The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best audio interface for bypassing preamp Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd January 2016
Here for the gear

Best audio interface for bypassing preamp

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting but I have been lurking on here for awhile as I have been putting together my home studio.

I am using a royer r-101 with a Universal Audio preamp (710 twin finity) and I am wondering what is the smartest (with some regards to cost) way to connect this to my DAW. I also have a relatively cheap Yamah MG10XU mixer that I was planning to run this through (it is usb) but it occurred to me that running a top of the line mic and preamp through this cheap mixer would diminish the sound quality.

The best advice I received calling various stores was through sweetwater where the salesmen recommended the babyface pro as he said I could go into the line in to bypass the pre but still benefit from the quality of the digital to audio converters built into the unit.

I am a bit reluctant to spend 750$ on an audio interface that touts great onboard preamps and tons of effects I don't need when I already have a single channel preamp that is higher quality and better editing software--and I am wondering if it is possible to find a cheaper unit that will allow me to bypass the onboard preamp/effects/eq circitry while still providing a high quality analogue to digital converter?

Thanks for everyone's help, I wanted to check here before going ahead with this final piece of kit!

Saxplayer
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear

By all accounts (except for maybe RME) the preamps are decent but not great. The value of the interface is not in the mic preamps. The Sweetwater guy was right, that interface sounds just what you're looking for.

Last edited by Me_Likey; 23rd January 2016 at 09:26 PM..
Old 24th January 2016
Audient id22
Old 24th January 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by monitorlove View Post
Audient id22
Or the id14?
Old 24th January 2016
The Audient ID22 allows this. Each of the 2 channels has a send and a return. Say you have an external mic pre, simply plug the mic pre into one of the returns, and you've bypassed the Audients pre.
Old 24th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Or the id14?
No, the ID14 has a different AD/DA chipset and if my memory serves me well, doesn't have send/return capabilities...or one less than the ID22's two. Any rate, the ID22 is the model to shoot for hands down.
Old 24th January 2016
Lives for gear
Didn't know it had different DA/AD.
Old 24th January 2016
Lives for gear

I can confirm that iD14 does not have the ability to bypass the preamps, one of the reasons why it is smaller and cheaper than iD22, on which you can indeed bypass both preamps by plugging your external preamp into the return jacks.

Feel free to ask any questions about either product on here or give us an email at [email protected].

Thanks,
Harry @ Audient
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxplayer2565 View Post
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting but I have been lurking on here for awhile as I have been putting together my home studio.

I am using a royer r-101 with a Universal Audio preamp (710 twin finity) and I am wondering what is the smartest (with some regards to cost) way to connect this to my DAW. I also have a relatively cheap Yamah MG10XU mixer that I was planning to run this through (it is usb) but it occurred to me that running a top of the line mic and preamp through this cheap mixer would diminish the sound quality.

The best advice I received calling various stores was through sweetwater where the salesmen recommended the babyface pro as he said I could go into the line in to bypass the pre but still benefit from the quality of the digital to audio converters built into the unit.

I am a bit reluctant to spend 750$ on an audio interface that touts great onboard preamps and tons of effects I don't need when I already have a single channel preamp that is higher quality and better editing software--and I am wondering if it is possible to find a cheaper unit that will allow me to bypass the onboard preamp/effects/eq circitry while still providing a high quality analogue to digital converter?

Thanks for everyone's help, I wanted to check here before going ahead with this final piece of kit!

Saxplayer
Another thing to consider is support, especially longterm support. Take a look at some of the manufacturers who have reps in GS offering unofficial support and can act as a liaison when you may not be getting the results you expect from the official channels. Personally, I would add a few extra points in your comparison list for those manufacturers who offer top quality support, either here in GS, via a good forum or both.
Old 25th January 2016
Here for the gear

Thanks guys!

In regards to the Babyface Pro, if I come out of my preamp with XLR female to TRS male balanced into the unbalanced line in of the Babyface will that mess with the signal? Would it be better to come in XLR and turn the gain to zero?

I will also check out the audient iD222 also!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search