The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reading Mac Sample Drive on PC - MacDrive/Paragon HFS Modular Synthesizers
Old 22nd January 2016
Reading Mac Sample Drive on PC - MacDrive/Paragon HFS

Hey guys,

I'm almost done with my transition to PC. Question about pre-existing sample drives. All my drives and Raids are, at this point, HFS+. I know that sw exists that can read those such as MacDrive and Paragon HFS. I just wanted to know if there'd be a huge performance hit. I will be using these drives ONLY to playback samples from.

Also, on the Mac I'm using the Raid in ESATA mode with a Sonnet Port Multiplier. I was planning to use it in the PC as USB 3. Would that be as fast or should I stick with ESATA?

thanks
F
Old 23rd January 2016
Gear Addict

I wouldn't recommend Paragon or MacDrive. I've relied on both, and they've both let me down. Many others have had similar experiences.

Paragon was better, but it started randomly completely crapping out or deleting a few folders at a time. Sometimes it'd come back. Eventually, after deleting and re-installing numerous times, I gave up.

The hard drive was fine once I re-purposed it without Paragon.
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear
My experience with Paragon products has been positive. In my Mac Pro I have both and NTFS for Mac, and HFS+ for Windows. I have not had any data integrity problems with either product.

When I did performance testing of my SSD hardware RAID-0 array, I used the BlackMagic tool in Yosemite for benchmarking. I formatted the array as HFS+ and as NTFS, and ran the benchmark. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the performance numbers were practically identical despite the change in format. This proved the performance quality of the NTFS for Mac product. I didn't bother to do comparative benchmarking for the array from the Win7 Bootcamp side.

My primary use of the HFS+ for Windows is a matter of convenience to ensure that I can get to stuff that I left hanging around on Yosemite-controlled drives, so I wouldn't characterize it as intensive usage.

My only experience with MacDrive was a trial period in which I was attempting to read/write a Yosemite Disk Utility software RAID-0 array from Windows. That function never worked correctly.

Regarding eSATA vs USB 3.0: The essential feature you'll need to ensure for your external boxes on USB 3.0 is UASP. This is enables NCQ on the USB 3.0 interface and will provide speed comparable to an eSATA connection. Both SSD and hybrid (SSHD) drives benefit from UASP.

HTH

Last edited by MediaGary; 23rd January 2016 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: added comment about UASP
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear

My experience with Paragon for NTFS has also been flawless. Share a VSTi drive and Audio drive between a mac and pc setup running Logic on the Mac and Cubase on PC. No issues whay so ever in running 3 years straight now (knock on wood).
Old 23rd January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Hawk View Post
My experience with Paragon for NTFS has also been flawless. Share a VSTi drive and Audio drive between a mac and pc setup running Logic on the Mac and Cubase on PC. No issues whay so ever in running 3 years straight now (knock on wood).
Do you think the corruption comes from 'renaming' the drive in Paragon? I know that when the WinOS first sees the HFS drive it has no name or letter (even if its named on the Mac). You assign it a drive letter. But do you rename the drive in windows as well?

Also I'll be using this with a 9tb hardware based raid. Do you think that complicates things?
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search