The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PLASMA or LCD to display Video - PT Mac
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

PLASMA or LCD to display Video - PT Mac

I'm currently putting together a Mactel PT HD-3 System.

What options do I have to say display the video in the PT project on a PLASMA/LCD.

Also which one? PLASMA or LCD.

What do look for in the PLASMA/LCD when buying?

Thanks for all advice,

David
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Addict

I think that you are aware that plasmas are prone to "burn-ins" when static images are displayed for extended periods of time
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Actually I have no experience with both Plasma and LCD. We will be the first studio in our neck of the woods to have such a set. For audio that is. There is one edit suite that had a plasma for a while now.

David
Old 26th January 2007

LCD's are generally safer, but if you buy a plasma with a burn-in resistant technology, it's less of a concern. Panasonic has this type of technology. I at one point had my 42" plasma for Pro Tools mixing, but the resolutions weren't quite high enough for critical editing.

I would suggest looking for the highest resolution display you can find.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
LCD's are generally safer, but if you buy a plasma with a burn-in resistant technology, it's less of a concern. Panasonic has this type of technology. I at one point had my 42" plasma for Pro Tools mixing, but the resolutions weren't quite high enough for critical editing.

I would suggest looking for the highest resolution display you can find.
Won't be using it for editing - it will be to display the video content of say a TV ad we are composing to or doing sound design for so the client can sit in the confy leather couch and view with ease.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Guru

All plasmas burn in. They are great for video, but not so much for monitors. Also you can get a 40" 1080 LCD for around $2000, whereas a similar plasma is 8K.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

What do I need to get the signal out of the Mac into the LCD?
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

A plasma or any other TV intended monitor (LCD's included) will not be high enough res.

Go with the 24" or 30" Apples

Not sure if the Dell Monitors will work with a Mac but if they can they might be a bit cheaper.
Old 26th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Viscous View Post
All plasmas burn in. They are great for video, but not so much for monitors. Also you can get a 40" 1080 LCD for around $2000, whereas a similar plasma is 8K.
WHAT? Where is this $8k number coming from? Two months ago I bought a 42" Panasonic plasma (HDTV - capable of 1080) for $1400. It's an incredible monitor, great for video playback. I use three plasmas and two CRTs for video playback and the plasmas actually look better. Burn in, with these Panasonics anyway, is NOT an issue, as already mentioned by a previous poster, unless it's going to display a static image for a LONG period of time. For video playback there's no chance of running into a problem. This is an old myth that Circuit City and the like have been trying to spread.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Maniac

LCD

I am using a Sony Bravia 46 inch LCD for my Pro Tools system and it looks fine. I used a DVI to HDMI cable to connect the LCD to my Mac Pro.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Addict

i got a lct tv and connected it using a dvi to hdmi convertot ( 6 quid from ebay )

looks geat.

K
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Check out: http://www.123macmini.com/gallery/di...ed&cat=0&pos=0

He's using the Westinghouse LVM-42w2 1080p LCD with his Mac Mini using DVI to DVI connection.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

I use a 40" lcd tv in my control room and it works plenty nice as a computer monitor. Resolution and quality is perfect for me, and I am not even using digital... Just rgb.

On the other hand, I have a friend that uses a 42" plasma in his control room, and the reolution is not bad but definately not as good as an lcd.

But if you are watching video on it, no computer interface, then I would say go either way.

To my understanding LCD's have a longer shelf life than plasmas too... Although this may no longer be true
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

A few years back i read about latency problems with Plasma screens. I have no idea if that still is the case but could be worth checking into.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
A plasma or any other TV intended monitor (LCD's included) will not be high enough res.

Go with the 24" or 30" Apples

Not sure if the Dell Monitors will work with a Mac but if they can they might be a bit cheaper.
I recently set up three Macs (a MacBook Pro, a Mac Pro, and a G5) with the 24" Dell 2407WFP. Quite a bit cheaper than the comparable Apple display, and more features. (USB hub, card reader, S-video and RCA inputs, etc.) I have used the Apple displays, but after spending time with these Dells I'm never going back.
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisgarrison View Post
I recently set up three Macs (a MacBook Pro, a Mac Pro, and a G5) with the 24" Dell 2407WFP. Quite a bit cheaper than the comparable Apple display, and more features. (USB hub, card reader, S-video and RCA inputs, etc.) I have used the Apple displays, but after spending time with these Dells I'm never going back.
I am trying to put togather a PT Mix++ system (I know it's old, but I work in 44.1/24 and I'm a tight-ass) and ordered a 24" Dell 2407WFP this morning, looks like a wicked monitor and they're on sale for $675 w/ free shipping. Should just about cover the width of my Panasonic DA7 Mixer, gonna put it on a VESA arm above the meterbridge.
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Most plasma displays have a nasty loud fan on them.
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisgarrison View Post
I have three of these in my studio, all on Macs, and all work perfectly. They cost about the same money as for one Apple 30".

In the control room, I have a Sceptre 42" LCD which has 1920 X 1080 resolution. It takes every input including DVI and VGA, and cost about $1600 - no-brainer for me.
Old 27th January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
Most plasma displays have a nasty loud fan on them.
My Panasonic has no fan...
Old 27th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
My Panasonic has no fan...
Yup, they're very quiet.
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioLogic View Post
I am using a Sony Bravia 46 inch LCD for my Pro Tools system and it looks fine. I used a DVI to HDMI cable to connect the LCD to my Mac Pro.
There's a rumor circulating that Apple's new "apple"TV will be able to wirelessly stream your desktop to an HDTV using the forthcoming Leopard OS. This makes sense - if the computer can stream video, it should be able to stream a desktop.

This feature, if implemented (hopefully the rumor is true) would make hooking up your computer to an LCD or Plasma display a breeze.
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

I have a Samsung 32" LCD TV, Apple 23"HD and Apple 20" monitors.

The 23" is on a monitor arm so it can get really close to my eyes.
It's great.

The Samsung LCD TV is 1080 capable but still isn't high enough resolution to do any real work on.
It is fine for watching movies while I work though. :-)
I think they are about $1k now.

HDMI can DVI are very similar except HDMI carries multi channel audio as well.
You can use a DVI to HDMI cable but you WILL need to feed the audio separately.

You cannot convert DVI + audio into HDMI on a single cable as far as I know- at least not easily.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

I thought I read somewher that Plasma TV's don't last as long as LCD's and Plasma emit some kind of radiation that LCD's don't.
Old 29th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
I thought I read somewher that Plasma TV's don't last as long as LCD's and Plasma emit some kind of radiation that LCD's don't.
And I've read that well-made current Plasma will last up to 25 years. I've never kept a TV longer than 8 years, so I'd say that even if it only lasts half the suggested amount of time it's still twice as long as I'd need it to.

The radiation comment, at least radiation of any relevant amount, has never been mentioned in the hundreds of articles I've read about Plasmas. Where did you read that?
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Nomad View Post
Won't be using it for editing - it will be to display the video content of say a TV ad we are composing to or doing sound design for so the client can sit in the confy leather couch and view with ease.
Many posters didn't catch this, I think.

This should be easy enough with most flatscreens, even cheaper ones will do fine. If it doesn't have DVI in, you simply get a DVI to HDMI cable.

Depending on your space, you may want to consider a projector. They tend to be easier on the eyes in a dimly lit room and often allow for bigger screen sizes. Most do come with a cooling fan though (usually 20-30dB) and good ones are a bit more expensive than getting a 32" LCD.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
And I've read that well-made current Plasma will last up to 25 years. I've never kept a TV longer than 8 years, so I'd say that even if it only lasts half the suggested amount of time it's still twice as long as I'd need it to.

The radiation comment, at least radiation of any relevant amount, has never been mentioned in the hundreds of articles I've read about Plasmas. Where did you read that?
Google Found it in 30 seconds try it!

http://www.flattvpeople.com/tutorial...CDTVs_work.asp

LCD TVs At-A-Glance:
Use non-emissive technology; do not emit radiation.
Use fluorescent tubes which require less power to operate.
Use non-emissive technology; do not emit radiation.

http://hometheater.about.com/od/lcdtvfaqs/f/lcdfaq2.htm

4. Shorter display life span (about 30,000 hours or 8 hrs of viewing a day for 9 years) than LCD. However, screen life span is improving to as high as 60,000 hours. due to technology improvements.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search