The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Please give a step by step for MIDI!!!
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Head

Please give a step by step for MIDI!!!

Hello, I've been getting pretty frustrated trying to do something that seems so simple. The pro-tools manual is just getting me more confused because its telling me everything except how to accomplish the goals. I have been inputing my controller into MIDI in and audio in and I can hear the Midi when recorded and see the Midi notes on the track but can not hear it when played back. I tried routing Bus 1 to Bus 1 but nothing. Here is my question:

"How am I able to hear a Midi performance from my Juno G and how do I get it to play back so I can hear it on PTLE 7.0."

Thanks!
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

what is the output of the midi track set to? you need to have an aux track set up with the midi software you want to use as a plug in and route the midi track output to this plug in. Maybe you already know this, I couldn't tell from your post.

What software (virtual instrument) are you trying to use?
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Head

Hey,

I am using a harware device, (Juno G). I have the Juno plugged in via MIDI and 1/4 inch cable.

I can get a level through the midi cable but I can't hear anything so thats why I plug in the audio cable.

Upon playback I have Midi going to Bus 1 and an Aux track input Bus 1-2 and the Aux track output as Analog 1-2.

Do you see anything that I'm missing in this setup?

thanks
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

I think you might be a little confused about midi. Midi data contains no sound information, just the info about which notes you are hitting, the velocity of each note, etc. In order to hear midi data, it has to be triggering something, (software, another keyboard, etc.)

If you only want to record the sounds of your keyboard, you have 2 options:

1. Just record through the audio outputs and forget midi
2. Record the midi data into Pro Tools, then send it out of Pro Tools, into the midi in of your keyboard, and record the output of your keyboard onto an audio track. This would allow you to manipulate the midi data in Pro Tools before commiting the sounds to an audio file.

If you are trying to use your keyboard as a midi controller to control software, (reason, BFD, any kind of virtual instrument), you need to have an Aux input setup with this software as a plug in, then route the midi data output to this plug in.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search