The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My Mac died, What now???
Old 1st February 2016
Here for the gear

My Mac died, What now???

Hello Everyone... I had a 2009 Mac Pro, 2.66 Xeon, 16GB Ram and GT120 video card. I also had 2 SSD drives and 2 standard SATA drives... Long story short, my CPU Processor board died. I know this because I borrowed one from work and swapped it with mine and of coarse it worked like a champ. I tried replacing the processor, ram, etc.... And the only thing left is that board! They run 300 to 500 on the internet USED!! I just can fathom paying that for used parts with no guarantee of something else going wrong in a few months.

The good news is my wife is letting me buy a new Mac... She is AWESOME! (I'm sure it will end up costing me something down the road... Ha Ha) Anyway... I am trying to determine what will last me the next 5 years (Not trying to be unrealistic, but that Mac Pro was awesome).

I have a Native Instruments S61 keyboard and Komplete Ultimate along with an AKAI MPK88. I use Logic Pro to bring it all together. I have another massive amount of Plugins too. Prior to the Mac Death, I have had no issues with performance, lag, or software issues...

So... Mac Mini? iMac? or should I risk another used Mac Pro online? If I do get another Mac Pro, it will probably be at least 1000$$... Buying used from a friend would be no problem, but an unknown person online????

I would appreciate any and all input before an investment...

Sorry for the long post (I am also a Noob to this forum)...

Thanks,
Trey
Old 1st February 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03psdx View Post
Buying used from a friend would be no problem, but an unknown person online????
I bought a used Macbook Pro in 2010 off of eBay. The laptop was in excellent condition and I had no problems whatsoever from the day I purchased it from the day it was delivered to me. Just make sure you purchase from someone with only good feedback and plenty of reviews and you'll be totally fine.
Old 1st February 2016
Gear Maniac

When my mac died I put the hard drive in a pc made with compatible hackintosh parts, and booted off a clover usb. Back in business.
Old 1st February 2016
Lives for gear
I built hackintosh, works like a dream, with a 1/3 quad mac pro price and i have more ssd,ram,better gpu,watercooling, extra quiet, very nice case, not like that trash can. It will last at least 5 years. If your up to it, everything can be learned on web.
Old 2nd February 2016
iMac, 15" MacBook Pro or Hackintosh are your options.

iMac and MacBook will run around 2k.

Hackintosh will run 1k maybe less.

All work fine.

I've settled on the MacBook pro route. I like the portability, more than enough power for what I do.

I wouldn't buy a used computer, especially a 5 year old one. You're guaranteeing yourself that you'll have to buy another one a year or so.
Old 3rd February 2016
Gear Head
Another Hackintosh user over here! Once you nail down all the essential kexts no problem. I'd reccomend you to follow one of the guides around the net, choose one of the builds that are known to be compatible, so you can have all kexts and DSDT's in the same place.
Old 3rd February 2016
Gear Maniac

Also a fresh Hackintosh user here. Works like a charm. If you have any questions about it I'm here to help you. My memory is fresh on everything in this regard.
Old 4th February 2016
Here for the gear

I want to believe...

in Hackintosh stability.
Mike.r , since you offered....
I have a machine I paid to have made based on an Asus P8Z77-V pro/thunderbolt motherboard with an Intel i7-3770k. Samsung 256GB Pro SATA3SSD, and a WD 1TB HD. Part of the problem has been finding accurate info on compatibility. I probably could make my way through the hack but I just am so tired of dealing with that level of things instead of music. After making some inquiries locally I found a guy who is willing to do the hack for me for $250. Does that seem fair? I just have no idea. Thanks.
Old 4th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomheart411 View Post
Part of the problem has been finding accurate info on compatibility.
If only the internet put together a list of known compatible parts....oh wait...they already did.

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide January 2016 - tonymacx86.com
Old 5th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomheart411 View Post
in Hackintosh stability.
Mike.r , since you offered....
I have a machine I paid to have made based on an Asus P8Z77-V pro/thunderbolt motherboard with an Intel i7-3770k. Samsung 256GB Pro SATA3SSD, and a WD 1TB HD. Part of the problem has been finding accurate info on compatibility. I probably could make my way through the hack but I just am so tired of dealing with that level of things instead of music. After making some inquiries locally I found a guy who is willing to do the hack for me for $250. Does that seem fair? I just have no idea. Thanks.
Your components are compatible to some extend. There is an extra guide for your MB. I wouldn't pay the $250 for this as it only took me about 1 hour without any big hassle. If you have a lot of money you could get the job done by someone else.

Basically you need a 16GB+ USB Stick, an extra HDD just for Mac OSX and a running Mac to set up the bootable USB Stick. There are options where you don't need a Mac but I don't think it's allowed to discuss here.

Over at Tonymacx86.com you find everything you need:
General Install guide: UniBeast: Install OS X El Capitan on Any Supported Intel-based PC
Guide for your MB: [Success] [config+DSDT] El Capitan on Asus P8Z77-V LX with PM and sleep

The latter is a tad more complex but you really just need the attached config file and put it into your clover boot partition. The guys over at the site are also very helpful.
Old 14th February 2016
Does anyone know if the Apogee Symphony 64 PCIe or Apogee Thunderbridge will work ok with a Hackintosh?

I'm in the same boat as well, my 8-core Mac Pro 2,1 2007 is sometimes not displaying anything after booting up and it is getting worse (just a blank screen on my monitor). I think it may be the video card but not sure (tried with other monitors too).

As for parts for a Mac Pro Hackintosh, will picking out a combo of any of the components on this list work ok?
Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide January 2016 - tonymacx86.com
Old 19th February 2016
I just brought my Mac Pro 2,1 2007 back to life! All it needed was a $45 replacement video card and is now completely healthy. Very happy to be able save for a nice synth instead
Old 29th February 2016
Gear Head

I'm considering an Hackintosh for a desktop setup. But I'd like to keep it under 1k. I guess that collecting the components equivalent to an Imac 27" is really sufficient, right ? (Only music production)

Also, my main worry is to keep my system updated. I never update right away (still not running on Capitan) but I'm wondering if it's not a problem to update to a new OSX with the components with the components you initially bought. Any problems in this area ?

But I'm not in a hurry. I'll wait for the Skylake processors to work on the new OSX first. And my Macbook Pro from 2010 is still working quite well (with a few upgrades).
Old 29th February 2016
I just bought a 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 loaded with 16GB of ram for just under $600 on eBay a few weeks ago to replace my 2006 that I couldn't update anymore.. A 2012 was about twice that, and was the last desktop model before that ugly trash can came out. Might be worth looking into as well.
Old 5th March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
I just bought a 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 loaded with 16GB of ram for just under $600 on eBay a few weeks ago to replace my 2006 that I couldn't update anymore.. A 2012 was about twice that, and was the last desktop model before that ugly trash can came out. Might be worth looking into as well.
I think this is still the best option for using Logic. I have an upgraded hacked 5.1 2009 3.46 12-core (Geekbench multi-core over 30,000/230 tracks) I bought off of eBay 1/15 but now you can get good deals on the 2010 models although the 3.46 Xeons are harder to find but the 3.33 is pretty close for performance.

If Apple is still selling the same basic trash can when I need a new machine I'll definitely be looking at the hackintosh option or jumping ship for a PC and a new DAW.
Old 5th March 2016
Lives for gear

If you go the hackintosh route, are things like routine system updates etc, a pita? I am not in the market now, surprisingly getting major longer lifespan off my 4,1 and 5,1 (2009 and 2012 respectively, loaded up with 32gb ram and 1tb SSD's etc...)..... but have lots of friends ask, and will freely admit to being a "newb" on this...

I personally would rather spend the extra money on a "real" mac (which, I think I just got the 2012 last summer with the 32gb ram etc for pretty cheap), I know you could spec out a PC running the OS for probably half the price, but I am working all the time, and don't want to deal with the additional headache ontop of the ones I already have.......

So newb question on this: is the maintenance on these machines far more then a regular mac (once set up etc)? With every OSX update (say going from 10.9.4 to to 10.9.5, or just "security updates" require an inordinate amount of time to accomplish? Or is it easy peasy?

thanks for putting up with the "basic question", and I know there are plenty of forums on the inter webs about it, I'm just asking here because I am basically just asking guys utilizing it for AUDIO use....
Old 5th March 2016
Lives for gear

If you go the hackintosh route, are things like routine system updates etc, a pita? I am not in the market now, surprisingly getting major longer lifespan off my 4,1 and 5,1 (2009 and 2012 respectively, loaded up with 32gb ram and 1tb SSD's etc...)..... but have lots of friends ask, and will freely admit to being a "newb" on this...

I personally would rather spend the extra money on a "real" mac (which, I think I just got the 2012 last summer with the 32gb ram etc for pretty cheap), I know you could spec out a PC running the OS for probably half the price, but I am working all the time, and don't want to deal with the additional headache ontop of the ones I already have.......

So newb question on this: is the maintenance on these machines far more then a regular mac (once set up etc)? With every OSX update (say going from 10.9.4 to to 10.9.5, or just "security updates" require an inordinate amount of time to accomplish? Or is it easy peasy?

thanks for putting up with the "basic question", and I know there are plenty of forums on the inter webs about it, I'm just asking here because I am basically just asking guys utilizing it for AUDIO use....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search