The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HOW DOES 'MODELING' WORK!?
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Ok, so when I play my guitar through my Pod, what the hell is used to create the 'models'? Or when I load up a plugin that is a model of say, an 1176 compressor, or a Neve eq, what is going on on a mathematical level? How do they 'capture' the sound of a given piece of equipment? Is it just some sort of eq/frequency response signature? How do 1's and 0's used to replicate an analog (physical world) sound? This has been driving me crazy lately, so I want to push on through the bull**** world of marketing and buzzwords to understand what is happening here at a base level.

This thread is not meant to 'bash modeling' at all (in fact it's fine with me as long as it sounds good!).

halcyo
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

In my opinion..... it works poorly.

Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post

In my opinion..... it works poorly.

Do you like McDSP Analog Channel? There's gotta be at least one modelled product you like. =)

To the OP - It works by carefully and painstakingly measuring the acoustic signature of each stage the signal passes through in a given device. It takes a while, and it is a lot of work. It is really just alot of mesurments combined to create an algorithm that forms a sonic signature. Make sense? lol
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

you record A440 direct and also through a real amp, then try to imitate that difference.

thats simplified, its a lot of fukin math and time
Old 29th January 2007

When you pass an audio signal through an analog device, all you are really doing is sending an electric current through a series of resistors, capacitors, op-amps, transformers, tubes, variable resistors (knobs) etc. These things modify the signal in mathematically predictable ways (in some respects anyway!), that can be confirmed with painstaking measurements. (ie a certain resistor in series with a resistance of 10Ohms will change an audio signal in a different way than a resistor at 1000Ohms; remember Ohm's Law from high skook physiks?) A plugin model is basically a set of code that includes an algorithm that takes as an input an audio signal represented digitally, and then "models" the hardware by sending the signal through "virtual components" thus coloring and changing the sound in a way similar to what a hardware version would.

of course these are just emulations, and can only capture the behavior of real outboard units, and to varying degrees of success the "sound." They have been getting better though, but a good modeling plug can be very DSP intensive.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-OIART View Post
Do you like McDSP Analog Channel? There's gotta be at least one modelled product you like. =)

To the OP - It works by carefully and painstakingly measuring the acoustic signature of each stage the signal passes through in a given device. It takes a while, and it is a lot of work. It is really just alot of mesurments combined to create an algorithm that forms a sonic signature. Make sense? lol

I've been demo-ing analog channel for a week now. Can someone explain to me what's so great about it? So far I've just found that it adds not-very-nice-digital-sounding-crackling to my sounds.
I guess it might do better on percussive stuff like snares.

A

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search