The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
turning single core pc to dual or quad core
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

turning single core pc to dual or quad core

right now i have a p4 2.53 pc. id like to turn in into a dual or possible quad core. is this a hard thing to do? it wiill also have to meet the digi specks as i run pt on it.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

It isn't very hard. Computer assembly is pretty foolproof. And the parts can take some abuse before they brake. I've never broken anything and i've been pretty rough at times. But if you mess up you could have a 2000 $ paperweight.

So how hard is hard ?
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

im not sure, it took me a couple times to instyall a stick of ram if that helps..lol i might actually look to buy parts have someone who knows do it.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

What kind of processor you can install depends on what motherboard you have. List your motherboard model and we'll be able to help you pick out a processor. Installing it shouldn't be that difficult.. but you're not comfortable doing it and know someone that can help you its not a bad idea..
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Head

I've built maybe 50 systems for myself and friends over the year. Just this week I built an E6600 based dualcore DAW from parts ordered mainly from newegg.com. It took me about 12 hours including software installation time to be up and running again. It's not hard to do if you can follow instructions and have a good amount of patience. Anandtech.com has a good mid-range guide up now, I'd start looking there or over at the arstechnica.com system guide for parts. Then look over some FAQs online that cover building systems in great detail.

-JohnPaul
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

i guess in most cases you're going to have to change the processor, Motherboard, ram, and even video adapter to update your computer to a dual or quad core...
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

halfguard....
i dont know if this will run digi's PT..so check...with digi.
but i'm looking closely at an acer aspire E380 dual amd 64 right now for 600 buks cdn dollars.
or less.......i'm trying to get a deal.
and maybe i'll put a hi speed drive in it for recording to.

it even has the TI firewire chipset if i remember.
thus half guard its prolly not worth it upgradeing your current PC.
cos i'm sure there are gonna be more deals on dual cores coming as quads come out.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

thanx for the help

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search