200rpm Spinning Drive ?? i am curious to see if you get good performance on SSD vs 7200rpm

thx john
Old 10th February 2016
Gear Guru

my buddy and I were talking about those yesterday .. very curious now .. should be the fastest you can get for 2012 and earlier MAcPros .. nice !!!

Quote:
i'll install it on the internal pci ssd.
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

so, at the moment all looks very good and fast
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search