The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
is my motu 828mkII broken!!
Old 3rd February 2016 | Show parent
  #31
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis1 View Post
Hi, if i turn off logics input monitoring and use cue mix do i leave it like this all the time if all i want to do is sum through my mixer..?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis1 View Post
plus once i have my mix how i want it can i then bounce it like this in cue mix or do i have to turn input monitoring back on..
You don't bounce in Cuemix, it's just a monitoring facility built into the 828mkII.

Simply record the stereo output of your desk into a stereo track in Logic. Leave input monitoring in Logic off.
Old 3rd February 2016 | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
OMG this thread -- Louis louis louis -- turn off your logic monitoring. I can't imagine anything worse than sticking pins in your eyes. Do all your monitoring from CUEMIX -- re-read the above posts and everywhere you see "monitor", replace it with "monitor in CUEMIX". Use logic to do what it does -- record and playback. don't use it for monitoring. This is the source of all your problems. Find your summed A/D inputs in CUEMIX, turn those up. make sure they're also selected in MOTU setup as your "default stereo inputs". i can't believe i'm typing this again, re-read my posts above and stop bugging MOTU cause you didn't read the manual. reminds me of a famous line from this thread .. WTF
Hi goldi, thanks for your detailed advice this time around, I did read your posts , but I'm sorry they made feel more confused than i was already. And I would not say that I've been bugging Motu!!!.

As far as I can tell it's me who has been advised wrongly by one of there employees.

Just me I thought I'd put my problem across quite well, it really began to feel that we weren't talking about the same thing.

I did read the manual but I don't pretend to be an expert at reading manuals ,and tbh if anyone can pull this off without having any previous experience with converters then my hat's off to you.

Anyway that's what I try to do is talk to the horses head instead of its #### so to speak, sorry you feel put out.

Louis
Old 3rd February 2016
  #33
Lives for gear
yeah it's easy to get confused, which is why we have been trying to push you in the right direction! your goal is to send everything out, then listen to ONLY the 2 inputs that return your final stereo (summed) audio. this is MOTU's job, not logic's: interfaces provide zero-latency monitoring because you are listening to the actual signal BEFORE it's sent to logic. logic can't touch zero-latency! so all you have to do is tell motu which inputs are the ones carrying your final signal, and turn off all monitoring in logic so you don't get any confusing audio coming back at you. FYI i do this everyday with 32 summed tracks and 3 MOTU devices (controlling 6 converters) connected via aggregate audio (mac). works like a charm, good luck.
Old 3rd February 2016 | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
timemist's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
yeah it's easy to get confused, which is why we have been trying to push you in the right direction! your goal is to send everything out, then listen to ONLY the 2 inputs that return your final stereo (summed) audio. this is MOTU's job, not logic's: interfaces provide zero-latency monitoring because you are listening to the actual signal BEFORE it's sent to logic. logic can't touch zero-latency! so all you have to do is tell motu which inputs are the ones carrying your final signal, and turn off all monitoring in logic so you don't get any confusing audio coming back at you. FYI i do this everyday with 32 summed tracks and 3 MOTU devices (controlling 6 converters) connected via aggregate audio (mac). works like a charm, good luck.
Exactly.

Bottom line, the 828 is not broken, you have to fix your setup.
Old 3rd February 2016 | Show parent
  #35
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by timemist View Post
Exactly.

Bottom line, the 828 is not broken, you have to fix your setup.
Well thats good to hear, and i am trying to fix my setup… goldi has given me what looks to be the best explanation I've had yet in the post before yours.

I,m now in cue mix ,but you guessed it still having problems how to get this to work….Do i turn off (input monitoring only for focussed track,and record-enabled tracks) option.

Or do i turn of (software monitoring) option ,or both?

I have tried either one and both without any results so i guess this has to be a simple one step at a time walk through for dummies like me.

Im in Logic X.

I wouldn't just be lazy and ask at the first hurdle as have been in cue mix now for an hour with logic preferences page, cue mix page and a number of i/o plugs on the screen and to say i was in a right mess trying to sort this out is an under statement.

Louis
Old 3rd February 2016 | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
Heres where i am,…

In Logic X i have all three tabs "which are next to each other" un-ticked with monitor in the title.

At this point it looks like i can send my busses out by either….

A - Setting the track/tracks in question to the hardware OUT.

B - Using the i/o plugin…..And if it is this one how do i need to have it set.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am now in cue mix, I notice that I'm given the options of Analog 1-8 inputs, Mic/instruments 1-2 inputs, and a stereo S/PDIF which lets just leave out for now as i won't be using it.

How do i now get TO listen to my 4 stereo summed pairs…in time on my mixer!!!!

At this point, what do i need to do…It is only 4 stereo summed pairs and I'm not even interested in recording them until they sound in time on my desk..

Cheers Louis.
Old 3rd February 2016
  #37
Lives for gear
go option A! just send them out. i guess you're doing 4 stereo pairs to your 8 outputs? it doesn't really matter, just bring the final stereo (summed) return from your mixer back into the front panel via TRS (not XLR). then in CUEMIX raise the "mic / instrument 1-2 inputs" << this is what you will be monitoring and you will hear your mix from logic in perfect sync. in CUEMIX you can lower the others or not, it doesn't matter unless you have something going into those other 8 inputs. which it sounds like you don't , so don't worry about it. you can hook up a mic or whatever to record on those inputs without messing with your summing playback.

the other big deal is to make sure all your tracks in logic are routed to 1 of the 4 pairs of outputs. otherwise they will be going out your MOTU main outputs (which is what you should be monitoring the whole thing with. i think this is the default setting so don't worry about it).

you're getting closer
Old 3rd February 2016 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
timemist's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by louis1 View Post
Well thats good to hear, and i am trying to fix my setup… goldi has given me what looks to be the best explanation I've had yet in the post before yours.

I,m now in cue mix ,but you guessed it still having problems how to get this to work….Do i turn off (input monitoring only for focussed track,and record-enabled tracks) option.

Or do i turn of (software monitoring) option ,or both?

I have tried either one and both without any results so i guess this has to be a simple one step at a time walk through for dummies like me.

Im in Logic X.

I wouldn't just be lazy and ask at the first hurdle as have been in cue mix now for an hour with logic preferences page, cue mix page and a number of i/o plugs on the screen and to say i was in a right mess trying to sort this out is an under statement.

Louis
First, go into Logic Pro and turn on Low Latency Mode.

Second, in CueMix, here is what MOTU has to say:

Quote:
What is CueMix?

If your host application can't patch through an input while recording, or if you desire lower latency then patching thru your host apps provides, then you can use our CueMix Console*. Digital Performer and AudioDesk users can access low or no latency monitoring via the "Direct hardware patch thru" option and thus may not need to use CueMix as frequently. When using CueMix you will not be able to use your host's effects with your inputs. More details about the use of CueMix are available in your MOTU hardware manual.
Old 4th February 2016 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by timemist View Post
First, go into Logic Pro and turn on Low Latency Mode.

Second, in CueMix, here is what MOTU has to say:
Thanks time mist, but just reading that makes me wish i'd done a degree in nuclear physics...... ha ha...its not that i'd like to think that I'm a bit green around the edges with things that make sense....

But...

I'm slowly realising that it could be possible to do that humble little 4-stereo thing that i want to do....

Wipes Brow...

Would this get any easier with an up to date Mother...F***ing interface, or would my issues still be this complicated.

At this point i would quite happily buy another one.....

And just give this to someone i don't like!!!

This is ,if not there already, verging on ridiculous!!!

Ive made a few fairly good tunes on an M1 and an Akia S950 plus mixer - back in the day, and is all you had was a poxey little screen menu, and a few farty keys to sort it out, but now with all this big Screen real estate with our monitors,...These interface Manufactures don't imo make this easy or common knowledge.

Louis.
Old 4th February 2016 | Show parent
  #40
Lives for gear
 
timemist's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by louis1 View Post
Would this get any easier with an up to date Mother...F***ing interface, or would my issues still be this complicated..
It would be the same result, you would be spending money trying to chase down a problem that can be fixed with the correct settings on your current i/o or any new one you'd purchase.
Old 4th February 2016 | Show parent
  #41
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by timemist View Post
It would be the same result, you would be spending money trying to chase down a problem that can be fixed with the correct settings on your current i/o or any new one you'd purchase.
Thanks timeist, going off what you say there, means that I should at least try and make this work first with what I've got.

To think then, that this method "what ever it is hasn't changed in 13 or more years " is refreshing, if only I knew what to do next.

Louis
Old 4th February 2016
  #42
Lives for gear
louis -- why don't you post a picture of your cuemix and motu audio setup? what do you have selected as your main inputs and outputs in motu audio setup? and have you done the wiring?
Old 5th February 2016 | Show parent
  #43
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
louis -- why don't you post a picture of your cuemix and motu audio setup? what do you have selected as your main inputs and outputs in motu audio setup? and have you done the wiring?
Thanks goldi, but i think i might have got it ,almost.

Ive done what you have said....i have made 4 busses on AUX's in logic, from here I've sent them to the hardware outs like this.

Drum Buss.....output 3/4

Bass Buss......output 5/6

Synths Buss...output 7/8

Vocals Buss....output 9/10

Each pair wired to 8 mono channels panned hard left,hard right to my mixer...

Then the main mixer outputs wired back into the front mic/line inputs of the motu using trs jacks.

Turned up the mic/line ins fader and panned hard left and right in cue mix,plus muted all other inputs in cue mix, this giving the return channels to monitor off.

Wow,,,,this actually works, so thank you for your detailed reply.

But after deciding that i wanted my kick and snare on there own mono channel faders on my mixer and set the pan knob dead centre for these.

Going back in logic i then set the kick to output 3, and the snare to output 4 there by giving each its own mono output.

My snare on output 4 is not in time with the rest of the track...its badly out of sync. If i change the outputs back to 3/4 then everything is bang on in sync so now I'm baffled again!!!

Checked everything over and over changing the kick and snare back and forth from a stereo pair,"no timing issues" to separate mono channels and bam!! out of sync.

It does not seem to like it if you split the output to dedicated mono outputs.

Have you ever had this problem.

Also i realise that my master buss chain is now not in use, so is there a way around that or is it a case that you can't expect everything this way.

Cheers Louis
Old 5th February 2016
  #44
Lives for gear
nice! first off, you lose the "master buss" that you once had. but you now have 4 (or 6 with 2 mono). so you would have to copy those effects over to those busses. this is a great time to pick up some hardware -- that's what this is all about. summing gives you separation and hardware brings it all back together with magic. thank god we're in music computers or the summing naysayers would come find us!

the other problem about your snare -- i'm going to guess that this is some unknown simple thing. analog outputs don't care what you're doing -- each single output is in mono. it's your mixer that routes / pans the signal. so it's probably something inside your DAW, since the analog route is exactly the same both ways. did you disable all plugins to make sure it's not one of them delaying the signal on the way out? what is different on your DAW track settings between the stereo and double mono versions?

aside: in CUEMIX there is a mono / stereo toggle on the tops of each channel pair. so instead of panning one left and 2 right, just hit the stereo button and it will do that for you.
Old 7th February 2016 | Show parent
  #45
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
nice! first off, you lose the "master buss" that you once had. but you now have 4 (or 6 with 2 mono). so you would have to copy those effects over to those busses. this is a great time to pick up some hardware -- that's what this is all about. summing gives you separation and hardware brings it all back together with magic. thank god we're in music computers or the summing naysayers would come find us!

the other problem about your snare -- i'm going to guess that this is some unknown simple thing. analog outputs don't care what you're doing -- each single output is in mono. it's your mixer that routes / pans the signal. so it's probably something inside your DAW, since the analog route is exactly the same both ways. did you disable all plugins to make sure it's not one of them delaying the signal on the way out? what is different on your DAW track settings between the stereo and double mono versions?

aside: in CUEMIX there is a mono / stereo toggle on the tops of each channel pair. so instead of panning one left and 2 right, just hit the stereo button and it will do that for you.

Hi goldi, thanks i managed to sort out the mono snare, the only way i could get it to be in sync was to set it to outs 3/4 with my kick but then pan them hard left, right in logic and then pan them both centre on mono faders.

Is it possible to print this back in logic once you have a mix your happy with.

I hear you on the hardware police, it makes me laugh but yeah I've got a fair bit of outboard though i wouldn't call it high end, but i like what it does.

Cheers Louis
Old 7th February 2016 | Show parent
  #46
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by louis1 View Post
Hi goldi, thanks i managed to sort out the mono snare, the only way i could get it to be in sync was to set it to outs 3/4 with my kick but then pan them hard left, right in logic and then pan them both centre on mono faders.

Is it possible to print this back in logic once you have a mix your happy with.
yes -- what you hear is what you will print. your analog board determines the final sound and doesn't care about pan settings in logic. as a matter of fact, I set my DAW output channels all to mono (with no pan pot) and let my summing mixers determine whether its left, right or center. I find the less my DAW does, the better everything sounds. of course, you may run into your bizarre sync problem though -- I'm sure you will figure this out by mistake when you're least expecting it. it's some small thing we are overlooking.
Old 18th February 2016 | Show parent
  #47
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
yes -- what you hear is what you will print. your analog board determines the final sound and doesn't care about pan settings in logic. as a matter of fact, I set my DAW output channels all to mono (with no pan pot) and let my summing mixers determine whether its left, right or center. I find the less my DAW does, the better everything sounds. of course, you may run into your bizarre sync problem though -- I'm sure you will figure this out by mistake when you're least expecting it. it's some small thing we are overlooking.
Well I'm loving my new way of working after getting to the bottom of how to wire this up, absolutely loving it.

I decided to utilise the headphone out socket as another stereo out there by giving me 5 stereo pair's.

But unfortunately there is a load of computer noise in the background to the point it's unusable.

I have tried tracking it down and it's definitely the firewire cable to the mac that's causing it.

I made sure nothing else was connected to my interface and mixer to rule out ground loops plus made a few different cable's to try taking the earth screen on one end and without a screen altogether...
but no dice.

If I plug my headphones in then it's perfect but as soon as I take the signal to my mixer then i get loads of sh**y digital spit interference.

Just to be clear this only happens on the headphone outs when trying to use them as an extra pair of outs, and does not happen to any other outputs as they all sound like there working perfect.

Obviously the headphone out is a stereo 1/4 jack so as opposed to two trs balanced jacks you get on the back, is it wired so different inside the unit as to cause this interference.
Old 18th February 2016 | Show parent
  #48
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
OMG this thread -- Louis louis louis -- turn off your logic monitoring. I can't imagine anything worse than sticking pins in your eyes. Do all your monitoring from CUEMIX -- re-read the above posts and everywhere you see "monitor", replace it with "monitor in CUEMIX". Use logic to do what it does -- record and playback. don't use it for monitoring. This is the source of all your problems. Find your summed A/D inputs in CUEMIX, turn those up. make sure they're also selected in MOTU setup as your "default stereo inputs". i can't believe i'm typing this again, re-read my posts above and stop bugging MOTU cause you didn't read the manual. reminds me of a famous line from this thread .. WTF
Ding Ding Ding

Im confused as to why your using AUX sends in Logic in the first place? Why arent you just using a dedicated output buss for the those sub groups you are making?

Your stereo mix from your external Mixer just gets input into the CueMix on an input pair and you just record that as was mentioned

Last edited by Deleted User; 19th February 2016 at 05:30 PM..
Old 18th February 2016 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by louis1 View Post
Well I'm loving my new way of working after getting to the bottom of how to wire this up, absolutely loving it.

I decided to utilise the headphone out socket as another stereo out there by giving me 5 stereo pair's.

But unfortunately there is a load of computer noise in the background to the point it's unusable.

I have tried tracking it down and it's definitely the firewire cable to the mac that's causing it.

I made sure nothing else was connected to my interface and mixer to rule out ground loops plus made a few different cable's to try taking the earth screen on one end and without a screen altogether...
but no dice.

If I plug my headphones in then it's perfect but as soon as I take the signal to my mixer then i get loads of sh**y digital spit interference.

Just to be clear this only happens on the headphone outs when trying to use them as an extra pair of outs, and does not happen to any other outputs as they all sound like there working perfect.

Obviously the headphone out is a stereo 1/4 jack so as opposed to two trs balanced jacks you get on the back, is it wired so different inside the unit as to cause this interference.
Here's a better 5 stereo out trick that works if you are using the front mic inputs (but use the TRS) as your final capture. Instead of using the "main outs" to monitor your mix, use the "sends" on the back, then you can use the main outs as another output pair. i.e., you don't have to dedicate those to monitoring since the "sends" are already monitoring the front inputs, which is bringing in your final summed mix.

as far as headphone noise, make sure you are not sending the entire mix to the headphones. MOTU pretty much defaults to this. I use the headphone outs to send side chains to compressors. they work great for this, not sure i'd trust them for audio but i haven't really tried.
Old 19th February 2016 | Show parent
  #50
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
Here's a better 5 stereo out trick that works if you are using the front mic inputs (but use the TRS) as your final capture. Instead of using the "main outs" to monitor your mix, use the "sends" on the back, then you can use the main outs as another output pair. i.e., you don't have to dedicate those to monitoring since the "sends" are already monitoring the front inputs, which is bringing in your final summed mix.

as far as headphone noise, make sure you are not sending the entire mix to the headphones. MOTU pretty much defaults to this. I use the headphone outs to send side chains to compressors. they work great for this, not sure i'd trust them for audio but i haven't really tried.
Thanks that sounds like an excellent trick so will try it tonight, but I think this points me in the direction that I should probably upgrade my interface when the pennies allow.

Can I ask when you say that your side chaining through the headphone outs, are you using itb eq's to effect your comps.

Louis
Old 19th February 2016 | Show parent
  #51
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by louis1 View Post
Can I ask when you say that your side chaining through the headphone outs, are you using itb eq's to effect your comps.

Louis
that trick is why I love this unit and have held onto it so long.

the side chain comment was confusing, but I meant that I use the headphone output to send the key to a compressor that's side chained on a stereo bus, usually just a kick drum that triggers the compressor. That audio doesn't get used in the final mix so I'd rather use headphone outputs than DA outs.
Old 19th February 2016 | Show parent
  #52
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
that trick is why I love this unit and have held onto it so long.

the side chain comment was confusing, but I meant that I use the headphone output to send the key to a compressor that's side chained on a stereo bus, usually just a kick drum that triggers the compressor. That audio doesn't get used in the final mix so I'd rather use headphone outputs than DA outs.
Cool gotcha on the side chain, but if the signal sent through it is not in the audio path then I suppose you could send itb eq out to our hardware comp's to effect what frequency the compressor reacts to from that headphone output.

Yeah I too really like this interface now so am wondering whether to just get another and daisy chain them together, there by giving me more than enough outs as I only have a 16-4-2 mixer.

But as it stands now using the motu main outs as an extra stereo pair and the sends to monitor..., am I still able to print back into logic with this configuration, because this would make me really happy for now.

Louis
Old 19th February 2016 | Show parent
  #53
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Ding Ding Ding

Im confused as to why your using AUX sends in Logic in the first place? Why arent you just using a dedicated output buss for the those sub groups you are making?

Your stereo mix from your external Mixer just gets input into the CueMix on an input pair and you just record that as was mentioned
Hi, not wanting to confuse you, but I'm just used to logic creating an aux as soon as you send or create a buss, but yeah you got me thinking now, it could be my misinterpretation of it.

When I get the chance, hopefully this evening l need to have a look at how logic creates busses.

The reason I create busses is so I can group sounds within hopefully certain frequency's before sending them to the mixer so that I can fine tune said buss with a little bit of my mixers eq, because in my case this is where I get a bit of mojo plus the summing aspect of it.
Old 19th February 2016 | Show parent
  #54
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Ding Ding Ding

Im confused as to why your using AUX sends in Logic in the first place? Why arent you just using a dedicated output buss for the those sub groups you are making?

Your stereo mix from your external Mixer just gets input into the CueMix on an input pair and you just record that as was mentioned
Sorry, but after rereading your post again I think I get what you are saying.

Instead of making grouped busses, l can just send multiple logics tracks out to the same hardware outs?

In the back of my mind, I'm sure I've tried it, but looks like I need to have another look.

Thanks
Old 19th February 2016
  #55
Deleted User
Guest
Grouped busses are fine bro, not what Im saying really.

What Im saying is that if you do a group buss like you normally do then assign each track you want on that bus then on that bus just select the ind output pair. Im trying to figure out why you would use an AUX send as I think THIS is where your timing issue may be coming from?? Then again, I may be wrong here

This is assuming you are monitoring the summing mix from your mixer and NOT the tracks or busses on the Main Output bus in Logic

IF you are using an AUX Send to route the signal to the GROUP BUS then out the group bus to your mixer I can see where it will allow you to adjust the volume of each track assigned to the Group Bus, BUT, if you move a fader it will have no effect on the volume of the track going to the group UNLESS you have the AUX set to POST instead of PRE.

I may be complicating this, just thinking here, tell me to shut up or ignore if Im confusing things.

IF I were summing thats how I would do it anyway, Ill take a look at Logic in a bit and see what I see in regards to bussing
Old 20th February 2016 | Show parent
  #56
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Grouped busses are fine bro, not what Im saying really.

What Im saying is that if you do a group buss like you normally do then assign each track you want on that bus then on that bus just select the ind output pair. Im trying to figure out why you would use an AUX send as I think THIS is where your timing issue may be coming from?? Then again, I may be wrong here

This is assuming you are monitoring the summing mix from your mixer and NOT the tracks or busses on the Main Output bus in Logic

IF you are using an AUX Send to route the signal to the GROUP BUS then out the group bus to your mixer I can see where it will allow you to adjust the volume of each track assigned to the Group Bus, BUT, if you move a fader it will have no effect on the volume of the track going to the group UNLESS you have the AUX set to POST instead of PRE.

I may be complicating this, just thinking here, tell me to shut up or ignore if Im confusing things.

IF I were summing thats how I would do it anyway, Ill take a look at Logic in a bit and see what I see in regards to bussing

Thanks for your input, and a big thank you for being the first person to enter this thread to try and help me....yep i'm sad and read things through.

But trying to use compensate i/o plugin delay was my first problem, ....from what i've learnt to get to where i am now is that you turn logics internal monitoring off...

And use cue mix ...

The thing what has surprised me now is that even working this way with all the aux'es reverb send's going to buses here or buses there, plus with logics internal monitoring off.....Everything is in time....It works but I'm still i bit confused to why it dose, but ill get over it because it does.

And a big thank you to everyone else that has chimed in, if i haven't thanked you already....GS is great and all that, But i definatly owe goldi a drink
Old 20th February 2016
  #57
Deleted User
Guest
Old 18th March 2016 | Show parent
  #58
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
that trick is why I love this unit and have held onto it so long.

the side chain comment was confusing, but I meant that I use the headphone output to send the key to a compressor that's side chained on a stereo bus, usually just a kick drum that triggers the compressor. That audio doesn't get used in the final mix so I'd rather use headphone outputs than DA outs.
Hi goldi

I come straight back to you as i know you'll be able to help me, as you really helped me out last time, plus totally got what i was trying to do.

Ive now got the motu mk3 FW aswell which has supposedly got better conversion plus the other upgrades so does it make sense to have this as the main interface and have the mkll as a sort of slave for the extra i/o, plus because you knew what i was trying to do last time do i still need to come into the mic/ins on the front of the mk3…..to capture the main mix from my mixer.

At present i have just swapped out the interfaces and run firmware and driver updates first so everything ok there, and all outputs seem to be working fine too my mixer but the mic ins seem to be struggling with the return signal being to hot.

I just thought id try it this way first before i get ahead of myself as the next thing i need to know whats the best way to get these to talk to each other. firewire, light pipe, word clock , and or aggregate.

Sorry for a very needy post.

Cheers louis
Old 19th March 2016 | Show parent
  #59
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by louis1 View Post
Hi goldi

I come straight back to you as i know you'll be able to help me, as you really helped me out last time, plus totally got what i was trying to do.

Ive now got the motu mk3 FW aswell which has supposedly got better conversion plus the other upgrades so does it make sense to have this as the main interface and have the mkll as a sort of slave for the extra i/o, plus because you knew what i was trying to do last time do i still need to come into the mic/ins on the front of the mk3…..to capture the main mix from my mixer.

At present i have just swapped out the interfaces and run firmware and driver updates first so everything ok there, and all outputs seem to be working fine too my mixer but the mic ins seem to be struggling with the return signal being to hot.

I just thought id try it this way first before i get ahead of myself as the next thing i need to know whats the best way to get these to talk to each other. firewire, light pipe, word clock , and or aggregate.

Sorry for a very needy post.

Cheers louis
Hey Louis!

I've never used that interface but it looks like it has the same exact functionality as the mk 2 but better. so you can route everything the same as you had with the 2. you can use the mark 2 by either ADAT into the mk 3, or via aggregate audio.

ADAT: you would use the mk 3 as your interface and within that software you can see the ADAT inputs and outputs. those are your mk 2.

Aggregate: combine the 2 in Apple "audio midi" settings. then you would see all the available ports of each device. this can get confusing but it's more powerful than ADAT because you have more than just 8 audio ports available. (you have every port of each device available).

But either way works, do whatever is easier. Now you can sum out 16 channels!

As far as the hot signal -- make sure you're not amplifying it twice? what's it coming out of? there should be trims on the front of the MOTU. Or switch the signal from XLR to TRS for a 14 db drop (this will bypass the MOTU preamp).
Old 19th March 2016 | Show parent
  #60
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
Hey Louis!

I've never used that interface but it looks like it has the same exact functionality as the mk 2 but better. so you can route everything the same as you had with the 2. you can use the mark 2 by either ADAT into the mk 3, or via aggregate audio.

ADAT: you would use the mk 3 as your interface and within that software you can see the ADAT inputs and outputs. those are your mk 2.

Aggregate: combine the 2 in Apple "audio midi" settings. then you would see all the available ports of each device. this can get confusing but it's more powerful than ADAT because you have more than just 8 audio ports available. (you have every port of each device available).

But either way works, do whatever is easier. Now you can sum out 16 channels!

As far as the hot signal -- make sure you're not amplifying it twice? what's it coming out of? there should be trims on the front of the MOTU. Or switch the signal from XLR to TRS for a 14 db drop (this will bypass the MOTU preamp).
Cool, thanks again goldi,

I tried the switches on the front but they made no difference so i wonder if theres an obtainable setting within the unit.I have sort of read/browsed over the manual but theres a lot to take in at first.
What i did notice in the manual was not to plug a +4 signal into this input wether it be mic or instrument so it seems a bit confusing as the returned stereo pair from my mixer is +4. I think it said the same in the mkII manual, but it could take it with headroom to boot...
With these two interfaces combined giving me 16 outs to my mixer, i don't mind sacrificing 2 for a stereo pair back in if it makes it more easier workflow wise, as i'm wondering this way i could have 1 main software buss or am i not getting this in the right direction. As i realised that with the mkII trick, yes it was cool to get that extra stereo pair i could not consolidate it all down to a software stereo buss pair to print. but this could also be my greenness around the edges in all of this.

And even though i don't fully understand the aggregate vs adat workflow thing just yet, can i ask would i be best to just get my head around the aggregate thing,even though its a bit more involved as i'll only probably want to do it in the long run anyway, or will i just be complicating things for myself, and if you think the aggregate approach is the way to go,do i still connect via adat pipe or firewire.
All this asked and said i do appreciate that you haven't worked with this particular unit, but any of your wisdom on this is truly appreciated.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 184 views: 73683
Avatar for audiomizer
audiomizer 22nd June 2015
replies: 35 views: 8187
Avatar for soundsdeepcom
soundsdeepcom 22nd November 2014
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump