The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mac Early 2008 Slow with Logic Pro X Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 23rd January 2016
Here for the gear
Mac Early 2008 Slow with Logic Pro X

I am running Logic Pro X on a Mac pro 2008 8 core 2.8 GHZ using Yosemite 10.10.4 with 16GB of ram and using an OWC Firewire 800 external drive for audio.

At the moment I am using The mac's internal sound-card but I also have an avid Mbox pro 3 which I am not currently using as it has had some compatibility issues with Yosemite. I have problems using both.

I use NI Komplete 9 SSD4 Mach 5 and Soundtoys and Real Guitars. Now, I know these are fairly CPU intensive plug ins, but my problem is that even when I bounce to audio and freeze plug ins and VIs, my CPU is always running at close to max on a 25 track 48Khz session and my HD is close to maxing out. I get drag on logic graphics in the bar counter and the meters and everything just runs very slowly making work impossible.

My Geekbench Score is 11694. Would fitting internal drives to this machine be worthwhile? Should I be getting better performance anyway? I have I/O buffer set to 512 Processing Threads set to Automatic and Processing Buffer Range set to small.

I use all the CPU saving tricks like selecting an audio track on playback. Is there any mileage in upgrading my HD drives? would running 32 Gig of Ram help?
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear

SSDs will speed up your files system, programs will open faster.

It may be possible to upgrade your CPU.

A clean install might be fix your issues.

Or you could try Updating a backup of your current system.

Old 23rd January 2016
Here for the gear
Thanks gdoubleyou. I can do a CPU upgrade to xeon x5365 I am not sure whether that will help. I am trying to find someone who has done it and got a geekbench score. When you say reinstall, do you mean just the Logic program or everything I use?

I don't see the point of installing an SSD system drive as waiting for progs to open isn't the issue. My audio and samples are all coming down the FW800 bus though so I guess if I run an e-sata card to my OWC drive it might help instead of FW800 .

I was thinking using an internal drive for my audio and samples might help as well. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old 24th January 2016
Gear Maniac

What hard drive speed are you running? 5400s are garbage for anything media heavy. I would upgrade your system drive to an SSD and do a clean install. That worked wonders on my backup machine( '11 Mac mini). I would install a second internal drive for samples. SSD if you can swing it, but anything 7200 should be fine.
Old 24th January 2016
Here for the gear
Thanks Greenfendr. My System drive is 7200rpm so I'm not convinced that upgrading system drive to SSD is worthwhile. I have my samples and my audio on seperate drives but they are in the same enclosure which is accessed by FW800. I will get a SATA card for these and see if this improves things at all.
Old 24th January 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENFENDR View Post
What hard drive speed are you running? 5400s are garbage for anything media heavy. I would upgrade your system drive to an SSD and do a clean install. That worked wonders on my backup machine( '11 Mac mini). I would install a second internal drive for samples. SSD if you can swing it, but anything 7200 should be fine.
I'm pretty sure they never put 5400 rpm drives in a Mac Pro.Are you thinking of a MacBook pro?
Old 24th January 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusco gigo View Post
Thanks Greenfendr. My System drive is 7200rpm so I'm not convinced that upgrading system drive to SSD is worthwhile. I have my samples and my audio on seperate drives but they are in the same enclosure which is accessed by FW800. I will get a SATA card for these and see if this improves things at all.
I've owned a 2008 cMP with same CPU's you have & I can assure you that using a SSD is a serious upgrade over a 7200 HDD.
Old 24th January 2016
Here for the gear
Thanks serstickman. Are you talking about using SSD for a system drive? In what way was is it an improvement?
Old 24th January 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusco gigo View Post
Thanks serstickman. Are you talking about using SSD for a system drive? In what way was is it an improvement?
Everything loads SO much faster. Projects in your DAW load up much faster. If you do like I do & mix in one DAW & master in another it saves a lot of time switching back & forth.

I also use a SSD drive for my sample libraries. Because of the very fast read speeds the VI's get loaded into RAM much faster as well. In my experience there is no downside to have a SSD for a system drive & one for your Vi libraries.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do
Old 24th January 2016
Here for the gear
Thanks, I'll definitely consider it.
Old 24th January 2016
Lives for gear

I don't even buy regular drives anymore. Either hybrid or ssd!!!! Definitely a significant upgrade for your computer
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search