The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Please help, Why isn't my session playable on Logic/PTLE? Deadline is only a few hrs.
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Please help, Why isn't my session playable on Logic/PTLE? Deadline is only a few hrs.

Greetings...

Today I came across a strange problem which I need fixed asap in order to meet a deadline. I have 34 track session that was recorded in Logic Pro 7.1.1 and transfered to PTLE 7.3 for editing. Editing is now done and plays fine in PTLE... so I consolidate all the tracks to session start, reallocating them to a new folder, and import into Logic for mixing. I begin to play the session and as long as the song position line isn't on any audio it plays fine... but once it gets to the audio files it craps out, telling me "system overload, disc is too slow"? There are NO plugins on the session, it's only 34 tracks, and I've been using this process for years (as a matter of fact I did it a few hours prior)

I'm running it on a Dual 2.5ghz G5, 2.5gb of ram, OS 10.4.8... I've tried tranferring the session to a different harddrives; OWC w/ 300gb Seagate Barricuda w/ 2 partitions, Lacie 80gb, and the internal Maxtor 160gb HD that came with the machine...all running at 7200rpms.

I've been getting the same result with all three drives.... I even re-consolidated the files in PTLE... saved sessions as copies in both apps, created new sessions, and it still will not play in Logic.... why?

Like I said I've been doing this process for years, with sessions as large as 60 tracks with 3-4 plugins on each track. So I'm fully aware of what my machine is capable of....

Any and every help is wanted and appreciated... due to my deadline that needs to be met as of 7pm today (Sunday, Jan. 28th, 2007).

Thanx ahead for all your time...
Old 28th January 2007
Can't help you man but good luck ;-)
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

make sure your files and Logic are in same sample rate. double check to see if your files corresponds to tracks' mono/stereo. also make sure the files are being read from the proper drive (press "A" in the song in Logic, and it'll take you to Audio path).

here's a link that may help you:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304970

you can try repairing permisisons/disk, delete Logic preferences, delete cache, fsck -fy, Disk Warrior, Onyx, etc. you can also bring in individual audio tracks into Logic by drag & drop into a fresh new template.

do you also get the error message when you start playing the song from the middle (as opposed to starting from the beginning)?
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post
make sure your files and Logic are in same sample rate. double check to see if your files corresponds to tracks' mono/stereo. also make sure the files are being read from the proper drive (press "A" in the song in Logic, and it'll take you to Audio path).

here's a link that may help you:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304970

you can try repairing permisisons/disk, delete Logic preferences, delete cache, fsck -fy, Disk Warrior, Onyx, etc. you can also bring in individual audio tracks into Logic by drag & drop into a fresh new template.

do you also get the error message when you start playing the song from the middle (as opposed to starting from the beginning)?
First off thanx for taking the time to help...

Yes I do get the message from the middle, the end, and begining... and I did dragged all files on to a new template and still recieved the same result. The audio path is where it should be, and all the tracks are mono/stereo contingent...

I just read the link.... adjusted a few parameters... and it's playing!... I was under the impression that I had optimized my system, apparently not as well as I suspected. It playing is a good step in the right direction, but it's still spiking with disk errors over the smallest thing like saving. What do you suggest?
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Skeens View Post
Can't help you man but good luck ;-)
ha... thanx Skeens... lol.. hit me up when you get a chance on IM... peace.
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agno View Post
but it's still spiking with disk errors over the smallest thing like saving. What do you suggest?

are you saving while the song is playing? this could simply mean that you're pushing the Mac quite a bit.

remember to backup often, manually.
Old 28th January 2007
How about import one track at a time - checking each time..

It may be ONE file is messing up the WHOLE session..!

who needs bass ANYWAY?
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanx for all your replies.... I actually got through the whole mix. So I think the optimizations I made did it. I was thinking it could of been one file that was messing up the session, but if I don't think that's the case now being that the adjustments I made were in relation to the disk being too slow. Also, I imports all new consolildated files from PTLE... so it couldn't have been it. (Thanx Jules)

And to Theblotted, yes... I save during playback... I've been doing so for a while...ever since I was on a computer that could. So who knows why it was acting up now? I'll keep you posted if there's any more issues.

Thanx again....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search