The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Do you find RME's TotalMix confusing?
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Do you find RME's TotalMix confusing?

I find it confusing and you?

Very often when I try to do something on the fly I have to stop and think of TotalMix routing.

I use Mytek 8X192 connected via RME's Babyface ADAT.

Which soft mixers delivered with interfaces do you find the best?

Last edited by sd-cd; 15th January 2016 at 08:35 AM..
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Sometimes I pull up the wrong channel on the headphone cues, but there's just so many possibilities - if you need them or not. The moment you'd need one thing that isn't there, that would be nasty.
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thank goodness my hybrid rig is set up so it uses the default totalmix session... Otherwise I'd be screwed!!!!
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I do too.
Sooo many possibilites.

Not complaining though because once you sorta get the hang of it there are so many cool things you can do.
Old 15th January 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
It has a bit of learning curve but I wouldn't want to use any other mixer due to the fact that it really is very logical.
It may help to see it as a bunch of inputs and software outputs connected to a bunch of aux channels simultaneously.
It's also great to save your snapshots whenever you find a setting that works for a specific task. This way it only takes one click to switch between different "modes"
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It is logical to me and I think, if you accustom to its basic idea, it is breeze to work with Totalmix.
I think, it is one of best DSP mixers for interfaces, because it packs lot of functionality to reasonable screen space.

I see, it can bring some confusion to people inexperienced with audio engineering
in general, but I believe for someone, who spend some time with mixing desk, it is familiar scheme of thinking.

For instance its three banks of faders:
physical inputs - same as mix input channels with direct outs patched to the recorder
computer inputs - tape returns
physical outputs - mix buses patched to outputs

Monitoring and headphones section is also simple - those are just selected mix buses from third row of fades with added special functionality, otherwise its operation is exactly same as for any normal bus.

For TM setup, it usually means assignment of buses, which are physically connected to main speakers, alt speakers and headphones to monitoring section.
Then for TM operation, I always tell my friends to familiarize with easy procedure -
select output bus you want to affect and then set levels of signals coming to it using faders in first two rows.

Only thing, which sometimes can add confusion to routing process is fact, advanced DAWs typically provides similar functionality like its own monitoring section etc. So then there are two layers of similar functionality and this can lead to issues. Another tip, similar to practice with normal console are meaningful labels at all possible places, which is of course beneficial for easy reach of particular fader without much thinking about it.

But my general thought about it is, it is as simple as it can be for given feature set. At some other systems, I often feel, it is either crippled or its UI is reinvention of wheel using very arcane way

Michal
Old 15th January 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
TotalMix is awesome. The only thing I personally miss is a tuner. The devs say that they have no time for it.... anyway, I think it helps to keep the three-row-view and not switch to two rows. You may also stay at submix routing for a while.
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah... I too battle with the learning curve when I first got it and hooked up my 16 channels of ADAT to my RME RayDat. When I first looked at the screen cause I couldn't hear anything from my DAW... it took me hours of trial and error, lots of google searches and youtube video's before I got it. It's not something to pull up and expect to know... Now that I got the basics down, I am a bit more comfortable with it...
Old 15th January 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have set up 3 different main profiles (tracking/ cue mix/ mixing) ... and whenever something isn't working/ i screwed up i just go revert back to them.. super useful (now i am running over 60 channels of ADDA... i often miss things... so I reset back to a preset )
Old 15th January 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The manual isn't very helpful... I can understand the frustration.

Once you get the hang of it, though, Totalmix turns out to be incredibly powerful.
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

there are videos out there that go over all the settings and routings. I need to watch them myself.. Pondering getting a UFX this year.. unless they announce something interesting at NAMM 2016 - I wish we could load in VST/AU's into this.. even if we introduce latency... id love to use the Sonarworks headphone plugin... without all the weird routing.. and such.
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had no problems, but i've seen people really confused.
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

The only thing I can compare TotalMix to is the CueMix FX that came with MOTU's pre-AVB interfaces.

TotalMix is about a hundred times more intuitive and easier to use than CueMix FX.

I will agree that the documentation isn't good and it takes a little while to get ramped up- but once you "get" it, it makes total sense. Loopback was the toughest thing for me to fully comprehend, but now I use it all the time- great for mixing PC & DAW audio when doing YouTube videos.
Old 15th January 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
The manual isn't very helpful... I can understand the frustration.

Once you get the hang of it, though, Totalmix turns out to be incredibly powerful.
I think RME should invest in some good video tutorials. I think Groove3 has a paid course now, but, with the regular posts about how difficult it is to start working with Totalmix, it is more than time for RME to invest in a good manual and/or education videos for users...

Beside that, I have been working with 2 HDSPe AES for some years now on a mac pro, rock solid drivers. And yes, Totalmix is powerful... once understood...
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's a learning curve for sure,What i'll do is take a screen shot of total mix
and when something doesn't sound ok, i look back at the screen shoot and see
what's wrong…………...
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It takes a while to get the hang of it, but it's quite nice in all the options once you've got it figured out. And I probably only use 1/3 of what I could be doing with it.
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

Just do a one off purchase from Groove3 and be done with it.. i have a year pass for 99 bucks and there is a TON on that site that makes it worth it.
Old 16th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Its very logical and super awesome. You need to put some effort in to learning it though.
Old 16th January 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hi

As mentioned earlier, this will clear up the confusion: https://www.groove3.com/RME-training...-Mix-Explained

K
Old 16th January 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
It's logical once you understand it. To understand it, the manual is of no help at all.
Old 16th January 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
totalmix is perfect i absolutley love it!
Old 16th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think it is easier and more well thoughtout than most other software-mixers. (anyone know the prism orpheus? boy, thats the by far worst interface-mixer there ever was)

the rme mixer is quite easy: you just have to understand the 3 layers: the physical inputs, the virtual outputs from your DAW and the physical outputs.

the physical inputs can either go to your DAW and/or sent directly to a physical output.
From your DAW you can send signals only to the virtual outputs.
your physical outputs are your connections to your speakers, headphones ...

in SUBMIX mode of totalmix just click on the physical output and then send signal to those by bringing up the faders from the physical input or virtual outputs.
Old 16th January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwDU7 View Post
I think RME should invest in some good video tutorials.
Wonder if the original german-language manual files are more intelligible than the translated english ones?
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Wonder if the original german-language manual files are more intelligible than the translated english ones?
No. The translations are totally accurate.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No. The translations are totally accurate.
That's somewhat depressing....

I have a smattering of German & had hoped the translations might have lacked somewhat, as many French-English ones seem to, for instance.

Mind you it is still easier for me to get my head round than the Emu Pathmix offering I was using before TotalMix, although I suspect that prepared me better for TotalMix! :D
Old 16th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yes, I find it confusing.
Really happy now I have a monitor controller so I don't have to touch Total Mix.
For me it has been too easy to unlearn. Every time I go back to it I don't remember the logic. That is the definition of unintuitive to me
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
That's somewhat depressing....
Quite. The manuals haven't been updated in over a decade...
Old 16th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Besides mentioned Groove 3 tutorial, which is excellent IMO, there is also official youtube tutorial by RME
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...lJKInSXF_f8UB6
All TotalMix features are covered.

Also I haven't found manual so bad written.. maybe it is because, I'm familiar with technical literature and I usually start by looking to block schematics and then possibly complete understanding of some features, by further reading of text.
In general its no really so different from some mixing desk operation.. and to me no special knowledge or logic has to be applied to TotalMix operation, which I really appreciate.. Classical where, what and how much approach..

Michal
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Quite. The manuals haven't been updated in over a decade...
I believe for all interfaces, which were initially shipped with TotalMix FX, its manual covers that..
And for older HDSP and HDSPe cards, which has TotalMix FX at its 2014 driver update, there is addendum to original manual
http://www.rme-audio.de/download/win...driver_4_e.pdf

Or do you think, manual doesn't miss any feature description, but text there should be expanded by additional examples like some "How Do I.." section?

Michal

Last edited by msmucr; 16th January 2016 at 08:06 PM..
Old 16th January 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I don't find the manuals badly written at all. They are very, very dry but also very accurate and precise.

I wish other manufacturers would have the same attention to detail.
πŸ“ Reply