The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
antelope orion studio vs Metric Halo LIO 8 Studio Monitors
Old 22nd January 2016
Gear Nut
antelope orion studio vs Metric Halo LIO 8

I have been using the LIO 8 for a couple years it sounds great. I have a second computer I have been using quite a bit for starting songs in my living room and was thinking of getting an interface with more than 2 inputs. I'm using a Grace 905 as my preamp/DAC for my hifi system in my living room. I can get 2 channels of input via AES from a Grace V3 mic pre AD converter and a NEVE RNDI for input from line instrument. It's a really good clean sound but only 2 channels.

I am wondering how the sound would compare to the Antelope unit? It's got a ton of features for the money. I'm wondering if I could replace the LIO 8 and bring that in my house system or would I be better to just get another LIO 8?
Old 22nd January 2016
Lives for gear

Not the same league for sure. The orion delivers great value for the money but when comparing to high end converters it loose. The LIO has quite good converters instead, but 'only' delivers 8ch.
Old 22nd January 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
Not the same league for sure. The orion delivers great value for the money but when comparing to high end converters it loose. The LIO has quite good converters instead, but 'only' delivers 8ch.
Thanks for your opinion. I was mainly interested in the brand since I know Antelope makes some DACs that are considered pretty good in hifi circles and I thought maybe this would spill over to their pro gear as well
Old 24th January 2016
Gear Addict

I was wondering if anyone else could chime in to provide their opinion of these two interfaces; as I too was looking into purchasing either one of these two interfaces.

As for myself, 8 ins and outs are more than sufficient for my needs (so the high channel count of the Orion Studio isn't a necessity). Furthermore, I'll likely be using outboard pre's (so the lack of pre's on the LIO 8 isn't a problem either).

Note: I will be using a Kemper and likely be purchasing some higher end headphones (maybe an LCD 3 - which I can get for a great deal secondhand), so SPDIF, sample-rate conversion and a high-end headphone out are important as well.

Thank you,
Nelson
Old 24th January 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsona View Post
I was wondering if anyone else could chime in to provide their opinion of these two interfaces; as I too was looking into purchasing either one of these two interfaces.

As for myself, 8 ins and outs are more than sufficient for my needs (so the high channel count of the Orion Studio isn't a necessity). Furthermore, I'll likely be using outboard pre's (so the lack of pre's on the LIO 8 isn't a problem either).

Note: I will be using a Kemper and likely be purchasing some higher end headphones (maybe an LCD 3 - which I can get for a great deal secondhand), so SPDIF, sample-rate conversion and a high-end headphone out are important as well.

Thank you,
Nelson
I can at least tell you the LIO 8 sounds great. I am a hifi nut and have my LIO 8 hooked up in a very nice system that includes Revel Salon 2 speakers and Krell Duo 300 amp. I don't hear much to complain about. I only really wondered about the Antelope since I know they are a respected brand in the hifi world. I also added to my LIO 8 a Audioquest Diamond Firewire cable which took it to an even higher level. I'm sure a cord like this would elevate any interface though.

You mentioned the LCD 3 phones. I just got some LCD XC phones for my system and they are nice. I can really hear things I don't hear on my living room system over the main speakers (Dynaudio C4) I can make some pretty rational decisions listening to these higher end headphones. I use mine with the Grace 905 which has a pretty good headphone amp.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search