The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
is my motu 828mkII broken!!
Old 19th March 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by louis1 View Post
And even though i don't fully understand the aggregate vs adat workflow thing just yet, can i ask would i be best to just get my head around the aggregate thing,even though its a bit more involved as i'll only probably want to do it in the long run anyway, or will i just be complicating things for myself, and if you think the aggregate approach is the way to go,do i still connect via adat pipe or firewire.
All this asked and said i do appreciate that you haven't worked with this particular unit, but any of your wisdom on this is truly appreciated.
Why don't you start by using the Mk2 as ADAT only -- in and out of the MK 3. that way you will do everything inside the MK3 interface software and not have to use 2 different interface panels.

If the "main outs" are unique (and not a mirror of 1&2), then just monitor those and use 8 outs from each unit for your summing stems. If you need 2 more, then do the "trick": it may work on the Mk3 as well -- use those "sends" as your monitors and the front panel as your main summing returns (which you are doing anyway). then borrow the main outs for another pair of outputs for summing.

Back to the pre problem: if your signal is too hot and you can't bypass the front preamps, go into 1 & 2 TRS inputs on the rear. There are definitely no preamps on the back.
Old 20th March 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
Why don't you start by using the Mk2 as ADAT only -- in and out of the MK 3. that way you will do everything inside the MK3 interface software and not have to use 2 different interface panels.

If the "main outs" are unique (and not a mirror of 1&2), then just monitor those and use 8 outs from each unit for your summing stems. If you need 2 more, then do the "trick": it may work on the Mk3 as well -- use those "sends" as your monitors and the front panel as your main summing returns (which you are doing anyway). then borrow the main outs for another pair of outputs for summing.

Back to the pre problem: if your signal is too hot and you can't bypass the front preamps, go into 1 & 2 TRS inputs on the rear. There are definitely no preamps on the back.

Nice one

As soon as i get time in the week i will try all this out so thanks for all your info goldi.
Old 1st April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post

Hi goldi

I have now realised that i can come into the inputs on the back which is cool, i had tried it before but realise that i didn't have it configured properly, as i know you and others were telling me to try it.

I have received and connected the mk3 to the mkll with 2 optical adat cables…out to in / in to out. But before i connected them i plugged the firewire into the mikll and made its internal clock to optical adat and optical output to optical adat in motu firewire audio config and powered down.

Swapped out the firewire cable to the mk3 and powered up both units with the only physical connection between the two units being the optical cables and loaded a song in logic.

The clock on the mkll is flashing at 44.1 and i can't get a sound out of it. The mk3 is working fine with no flashing, I selected a synths buss that i had on outs 9/10 of the mk3 and switched it onto the next group buss out of logic which says output 11/12 which i would assume would be 1 an 2 outs on the mkll if I'm correct but also tried 13/14 because of the numerical motu thing, but no sound and no front panel analog out light indicating a signal in those channels.

After this I've been trying things in cuemixe and the front pannel of the mk3 but don't seem to be getting anywhere fast so I've obviously missed something again

Update….the flashing on the mkll has stopped, i rechecked all my cables and one of the adats had popped out…so now at least the mkll is showing that its locked into the same clock at 44.1, but still no sound.

Last edited by louis1; 1st April 2016 at 09:07 PM..
Old 6th April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Bingo, I've sorted out my problem getting the 828mkll to slave of the mk3 to give me 16 outs to my mixer. I had followed a walkthrough on motu's website which showed how to configure this to work from the adat connections, but i was getting no sound out of the mkll, i went over it a few times but tonight i flicked over the setting of the main mix bus 1 /2 /3 /4 to Analog 1-2 3-4 5-6 7-8 instead of Adat 1-2 3-4 etc,.

But talk about a long time getting to this for me at least!! anyhow wanted to post this for anyone else trying to configure these because i didn't find it that straight forward, but the end result was well worth it. I can now get back to trying to make some music.
📝 Reply