The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD Buying question Audio Interfaces
Old 25th January 2016
Gear Nut

UAD Buying question

Hi all,
so I have an Apollo Twin USB on back order from before Christmas, it is now showing it may be shipping around mid February. In the meantime I bought a Babyface Pro which I really like, plus I added a Rode NT2a mic.
I have a lot of Waves plugin, I subscribe to the Slate plugins and have several other native plugins also.
So my question, from what I have been reading, an Apollo Twin will run out of DSP very fast, in my case I use VSTs for music and apply the most plugins to the vocals and mixbus. The only live tracking I do it the vocal and guitars.
My PC has 32 gigs of memory and an i7-4790 processor.

With an Apollo Twin I would like it for the vocal recording and the extra utility it provides with recording in realtime with compressors etc and the pre modelling.

The Apollo Twin on backorder was on sale for $699 and so I could add in another Duo pcie card or even add in a quad (which it seems the plugin package for the Quad makes it a free double on processing if you take into account the price of the extra plugins bundled vs a Duo)

I suppose a question here would be, will I be that blown away for the UAD plugins vs the native ones I have? There are a couple of the plugins in the bundles which i don't have (Pultec and Fairchild come to mind if I got the Quad DSP card) and so those alone make it attractive as the cost of those plugins without a sale would be as much as the price I have the Apollo Twin purchased at.

Any thoughts? When the Apollo Twin arrives and if I added a Quad, to me that should be a decent amount of DSP power? I have looked at their utilization charts and it would seem at 6 dsp chips I should be good without freezing tracks and I would still have my large set of native plugins to use also.

Thanks for any input
Patrick
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdx42 View Post
Hi all,
so I have an Apollo Twin USB on back order from before Christmas, it is now showing it may be shipping around mid February. In the meantime I bought a Babyface Pro which I really like, plus I added a Rode NT2a mic.
I have a lot of Waves plugin, I subscribe to the Slate plugins and have several other native plugins also.
So my question, from what I have been reading, an Apollo Twin will run out of DSP very fast, in my case I use VSTs for music and apply the most plugins to the vocals and mixbus. The only live tracking I do it the vocal and guitars.
My PC has 32 gigs of memory and an i7-4790 processor.

With an Apollo Twin I would like it for the vocal recording and the extra utility it provides with recording in realtime with compressors etc and the pre modelling.

The Apollo Twin on backorder was on sale for $699 and so I could add in another Duo pcie card or even add in a quad (which it seems the plugin package for the Quad makes it a free double on processing if you take into account the price of the extra plugins bundled vs a Duo)

I suppose a question here would be, will I be that blown away for the UAD plugins vs the native ones I have? There are a couple of the plugins in the bundles which i don't have (Pultec and Fairchild come to mind if I got the Quad DSP card) and so those alone make it attractive as the cost of those plugins without a sale would be as much as the price I have the Apollo Twin purchased at.

Any thoughts? When the Apollo Twin arrives and if I added a Quad, to me that should be a decent amount of DSP power? I have looked at their utilization charts and it would seem at 6 dsp chips I should be good without freezing tracks and I would still have my large set of native plugins to use also.

Thanks for any input
Patrick
6 SHARC chips will be a good amount, especially if you're at 44.1 or 48. I think in general the UAD stuff is a noticeable notch above the Waves stuff but I think Slate and UAD are peers, quality wise. I wouldn't be in a hurry to drop a lot of money replacing your plugs with UAD versions. I'd get the ones that will help your workflow most. For example, I love monitoring the 1176 Rev A or Fatso when tracking vocals. Or the LA2 collection. The Unison stuff is very good too.

Given your description, I'd recommend getting stuff you want for tracking. It really is awesome using Console with near zero latency and UAD processing. Feels like analog or a TDM rig. I now can't stand DAW monitoring, even at low buffers.
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

Why don't you just buy a uad card and still keep your babyface.i too had an Apollo USB on order for months but because no set date was announced I bought a uad 2 solo and a zoom uac-2.
I've only had them a few days but I'm really happy
The uad cards will offer you more plugin instances than you think if you go on the uad website theres a comparison page that shows you how many instances you can run of each plugin.
Old 25th January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
Why don't you just buy a uad card and still keep your babyface.i too had an Apollo USB on order for months but because no set date was announced I bought a uad 2 solo and a zoom uac-2.
I've only had them a few days but I'm really happy
The uad cards will offer you more plugin instances than you think if you go on the uad website theres a comparison page that shows you how many instances you can run of each plugin.
I have considered cancelling the Apollo Twin USB, but I keep thinking it is such a great deal at $699.
As for the plugin instances, how many do you get with the solo, I have read that it would be really limited in the amount of the newer plugins it can run?
It seems the more DSP chips on the card the cheaper it gets and the Quad and Octo variants seem like the better deals when plugin bundles are taken into account.
Old 25th January 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
I have considered cancelling the Apollo Twin USB, but I keep thinking it is such a great deal at $699.
That's a pretty common price for a Solo. Some dealers have them in stock. Might be worth a few phone calls to see if you can get one in your hands quicker.
Old 25th January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
That's a pretty common price for a Solo. Some dealers have them in stock. Might be worth a few phone calls to see if you can get one in your hands quicker.
It is an Apollo Twin USB, I am on a PC, so it is the only external option.
Old 25th January 2016
Gear Nut

Well as an update, I just ordered a Universal Audio UAD-2 QUAD Core. I reckon I can check it out and see how far the DSPs will take me. Worst case scenario I can return the unit as long as I don't register any plugins (I got it at Sweetwater.com)
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

heres an idea of how many instances you can get..
UAD Instance Chart
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

I don't think you can return it once you've taken it out of the packaging and installed it..you can only install the software when you register it the card comes with no software except a piece of paper with a link to were to get it.

once you register it youll get the bundled they mention on the box plus another freebie(I got helios eq) to say thanks plus if your quick open an account now and type in the code jan50 that gives you an extra $50 to spend.
if you've orderd a quad card you wont need the appollo because you've got more power in the quad card than the Apollo to start with and the babyface is awesome to start with.
Old 25th January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
I don't think you can return it once you've taken it out of the packaging and installed it..you can only install the software when you register it the card comes with no software except a piece of paper with a link to were to get it.

once you register it youll get the bundled they mention on the box plus another freebie(I got helios eq) to say thanks plus if your quick open an account now and type in the code jan50 that gives you an extra $50 to spend.
if you've orderd a quad card you wont need the appollo because you've got more power in the quad card than the Apollo to start with and the babyface is awesome to start with.
Well Sweetwater called me to confirm my order and I did speak with them about returns and they did agree that a return can be done BUT there could be restock fees and it is not too easy to do due to the software registration.

I think I should be happy with the card and most likely depending on DSP usage, I will cancel the Apollo Twin and stick with the PCIe Quad. I think the only piece I lose is the live tracking with plugins.
Old 26th January 2016
Gear Nut

One last question, if I keep the Apollo Twin order, it comes with pretty much the same plugins as the Quad. How will that work? Do I simply lose out on the plugins I would have gotten with the Twin which I will already have with the Quad? Also from what I heard, there was also a UAD offer in December which the Apollo Twin is also supposed to qualify for due to it being purchased in December?
Old 26th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
One last question, if I keep the Apollo Twin order, it comes with pretty much the same plugins as the Quad. How will that work? Do I simply lose out on the plugins I would have gotten with the Twin which I will already have with the Quad? Also from what I heard, there was also a UAD offer in December which the Apollo Twin is also supposed to qualify for due to it being purchased in December?
I think you'll have to ask UA support about this. It would only seem fair to me that you should get some additional incentive if you're buying two devices (ie not getting the same bundle twice) but then I'm not UAD. I'd email 'em.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search