The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Macbook Pro Core2 Duo and Logic Pro...WOW !!!
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Macbook Pro Core2 Duo and Logic Pro...WOW !!!

I'm sure there's been plenty of threads about this but I thought I would share anyway:

I just recently picked up a Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16 with 3GB of RAM

I hooked it up to a SATA ExpressCard (http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-2sm2-e/)
with a RAID 0 3G dual drive external enclosure http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-2en2/

Installed Logic Pro 7.2.1 and some other stuff and started running some comparison tests with my dual 2GHZ G5 with 4GB of RAM and a Lacie FW800 Raid 0 external drive.

First test I did was using the Logic demo song that came with Logic Pro software on the Content DVD. One of the folders on it is called "for G5 only" and it contains a full track demo song with a bunch of audio tracks a wide variety of plugins such as the Space Designer reverb and other "cpu intensive" plugins. I installed it on both the G5 and MBP.

Ran the song on the G5 at a 64 buffer setting. Using Menu Meters and the Apple Activity Monitor I watched how this session used up around 60-70% of each of the two processors on the G5. Tried to set the buffer to 32 and the G5 completely choked...had to put it back to 64.

Ran the same song on the Macbook Pro. Each processor now was being used at around 40-50% !!!!! and that's with the buffer set to 32!!!!! (which the dual G5 couldn't even handle).....wow...pretty cool!

This is the first of a few tests I'll be conducting to determine whether I can use this MBP in the same way I'm used to working on my G5 while on the road. So far it looks pretty good. Next test will be using the whole arsenal of software I usualy work with such as: Native Instruments Komplete (entire suite), Vienna Instruments, East West libraries in Kontakt2, Stylus RMX, BFD....etc....

I'm getting a lot of mixed reviews on the actual real world performance of the Macbook Pro....some seem to say it's slower in some instances and faster in others. From my first test it more or less blew the hinges off my G5....regardless of the frontside bus speed and other things that could affect its performance when comparing it to a desktop Mac.

I'll come back with more results if anyone cares...!
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams View Post
I'm sure there's been plenty of threads about this but I thought I would share anyway:

I just recently picked up a Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16 with 3GB of RAM

I hooked it up to a SATA ExpressCard (http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-2sm2-e/)
with a RAID 0 3G dual drive external enclosure http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-2en2/

Installed Logic Pro 7.2.1 and some other stuff and started running some comparison tests with my dual 2GHZ G5 with 4GB of RAM and a Lacie FW800 Raid 0 external drive.

First test I did was using the Logic demo song that came with Logic Pro software on the Content DVD. One of the folders on it is called "for G5 only" and it contains a full track demo song with a bunch of audio tracks a wide variety of plugins such as the Space Designer reverb and other "cpu intensive" plugins. I installed it on both the G5 and MBP.

Ran the song on the G5 at a 64 buffer setting. Using Menu Meters and the Apple Activity Monitor I watched how this session used up around 60-70% of each of the two processors on the G5. Tried to set the buffer to 32 and the G5 completely choked...had to put it back to 64.

Ran the same song on the Macbook Pro. Each processor now was being used at around 40-50% !!!!! and that's with the buffer set to 32!!!!! (which the dual G5 couldn't even handle).....wow...pretty cool!

This is the first of a few tests I'll be conducting to determine whether I can use this MBP in the same way I'm used to working on my G5 while on the road. So far it looks pretty good. Next test will be using the whole arsenal of software I usualy work with such as: Native Instruments Komplete (entire suite), Vienna Instruments, East West libraries in Kontakt2, Stylus RMX, BFD....etc....

I'm getting a lot of mixed reviews on the actual real world performance of the Macbook Pro....some seem to say it's slower in some instances and faster in others. From my first test it more or less blew the hinges off my G5....regardless of the frontside bus speed and other things that could affect its performance when comparing it to a desktop Mac.

I'll come back with more results if anyone cares...!
Hi K!

Very Nice! Keep on posting, I really would like to see more results especially when using 3rd party plugz. Thanks!
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Nut

I'm interested too. Looking at buying a MBP this year, (though I'd like to hold out for Logic 8, I won't hold my breath) to use as my primary rig since I'm on the move a lot. I've heard mostly good things so far, but there's nothing like a fairly scientific test to offer real proof!

-Zen
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

MBP with the new Symphony mobile card is looking pretty irresistible.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search