The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DAW Controller that does all of this ...
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Nut

DAW Controller that does all of this ...

Hi all

I'm looking into buying a DAW (currently Cubase SX) control surface, but can't find one that does / has all of the following:

- Jog / Shuttle wheel
- Rec / Start / Stop etc. buttons
- A couple of rotary controls to edit VST instruments / FX
- One (or more) motorized faders, ideally with some panning, mute, solo controls
- Ideally, some sort of display

I can't believe there is no controller that has all those features. Looks like they are either designed as mixers (lacking the controls for VSTs, like the MCU, Motormix, Tascam, Alphatrack, Faderport, Behringer, Alesis Mastercontrol etc.) or VST controllers (Novation remote, Behringer etc.) which are missing the transport controls.

Yes I know I could get a Mackie with extension, but that's more than what I'm willing to spend. My budget is approx. US$ 700-800 max.

Am I missing something? Anything on the horizon that will fit my needs? Or do I really have to go with 2 or even 3 individual controllers?

Thanks
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

I would vote at least 2 different controllers.

Tamas Dragon
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

A Mackie Control has 'some rotary controls' (8) with which you can edit VST instruments / FX. It has everything you need actually...
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Nut

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM View Post
A Mackie Control has 'some rotary controls' (8) with which you can edit VST instruments / FX. It has everything you need actually...
I didn't know the rotary knobs could be used to access VST parameters. Thought they were "hardcoded" to some track parameter. Unfortunately, never had a chance to try one. Could someone with experience in using the MCU in SX explain what the workflow is like to access VST(i) settings? For example, does the display automatically show the parameter names? What if there are more than 8 parameters ? Sorry if those are dumb questions, but as I said, I never had an opportunity for some hands on testing.

Thanks!
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraCore View Post
Could someone with experience in using the MCU in SX explain what the workflow is like to access VST(i) settings? For example, does the display automatically show the parameter names? What if there are more than 8 parameters ? Sorry if those are dumb questions, but as I said, I never had an opportunity for some hands on testing.
When you have a channel selected, you can see in the display all plugins on the channel in plugin mode. Simply select a plugin to edit it. All parameters of that plugin are shown with name and value in the display then, in banks of 8 parameters thru which you can browse back and forth.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

well im goin with 2 x behringer BCF2000 + a Frontier Designs Tranzport.

the behringers will give me faders, some soft key buttons and encoders while the Tranzport gives me, well, my transport controls!

since this solution is modular if one of the BCFs goes on the blink i can just replace it for €250 or less, which is much easier than if i had dropped €1K on an MCU and it loses a fader, which is apparently quite a common occurence.

again, if the Tranzport oes down i can get it replaced cheaply while still having operational faders.

i know everybody rags on Behringer, but as long as it doesnt pass audio then im happy enough to use it for some tactile interfacing with my software.

just my thoughts, ymmv.

and sure all of this crap is gonna be out of date, unsupported, unconnectable and BROKEN in a couple of years anyway, so why get stuck with a big all-in-one expensive piece of soon to be junk?

ymmv,

regards,

richie.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Steinberg Houston will do all of that (including the VST).

you can probably dig one up in the $250-$300 range. It will only work with Nuendo and Cubase though.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Nut

Very helpful. Thanks for your comments. thumbsup Might have to take a close look at the MCU again. Maybe if I'm lucky prices will drop a little soon, since Mackie introduced that new version heh
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnjazz View Post
Steinberg Houston will do all of that (including the VST).

you can probably dig one up in the $250-$300 range. It will only work with Nuendo and Cubase though.
It worked well with SX 3 and presumable Nuendo 3. It has issues with Cubase 4, at least for my setup. Basically the connection gets lost spontaneously and often. Perhaps the next update will rectify this, or perhaps Steinberg view it the way they view Midex and SX 3 -- not worth supporting any longer.

I seem to recall issues with VST instrument control too.

If anyone is thinking of going that route, investigate before committing. Search the Cubase 4 forum.
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Addict

www.ebay.de currently has a Steinberg Houston controller on auction.
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Addict

The Tranzport rocks....!!
Old 2nd March 2009
Lives for gear
Paulo, tell me you plan to sell these?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search