The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
KVM Switch or two screens, two mouses and two keyboards Desktop Synthesizers
Old 22nd January 2016
Gear Maniac

KVM Switch or two screens, two mouses and two keyboards

I'm planning to add ad second computer to my current computer to work together and have more cpu power and memory.

I could use a Kvm switch and work with one screen, mouse and keyboard or
I could use two screens two mouses and two keyboards.

Who has experiences? What do you prefer and why?

extra info: i used to work years with two screens, now since one year i just use one screen (mainly because of acoustic reasons); second screen would be handy, but not necessary;

in situation of two computers one computer would be daw and mixing, other computer would be vsts
Old 22nd January 2016
Gear Maniac

I have not used this.. But a guy I work with uses it..
maybe try the eval?

Software KVM Switch | EdgeRunner Multiplicity
Old 22nd January 2016
Gear Maniac

looks cool.
anyone experience?
i've look and read their site, but i don"t understand how it works. is it with wifi? or a cable or both...
Old 23rd January 2016
Gear Maniac

multiplicity seems nice.. drag and drop between multiple computers is a nice bonus

anyone used it in a real musical situation? is it stable?
Old 23rd January 2016
I've been using a KVM switch between multiple DAW PC's for quite a while. But I also have multiple video monitors. The way I've had it is, one main DAW has been using two 24" LCD's, and two other DAW's (VSTi machine & guitar machine) have been sharing the 3rd 24" LCD.

Whenther you use two monitors, or one monitor with a KVM switch (and/or even an app that lets you share a keyboard & mouse between computers) really depends on preferences and how you want to view things & when. I like the ability to do whatever I want, whenever I want as my needs change. I personally would never use just one video monitor, as I've always used 2 minimum from my beginnings of using a DAW.

I'm revamping my home studio set up currently, and will be using four DAW PC's & four 24" LCD video monitors (two setting above the lower two). I now have an 8X8 VGA matrix switcher, which I'll be able to have any DAW's send video signals to any 24" LCD monitors, at any time. I can still use my KVM switch to switch my keyboard/mouse. or use it in conjunction with my video matrix switch. Or, I may go back to using the software app 'Synergy' that allows me to move my mouse between LCD monitors/computers.
Old 23rd January 2016
Gear Maniac

hi Steve,
but don't you have acoustical problems with your monitors?
Old 23rd January 2016
Gear Head

I use a program called Synergy, which lets me use one mouse over two computers seamlessly (jaw drops). My screen on the left is a Mac and the screen on the right is a PC, even (jaw double-drops). There's a bunch of programs in this vein.

Synergy - Mouse and keyboard sharing software
Old 23rd January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post
hi Steve,
but don't you have acoustical problems with your monitors?
I'm sure having 24" LCD video monitors adds to the reflective surfaces of my room, which is an untreated spare room in my house currently. I mostly use headphones in my environment, but also have small powered near-field speaker monitors, which sound fine in my room at close proximity just beyond arms reach. I don't overly concern myself with reflective surfaces. I do intend to build bass traps, and sound panels at some point though.

I can't say that I can hear any difference between what I had set up a few years ago, which was two/three older 17" CRT monitors, compared to what I've been using since, which is three 24" wide screen LCD's, spread Left/Center/Right, with the L/R being angled inward.
I'm just now adding that fourth 24" LCD, configuring as two below, and two above, all four as one large square. Each upper & lower pair angled slightly inward, with the upper two also being slightly angle downward, this is for better viewing as I'll be having to look slightly upward toward the upper two. But with adding that 8X8 video matrix switcher, I'll be able to switch to the lower two screens if I need to work with any one/two of my four PC's for longer periods of time. But mostly, the added PC's take a supportive roll.

As mentioned, the app mentioned...Synergy is very good and allows moving your mouse (and keyboard) among a number of computers, although you generally use multiple video screens with it. I don't know if say, you have two computers with only one video monitor, if Synergy will work with that, by taking the video signal from whichever computer as you move to the edge of view. I don't know if it works that way, I don't think so. If you decide on Synergy (or similar Ethernet enabled app) you may have to go with two screens after all. Someone else can confirm/deny this.

With a standard KVM switch, you will be using more hardware, but have the ability to use just one monitor, or up to however many video outputs the KVM has. Mine is a 4 port KVM, and audio I/O (which I don't use) and it also has a USB HUB for peripherals (in addition to it's mouse/keyboard USB ports).
For my set up I have all Ethernet capabilities disabled in my machines, why I stopped using Synergy (which works great too). Although the Ethernet connectivity was handy, to have network functions, especially to share files among systems, my KVM switch's built in USB HUB (with using an attached USB drive) now takes the place of Ethernet quickly & easily for sharing files among systems.
Old 9th February 2016
Gear Maniac

I'm not gonna buy edgerunner (mails to support unanswered, no authorization possible on non-internet computer...)

any other ideas?

pros and contras kvm switch (hard- or software) vs 2 screens, 2 mouses and 2 keyboards?
Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

In Tracking (live room 1), an i7 and Core Duo share 1 mouse, 1 keyboard, and 4x24" screens,with keyboard and mouse switched by a KVM.

Whichever computer you wish you were controlling at any given time, the KVM is set to the other one.

In the Control Room, an audio i7 and a video i7 each drive their own pair of 15" screens, and share a 40" central screen. Each has its own mouse and keyboard. Whichever mouse or keyboard you have ahold of at any given time, controls the computer you aren't working on.

Further, whichever PC is feeding the bigscreen, the other one is the one you need to see.
Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prockamaniac View Post
I use a program called Synergy, which lets me use one mouse over two computers seamlessly (jaw drops). My screen on the left is a Mac and the screen on the right is a PC, even (jaw double-drops). There's a bunch of programs in this vein.

Synergy - Mouse and keyboard sharing software
I've seen this in action and it's superb.
Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

You could get a LG ultra wide monitor that's what I've done it has two hdmi sockets and the screen can be split down the middle so you can use both computers at the same time.
Or can be switched with button on front .
I've just bought one and its brilliant i have one PC hooked up just for browsing the net and downloading/emailing and my main music PC hooked up to.i have 2 Bluetooth adaptors 2 mice 2 small keyboards so i can use them quickly.
Check them out there brilliant i had a kvm switch but i found the picture wasn't clear and not very long so both computers had to be next too each other.using hdmi is much better i can put my computers anywhere and using Bluetooth means no wires dragging along the desk.
Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
You could get a LG ultra wide monitor that's what I've done it has two hdmi sockets and the screen can be split down the middle so you can use both computers at the same time.
Or can be switched with button on front .
I've just bought one and its brilliant i have one PC hooked up just for browsing the net and downloading/emailing and my main music PC hooked up to.i have 2 Bluetooth adaptors 2 mice 2 small keyboards so i can use them quickly.
This

djwaxxy, do you know any way to do PIP on these?
Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

It comes with software that allows you to split the screen up to 4 times but I usually either just switch from one computer to another or if I'm using just my music computer and using cubase with reason rewired or machine then ill split it so I can see both programs and work on two programs at the same time.

Its really handy for rewired reason because I don't have too minimize cubase too work with Thor I can just see what I want and move too it seamlessly.

Its also handy for vsts I can use cubase as normal on one half of the screen and on the other half I can have plugins visable so there not cluttering up cubase arranger page or you can use one half for cubase mixer the options are limitless
Old 10th February 2016
I missed why you'd want to use 'two' keyboards when you intend to use a KVM switch or a software equivalent, but that should be a problem if you have that need. I've been using a 2nd mouse (mini mouse) even though I use a hardware KVM switch. I keep the 2nd mouse on my desk, connected directly to my main PC for when I just need do something super quick...otherwise I'll KVM switch it.

You still should be able to use something like Synergy software, along with a hardware KVM switch. Things don't always have to be one thing or another. I'm currently reconfiguring my entire set up, putting in an 8X8 VGA video matrix switching system. This video matrix will only serve to switch my video signals (no keyboard & mouse switching with it) between my 4 PC's & my 4 24" LCD screens for literally any configuration. And being my PC's have dual video cards, I'll be able to send dual video signals from any PC, to any two screens (of four) that I wish at any time( if I wish). Having my 4 LCD screens in a quad or square configuration (two on top, two on bottom), I may for example find myself wanting to have my VSTi machine using the two bottom screens when only working on that PC for fine editing, instead of the top two, or I may want all 4 PC's to use just one screen each. I can send video from any PC to any monitor as I wish.

As for my keyboard & mouse, I will now have to switch them 'separately' from my video matrix system. I can either use Synergy software for this, or use my new dedicated USB switcher/sharing device, or use my existing KVM switch just for the keyboard & mouse only. Although the USB sharing device is basically the same thing as my KVM, it just doesn't have video capability. Or, I can use a combination of all the above.

I'd say think hard on what exactly you want to do, and then think how exactly how you can make that work...and with one or more different methods combined if need be.
Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

I was a long term Synergy user, can't knock it, did the job.

I just use the freebie MS version now however.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down....aspx?id=35460

Never had any problems with any of them affecting audio software.
Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

You can use one KVM with two monitors, one mouse, one keyboard. You just set it up where you use the manual display switching mode on the monitors. I have it setup this way, works great.
Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

Split screen is OK, but a resizable draggable PIP window is what I really want. Maybe some 3rd party software will allow this.

Quote:
It comes with software that allows you to split the screen up to 4 times but I usually either just switch from one computer to another or if I'm using just my music computer and using cubase with reason rewired or machine then ill split it so I can see both programs and work on two programs at the same time.

Its really handy for rewired reason because I don't have too minimize cubase too work with Thor I can just see what I want and move too it seamlessly.

Its also handy for vsts I can use cubase as normal on one half of the screen and on the other half I can have plugins visable so there not cluttering up cubase arranger page or you can use one half for cubase mixer the options are limitless
Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

you can resize it you can split the screen however you want you can have it split horizintal/vertical/4 screens 1 big 2 small..it is brilliant.

Ultrawide Monitor | 21:9 Widescreen Computer Monitor | LG UK
Old 10th February 2016
Gear Maniac

The microsoft mouse without borders seems nice....
Old 11th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
you can resize it you can split the screen however you want you can have it split horizintal/vertical/4 screens 1 big 2 small..it is brilliant.

Ultrawide Monitor | 21:9 Widescreen Computer Monitor | LG UK
Yes I know, but how do you achieve this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvRpYIs7HeQ
Old 12th February 2016
Old 12th February 2016
Gear Maniac

does mouse without borders also work with 2pcs sharing one screen?
Old 12th February 2016
Lives for gear

yep
you move your mouse around as if its one screen
Old 13th February 2016
Gear Maniac

no thats not what i mean

i mean: is it possible to use only one PHYSICAL screen for both computers using mouse without borders? I thought somebody said it was possible, but i cannot seem to find it in the setup or options of mouse without borders
all help appreciated!
Old 13th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
no thats not what i mean

i mean: is it possible to use only one PHYSICAL screen for both computers using mouse without borders? I thought somebody said it was possible, but i cannot seem to find it in the setup or options of mouse without borders
all help appreciated!
Yes, with the right software it can be done.
Old 13th February 2016
Gear Maniac

yes offcourse it can be done, my question is: can it be done with mouse without borders?
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes offcourse it can be done, my question is: can it be done with mouse without borders?
Single screen, sorry, no, it can't be done in software as far as I've seen.

You need to be able to switch the screen, which is normally done via a hardware KVM. If you screen supports two inputs and allows you to switch it on the screen itself (i.e. by a physical button on your monitor), then that works along with MWB.
Old 15th February 2016
A hardware KVM easily allows you to use one screen with two computers, or more. My 4 port KVM switch is capable of switching 4 computers, using one keyboard, 1 video screen, 1 mouse.

But with a hardware KVM, you can still configure things for just about any combination desired, eg;, not all computers have to be routed through the KVM video portion, but just route the keyboard/mouse ...or use only the video of the KVM, and have a computer use it's own keyboard/mouse, etc, etc.

You can even copy/paste any files you wish between computers (like you can via Ethernet networking), using the KVM's built-in USB hub (with an attached USB thumb drive etc). I do this, and the things mentioned above, all while my Ethernet networking functions have been disabled on my music machines. Generally speaking, I practice not having to rely on my machines resources for anything that can be done with external solutions, never taxing or interrupting anything more than necessary.
Old 18th February 2016
Gear Maniac

hi steve,
which kvm switch do you use?
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search