The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Samsung EVO 2TB in 2010 Mac Pro Bay? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 25th January 2016
Here for the gear

Samsung EVO 2TB in 2010 Mac Pro Bay?

Will a Samsung 850 Evo 2TB SSD be recognized in a 8-Core Mid-2010 Mac Pro DRIVE BAY, and boot Yosemite?

I plan on having one Samsung 850 Evo 2TB SSD in the drive bay (even though it would only be running at SATA II speed), and two Samsung 850 Evo 2TB SSDs going 6G eSATA via the FASTA-6GU3 Plus PCIe card (when it comes out next month).

The two external drives would be for samples and media/projects. The one in the bay would be for OS X, apps (like Logic X and Pro Tools), some additional backup data, and other general files.

One of the remaining USB 3.1 ports on the card would be for a Time Machine Drive, the other for a USB 3.1 hub. I believe they both will be running at USB 3.0 speeds until apple updates OS X...

I have 2 ATI Radeon HD 5770's that I'm using so, after the FASTA-6GU3 Plus is installed, my slots will be filled. I may scale down to one graphics card at some point, so I have room for another PCIe/SSD combo, but that would be later on down the line - in which case I can take the SSD from the bay if I so desire. I'm also more comfortable having OS X on an internal drive. If I had room for one of the Accelsior cards, I'd consider doing that, but again there's no room.

I saw a similar issue was brought up by another person in October, but it wasn't ever answered. Their 2TB card did NOT work in their drive bay, but it was unclear if it was a firmware issue or TRIM or whatever.

Also, I'm only really concerned with the 850 2TB model (and I guess the 1TB for good measure), so no need to let me know that your 840/850 Evo 500GB-or-less works in the drive bay :-p

Actually, if people have a different Evo model that DOESN'T work in their drive bay, that could potentially be handy info...

That about wraps it up... Just looking for confirmation that it can work in there. Even though it's not the best route, I think it would be handy info to know in a pinch anyway. Even if someone has one that can do a quick test and report back, I will shower you with thanks! Please keep in mind that knowing that I can put the OS on it and BOOT from the drive is CRUCIAL!

And does anyone know if the 850 EVO's (in general) will out perform the best OWC stuff in the drive bays?
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search