The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lynx Hilo -> Motu worth it for summing? Audio Interfaces
Old 24th January 2016
Here for the gear

Lynx Hilo -> Motu worth it for summing?

Hey,

I've been mixing ITB for a while now, and want to get into analog summing. My main reasons for doing this are:
1) Headroom
2) Tone
3) More external hardware routing options.

I have a chance to purchase a Motu 828mkii for next to nothing, and plan on picking up a Dangerous 2bus. Before anyone freaks out on the concept of Lynx-> Motu ...Please look at the shootout of Hilo vs Orpheus vs 828Mkii. I plan to use the Motu as standalone converters via adat clocked from the Hilo. I do notice a little loss in clarity with the Motu in the example files, but ultra high fidelity is not my main concern(Within reason). What I want to know before pulling the trigger is, is it worth it or should I spend my cash elsewhere? Should I avoid the patch bay headaches? I'd love to hear from analog summing guys on this topic.
The current hardware setup is:

Lynx Hilo
Drawmer 1969ME
Orban Dual Mono Eq
Distressor
Neve 1073 clone
Urei Dual mono Eq

Thanks!
Old 24th January 2016
Lives for gear

I definitely don't think, it is bad idea.. especially if you've said, 828 is for a good price.
Practical outcome is always subjective thing, and you could test, what such summing setup is doing for your projects. Plus you can always sell 828 and swap it for something better. Personally I'm not so strict with outboard analog gear and its mandatory usage only with top end converters (eg. you have to get converters at least worth of 8k or something to get proper analog nirvana or such kind of advices). Of course, better converter can lead to improvement, but for example I also used analog outboard with digital consoles via their built-in converters (which were arguably worse than what we have today) and if it positively contributed to my sound goal, I didn't hesitate to use it (of course after some evaluation, proper gainstaging procedure, bypass tests etc.).

Anyway, I have one remark to your reasoning for analog summing.. you maybe want it for various workflow (additional analog outboard insert) or aesthetic reasons (glue, depth, sound like record.. etc.), nothing against that.. If it sounds good, it's good. But definitely not because of headroom or some other objective measure, where any common summing algorithm in digital domain trump analog way of doing that. People are sometimes confused by marketing mumbo jumbo, but floating point summing (basically summing of floating number values from incoming channels), used in majority of DAW or digital mixing consoles today, definitely doesn't have any practical problems with headroom, actually it is perfect to extent, which is outside any real world audio application. It is just pure mathematical calculation within the given numeric precision, nothing more.. no added noise or distortion.
Maybe it can sound boring in particular context or it isn't flattering material a nice way, whatever such adjective.. but technically it isn't lacking anything.

Michal
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search