The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AES EBU (1 in / 1 out) interface for PC, < $900? Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear

AES EBU (1 in / 1 out) interface for PC, < $900?

I'm looking for a way to add AES EBU (1 in / 1 out) to my PC, for less than $900?

RME HDSPe AIO would do it for $900 (RME: HDSPe AIO), but that seems like a lot of money.
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear

How about Lynx AEX16? or maybe Tascam UH-7000?
I'm not sure what feature you need, but check it out.
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuasalogam View Post
How about Lynx AEX16? or maybe Tascam UH-7000?
I'm not sure what feature you need, but check it out.
Thanks for the tips, I'll check them out.

All I need is 1 in / 1 out AES EBU, connected to my PC via USB or PCI Express.

The long of it is, in total I need:

(a) 1 in / 1 out AES EBU
(b) stereo DAC out to balanced XLR
(c) stereo DAC out to TRS (headphones)
(d) 1 in / 1 out MIDI

I already have (b), (c), and (d) covered with my PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL. The RME can do (a)-(d), so I could sell the PreSonus if I got the RME.

Considering all I need is a little digital in / out, I was not expecting this to be so costly, but of course with the RME I'd be paying for more than the AES EBU.
Old 23rd January 2016
You could buy cheaper interface, say around $500, with SPDIF in/out. Then use SPDIF/AES converter. I know HOSA makes it. That's another option. M-Audio used to make CO3, which I have and love it, but they don't make it anymore. You may find it on ebay cheap.
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuasalogam View Post
... Tascam UH-7000?...
Looking good at $400:

Product: UH-7000 | TASCAM
Amazon.com: TASCAM UH-7000 High Resolution USB Interface and Stand Alone Microphone Preamp: Musical Instruments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki View Post
You could buy cheaper interface, say around $500, with SPDIF in/out. Then use SPDIF/AES converter. I know HOSA makes it. That's another option. M-Audio used to make CO3, which I have and love it, but they don't make it anymore. You may find it on ebay cheap.
I'll look at this too. Thanks.
Old 23rd January 2016
Motu also offers a lot of different kinds of I/O connectivity options in their products as does RME. Many of them have stand-alone functionality (can be used without a computer). One such function is using it as a stand-alone converter, which would allow you to keep using your current interface, and use the different types of I/O connectivity that you need from the additional interface, running/piggybacking an output from that into your current interface, via say a digital connection. This could be a very good & cost effective solution.

You probably already know that you can have different manufactured interfaces connected to a single computer, via whatever (PCI, PCIe, Firewire, USB etc) but if using a PC, you'll only be able to actually use one interface/driver at a time. I use interfaces by the same manufacturer (various old Aardvarks) which allows me to use up to 4 in a single running under their one driver.

You can even shop slightly older, 2nd hand (I do with most things) and save hundreds of dollars. You may even be able to find a solution you need from $100-$300 used.
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fogal View Post
You probably already know that you can have different manufactured interfaces connected to a single computer, via whatever (PCI, PCIe, Firewire, USB etc) but if using a PC, you'll only be able to actually use one interface/driver at a time. I use interfaces by the same manufacturer (various old Aardvarks) which allows me to use up to 4 in a single running under their one driver.
I had not known that. Not happy to learn that, but thank you.
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear

Took a while to find, ( I don't do Ebay) but recently picked up a MOTU HD-192 for $300. Fan was noisy, replacement from Newegg was $7.

I already have several PCIe-424 cards, but if you don't they go for about $50.

10 line I/O plus AES
, at 24/192, $357. You can hang up to four interfaces from one 424 card, that rig here also has 3 2408s, so a total of around 170 I/O.
Old 23rd January 2016
Buying something like a suitable used Motu interface with a range of I/O connectivity types, plus with their ability to connect different models to their PCI/PCIe/PCIx cards would make an existing interface unnecessary. I myself am currently looking at a Motu to expand my digital audio multi-channel capabilities.
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear

MUTEC - Professional A/V and High-End Equipment - MC-1.2

Around 340 euro ex vat.
Old 24th January 2016
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Available in the U.S. from: Sonic Distribution - USA
Old 24th January 2016
Gear Maniac

Any interface with SPDIF (had for cheap used on ebay) can connect to AES using monoprice XLR to RCA cables. That's what I use my original ultralite for now. nanoDIGI from miniDSP could work...

Last edited by jdizzy; 24th January 2016 at 11:07 PM..
Old 24th January 2016
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'm researching everything that's been recommended.
Old 25th January 2016
Gear Maniac

nanodigi was a bad suggestion because it only processes incoming audio for use in hifi systems to tune your speakers. so no audio over usb. You did say pci express but if you happen to have PCI as most motherboards do, m-audio audiophile 2496 has spdif in/out and is cheap on ebay, with the xlr to rca cables you would be all set (though one connection might need an extra XLRF-XLRF adapter cable) I just checked and they have drivers for it all the way up to osx 10.11 and win10
Old 25th January 2016
Motown legend

M-Audio's new owner orphaned Delta PCI drivers at Windows 7sp1.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search