The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BFD 8 bit kit
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Addict

BFD 8 bit kit

So I just bought BFD (sounds great) and I want to look at some other types of drum sounds to play around with rather than just "real" sounding drums.

I am looking for a Portishead or Morcheeba or Radiohead type of drum sounds (just nothing too Dance club sounding)

Is the 8 bit kit a good idea?
Any other suggestions?
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

I would listen to the sounds at www.fxpansion.com first, but I can tell you that I have it love it!
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

I think some of the 808 and 909 sounds are cool. I wish they had put some dry, less-distorted samples on there, though, so I could play around with them myself.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks for the info .....

I listened to sounds already and loved them.

Just wanted to see what the opinions were on GSheh
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom View Post
I think some of the 808 and 909 sounds are cool. I wish they had put some dry, less-distorted samples on there, though, so I could play around with them myself.
So let me get this straight. Pretty much all the samples have some distortion and reverb as heard in their demo? And there is no control over this?
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

It's a flava thing.

At one point I thought 8-bit kit was listen on fxpansions site as "legacy" but I see it's lot listed that way now.

GC was blowing them out at around $100 for a while.

Damn, the UK pound is getting bigger.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum, Ralph View Post
So let me get this straight. Pretty much all the samples have some distortion and reverb as heard in their demo? And there is no control over this?
Yeah. Unless I'm missing something, the 808 and 909 samples were recorded using wacky mics and amplified through a custom PA system and the like. There's short kicks and long kicks, different snare sounds, etc., but they all sound distorted or processed in some way. The hihat sounds pretty good. But, I was a little disappointed. I was hoping for some really good 808/909 samples.

I didn't read the manual (does anyone) so maybe there's a way to use the standard BFD controls to get a drier, cleaner sound, but I haven't found it.

Anyone...
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Turn the PZM in the mix down and they'll sound much different. (Less distorted). Great kits, actually, but more for eclectic styles--Tom Waits type stuff.
For general use, I'd go for Deluxe and Jazz 'n' Funk.
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Head

I really like the 8 bit kit! also the percussion kit. It all depends what you're looking for....but those kits have the more oddball stuff. Like "kitchen sink". And , as said above, you do have control over the distortion, via mic choices, mixing levels, etc.
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

BTW, there are plenty of 808 samples around.

It would seem weird to put clean ones on a BFD set since it wouldn't really make use of the multi-outputs.
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Its definetly cool, but I feel like it should come with more sounds then it does. Also, alot of the sounds you can make yourself if you have time.
Old 27th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawdps View Post
So I just bought BFD (sounds great) and I want to look at some other types of drum sounds to play around with rather than just "real" sounding drums.

I am looking for a Portishead or Morcheeba or Radiohead type of drum sounds (just nothing too Dance club sounding)

Is the 8 bit kit a good idea?
Any other suggestions?
I know you're talking about the type of sound -- rather than how it was achieved -- but I was fascinated way back when to hear outtakes from the first Portishead album -- and realized that a huge part of the sound of that album came from radically tweaking (and hugely gating) more or less conventionally recorded rhythm section tracks... much of the tracking before the post-modern production kicked in was pretty conventional cabaret-rock arranging... guitar, bass, drums, keys.

I'd initially thought it was put together with samples but I realized they started with conventional tracks and then really wacked on them until it sounded... well, like it did.

Love that album, no matter how they achieved it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search