The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vocalign Pro !!! Autotune 5 ???
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Vocalign Pro !!! Autotune 5 ???

I just downloaded the Vocalign Pro demo yesturday to see if it really did what it claims to do. And I must say that I'm pretty damn impressed. This thing is a god send. I had done a bit of work on a song, matching up harmonies on the first verse by hand (took a while as this was a 4 part harmony)....then I figured I'd download the demo, and see if it sped things up.....and it took me all of 2 minutes to figure out how to use it, and another 5 to finish the rest of the song!

However, the $700 tag for Vocalign Pro is pretty steep, considering I wont use it all that often. Does the Vocalign Project ($330) hold up? I'm mainly using it to match up harmonys.

On a side note, I really think Auto-Tune 5 is a piece of junk. There's a few handy features, but honestly, no matter how hard I try, it sounds REALLY obvious, like a machine is singing.

I never used version 4, and still have version 3 on a different system. I've always thought version 3 sounded pretty good, as long as you don't have to pitch anything more than a half step at the most. Can anyone with experience say that version 4 is just as good as version 3, sound wise.

Also, I really like the autotune interface, and I'm not too interested in Melodyne.

If I could, I'de love to just put version 3 on my newer system (OSX, PTLE 7.1), cause I know it does what I want it to do.
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Addict

Hey.

Autotune doesn't always have to sound obvious. I think most pro autotuners avoid "auto" mode like the plague. In graphic mode, you can correct the pitch just the right amount, so it doesn't sound fake. If you're not familiar with the graphic technique, do a couple of searches. You should find some tips around here.

A
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

VocAlign is a must have when doing a lot of overdub or when you need to tighten your backvocals together or with the lead vocals...

Melodyne+Autoune = thumbsup

Autotune 5's algorythm is much better than the version 4.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

I use VocAlign Project quite a bit and absolutely love it. I'm not sure what the differences are between versions offhand. It's too easy to match up vocals for doubles or harmonies. It sometimes seems to completely miss the mark, but I think that may be me going to quick and accidentally skipping a step, or trying to process too long of a phrase all at once.

I recently tried it on a pair of distorted rhythm guitars that were hard panned left and right. They weren't quite tight enough. I Vocaligned the one that was a bit more sloppy to the one that was more "on" rhythmically. Bam! Just like that, they were locked. Pretty slick.

As for Auto-Tune, I'm not a heavy user, but I have used 3 and 4. Didn't really make a difference to me going to v4. I will say, you need to be using graphic mode, otherwise you're just wasting your time. I never get very usable results with "auto".
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick21 View Post
I use VocAlign Project quite a bit and absolutely love it.

Good to hear.

As far as graphic mode...that's the only mode I've ever used with Autotune. I've never even tried using the "auto" mode. It's just that I could really hear it grabbing the note each time....even if it was just a hair under the mark...and especially on the ends of long drawn out words. I don't know, maybe I went too fast with it, or tried to make it too perfect.

Maybe I'll have to check out Melodyne, although I just don't like the interface..and last I checked they didn't offer any kind of usable demo.

Anyways, I'd love to hear of others that are satisfied with the lighter Vocalign Project for Pro Tools LE
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Here's a link to the side by side comparison between versions (in case you haven't already seen it):
http://www.synchroarts.com/products/...Comparison.asp
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

I had to upgrade to VA Pro because Project did not handle stereo tracks well.
But AT 5 works like a charm it's totally transparent -if you know how to use it properly.
A gun is the wrong hands can produce negative results as well.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
I had to upgrade to VA Pro because Project did not handle stereo tracks well.
But AT 5 works like a charm it's totally transparent -if you know how to use it properly.
A gun is the wrong hands can produce negative results as well.
Good to know, as I don't see myself needing it on stereo tracks (at least for now)

As far as autotune goes, I'll try it again, and see if I can't get it to sound right. I will admit, that I really wanted to like it. The bigger window is nice, and the fact that it draws the waveform in the edit window, and you can use the edit tools while your in "tracking mode". Combined with the fact that I can use it on my main system means it'll speed up the whole process by quite a bit.
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
..... I'm not too interested in Melodyne.

Why not?
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonutarr View Post
Why not?
Because they don't offer a useable demo (unless their policy has changed) and I just can't let myself buy software unless I really get a chance to put it through its paces.

However, I must say that I took another stab at using AT5, and I have officially changed my mind. Now I'm kind of shocked at how good I was able to get it to sound. I guess I just needed to go a little slower, stay away from the line tool and use the "make curve" option, and scissor tool.

I guess now I have to put AT5 + Vocalign on the short list.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by luctellier View Post
VocAlign is a must have when doing a lot of overdub or when you need to tighten your backvocals together or with the lead vocals...
The time compression expansion trimmer tool works just as good as vocAlign, IF you know what you are doing.....and comes free with LE, M-Powered, and HD.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
On a side note, I really think Auto-Tune 5 is a piece of junk. There's a few handy features, but honestly, no matter how hard I try, it sounds REALLY obvious, like a machine is singing.

I never used version 4, and still have version 3 on a different system. I've always thought version 3 sounded pretty good, as long as you don't have to pitch anything more than a half step at the most. Can anyone with experience say that version 4 is just as good as version 3, sound wise.

Also, I really like the autotune interface, and I'm not too interested in Melodyne.
not trying to start an arguement, but you seriously got to give melodyne a better look. Its far superior to autotune in everyway, especially since there is a plugin version available now. You get all the little auto squiggles but much more ease in terms of note movement and editing. Melodyne also has the added features of the most intelligent auto time stretc, dynamics control, and the ability to save and reopen tuning sessions for later tweeks. The previous features importance pales in comparision to how natural it sounds. Its a very musical piece of software. Now that the plugin is available I don't see why anyone would want to use anything else. I think its also cheaper.
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Maniac

I just left a Paramount Recording studio were Baby Bash was recording where Vocalign was used on some over dubs tightened things up to par......this plug in is used through out the industry depends on your needs
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
not trying to start an arguement, but you seriously got to give melodyne a better look. Its far superior to autotune in everyway, especially since there is a plugin version available now. You get all the little auto squiggles but much more ease in terms of note movement and editing. Melodyne also has the added features of the most intelligent auto time stretc, dynamics control, and the ability to save and reopen tuning sessions for later tweeks. The previous features importance pales in comparision to how natural it sounds. Its a very musical piece of software. Now that the plugin is available I don't see why anyone would want to use anything else. I think its also cheaper.
I totally agree.. viva Melodyne!
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

+1 Melodyne Uno or Full Version. I owned Uno and then upgraded and it is an amazing amazing program. Definitely pro all the way. People have used Autotune for years with great results, Melodyne just took it another step IMO. Autotune is just catching up somewhat to Melodyne with this version.
Cameron
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Maniac

Has anyone noticed that the Melodyne plugin kills the highs of your audiotrack? This is a big downer for me, otherwise it would be a great product.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

I'm resisting forking over the cash for AT5, though now that I've just upgraded to PT 7.3 the thing where you can have graphic mode running in realtime through the whole tune is enticing. Did I hear right that they took out the "Make Auto" button in the graphic mode? I use that a lot lately... speeds things up a lot. Never played with Melodyne...

Vocalign is cool. I used to use it all the time when boy bands ruled the world.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
The time compression expansion trimmer tool works just as good as vocAlign, IF you know what you are doing.....and comes free with LE, M-Powered, and HD.
I'm working with Cubase SX3
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
That's what I was using, and I got great results, but I also got great results using Vocalign in less than half the time. I'll go back to that method when my demo expires, until I can fork over the cash.

Here's a question about the Melodyne Plugin.....I've heard of it not working so well with time signature changes. Is that true? What about tempo changes? I almost never use a straight click, it's always mapped out to the song....usually a bit slower for intros, speeding up in the chorus'/fills....slowing down in the bridge, sometimes it's just a gradual slope upwards throughout the whole song.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonutarr View Post
Why not?

- For me it is not as 'clean' as AT5, I can 'hear' Melodyne.
- The Plug-in version has bugs in it.
- No TDM version (I need all the RTAS power for all my softsynths and samplers)
Old 5th March 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
- For me it is not as 'clean' as AT5, I can 'hear' Melodyne.
- The Plug-in version has bugs in it.
- No TDM version (I need all the RTAS power for all my softsynths and samplers)

i couldnt not agree more. melodyne can be heard from a mile away.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search