The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Do you find RME's TotalMix confusing?
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I enjoy my Babyface PRO, but total mix is total cr4p...one of the worst pieces of software Ive seen.
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
TotalMix is one of the best digital mixers/routers.
You just have to be an engineer to use it, or just a little bit more qualified. Or just plain old RTFM. )
Old 18th March 2017 | Show parent
Reviews Editor

Love Total Mix too. Not sure where the difficulty comes from.
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I ordered and just received a BF Pro yesterday.

I did not RTFM, and for about an hour I had a bit of 're-calibrating' to do so I could wrap my head around Totalmix. After I adjusted my understanding of what the faders were and were not doing...all is good.

That being said....I think it is an incredibly flexible routing and front-end environment. To me it is much more intuitive than the software Focusrite was using a few years ago with the Saffire range.

I DO think there could be some consolidation WRT all the different 'pieces' of the RME software. I feel like Digicheck and the Settings software could all be folded into Totalmix so you had a one-stop-shop for setting the device up and accessing tools.

Minor gripe that everyone might not agree with.
Old 18th March 2017
P99
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I had trouble when I got my BF Pro. A buddy helped me out over the phone. Without him, I probably would still be trying to get a sound out. I saved that initial setup so if it gets goofy I can reload it, which I had to do once.

Signal routing is something I have a hard time with. Virtual buses and all that sort of stuff is confusing to me.
Old 18th March 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I don't use RME, but I have similar software. SSL Soundscape on MX4 cards. Pain to set up and the learning curve is not light. New level of complexity between the DAW and outboard gear. But man it sounds good.

For me the software was just like the old isa cards V8 Big block/MX tracks, so the learning curve was not that steep for me.

I went with SSL to gain dedicated hardware EQ and compression. Both Soundscape and RME mix have great drivers and will give you better sound from your DAW than most other drivers. I think both sets of driver minimize the CPU's involvement in moving the audio from hard drive to converters.

The additional complexity does cost you time. If you are not willing to work out the routing and spend lots of time for the additional quality, it's not worth it.
Old 19th March 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Totalmix is very good. I use it with an RME UFX along with the ARC. The trick is to take the time to create 'workspaces' and presets for various tasks.
I can instantly switch from 5.1 mix with LoRo loopback to basic 2 channel mix to 30 input tracking with multiple cue mixes by loading a saved workspace. Combine that with template sessions in the workstation and swapping setups is super fast.
The remote provides a calibrated monitor control, talkback w/dim/listenback, A/B monitoring, and user defined buttons.
It takes some time and attention to detail to customize Totalmix to suit your setup and workflow but it's worth the effort.

Last edited by Brian Campbell; 19th March 2017 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: spelling
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
The Total Mix concept is very very Illogical.

i had issues with it in many sessions! i was asking some friends for help who use RME. Everyone answered uuhhh the concept is confusing. Don't touch it if it works!! (All three like me 20+years amateur experience - one is even pro engineer!!)

The problem is: If you don't use it regularly, you may have forgotten the whole thing :-) and you get into troubles the next time you want to define someting. I think I must take my time to write it down myself.

It may be flexibel but I really hate that stuff - !
Old 19th March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-cd View Post
I find it confusing and you?

Which soft mixers delivered with interfaces do you find the best?
I find walking and chewing gum to be a challenge, but then again, I'm wired to be a musician, not an engineer. That's the ONLY thing that sux about what is DIY home daw, as everything else basically saved my life. In order to really get on with the experience, you need to be able to read, and uptake learned information in general, with what is a very logic based aptitude. Most musicians are at an all too real deficit in this sense, so it's a real struggle, but IMO unquestionably worth every bit of said struggle.

After having had three separate prior learning and application experiences, the first with Roland's VS1880, the second with E-MU, and the third with Presonus, RME's softmix application is hands down the most straight forward and efficient I have used thus far. In fact, it's so efficient that it's super easy to be overwhelmed by what you see, rather than how the application functions.

Once you basically accept that the top bank of faders is just external hardware input, the middle being your daw's asio routing, and the lower bank as being the analog outputs from the interface itself, your halfway there in terms basic application. The only thing else there is to initially grasp is that your mouse's right click function will patch it all together.

The manual is actually excellent in terms of instructions for sheer functionality. It's extreme weakness with respect to the new RME user, is the fact that it takes for granted that you have a basic working understanding of the terminologies used throughout.

Your best means of comprehending and implementing RME's audio interfaces and proprietary softmix application, the spiral bound manual + google every three words. lol Well, maybe not quite that frequently, but certainly numerous times per page.

Hope this relates/helps.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Maybe I have completely skewed perspective.. but what's exactly illogical at TM? Select the output bus, where you want to hear something, and pull up all faders from contributing inputs?

IMO everyone, who previously worked with some mixing console, get elementary concept of buses and can follow signal routing (eg. where to play what) should be able to figure it out. All that is an essential ability for any recording/mixing... otherwise one would get lost in DAW, mixing console or even simple patchbay. I can see someone is rather musician, but decides to cross the line between performance and engineering, it's quite natural, that it will require to gather some knowledge.
Other thing is, for the majority of use cases one doesn't need to fiddle with that after initial setup and it's possible to use built-in presets.

I've written some bits about TM operation several times here, when trying to help people.. but maybe it deserves rather short separate post with couple of pictures and essential concepts.. not as replacement for manual or comprehensive video walk-though, which I've also linked for several times. Just as a quick survival guide for the people, who just unbox their RME interface.. or lazy ones..
I'll try to do that soon.

Michal
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Maybe I have completely skewed perspective.. but what's exactly illogical at TM?
I'd say labelling of the various channel i/o is pretty poor, i.e., almost non-existent. I guess this is where a lot of the confusion is caused. Also, things like Loopback are really powerful but initially difficult to figure out. Proper labelling or some form of graphic representation would help.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murgatroyd View Post
E-MU
Have to say, the EMU PatchMix DSP app that I used with a 1616m was the single most unintuitive POS SW utility that I've ever used. Really the only way I got around it was that they provided a sh*tload of presets to use for many different settings.

It made TotalMix seem logical and easy to use...which is quite a statement to make.
Reviews Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
I'd say labelling of the various channel i/o is pretty poor, i.e., almost non-existent. I guess this is where a lot of the confusion is caused. Also, things like Loopback are really powerful but initially difficult to figure out. Proper labelling or some form of graphic representation would help.
This I agree with. Looks like software for the early 2000s.
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Very often when I try to do something on the fly I have to stop and think of TotalMix routing.

I use Mytek 8X192 connected via RME's Babyface ADAT.

Yeah I find it pretty hard to use. My policy is to set it up and leave it alone. I don't use it for much really. Pretty straight forward setup.

For me it can sometimes be a case of....so this goes from here to here and then to there...wait where did it come from and go to again? Where did...wait...what...huh...that goes from there to there and then...what...what am I talking about...what am I trying to do again....stop...think through clearly...huh???

I use the Fireface UC
Old 20th March 2017 | Show parent
P99
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
What is this powerful loopback and how can I use it?
Old 23rd March 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hi everyone!
I am trying to figure out if there is a way to use Totalmix with Sonarworks Reference plugin.
I am testing the new Sonarworks Systemwide , which allows the software to be on the Master so whatever audio is played in the computer it gets treated.
I was wondering : is there any routing possible within the Totalmix so all my physical inputs ( synthesisers and drum machines ) can be heard via the Sonarworks software and at the same time stay routed in Ableton to record them?
Any help much appreciated, I am googling for the past couple of days trying to get my head around it.
thank you!
Stefano
Old 23rd March 2017 | Show parent
Reviews Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by P99 View Post
What is this powerful loopback and how can I use it?
Loopback routes one output back to an input channel. Most common use is when you want to have your DAW audio on screen capture/video streaming/phone calls/other apps, as some software will only tap audio from the first set of physical inputs, so DAW's sound is not initially captured by them. Engage loopback on the output you're using for the DAW and voila, they will now catch that audio stream.

On Total Mix you have to click that little wrench icon on one of the outputs and the loopback button will be there. Keep in mind that this signal won't be displayed by the input meters.

Hope it helps!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Calling all Totalmix gurus:

My setup, Studio One/ RME Fireface UFX II, has a hardware patchbay basically as the hub where all i/o passes...EXCEPT for main monitors, Speaker B and headphone 1 and headphone 2. Those don't route through the patchbay...they only route direct out from RME AN1&2, 3&4 and 9&10, 11&12. All other i/o route through the patchbay so I can physically connect, say, any preamp to any compressor or eq...or any output channels from the DAW I choose into any combination of compressor or eq.

I have 4 preamp channels, 5 hardware compressor channels and 2 hardware EQ channels.

I have enough i/o to route out to and back from a lot of those comps and eq's when mixing so what I'd like to know is if in Totalmix I could setup one submix that could handle all the typical routings I may need for mixing?

I would be using the Pipeline plugin to route out of and back into Studio One and I would only want to hear in all physical outputs (Main, Speaker B, headphones) the wet signal out of the compressors and eq's.

So...can I set up a Totalmix submix for that?

Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
I have enough i/o to route out to and back from a lot of those comps and eq's when mixing so what I'd like to know is if in Totalmix I could setup one submix that could handle all the typical routings I may need for mixing?

I would be using the Pipeline plugin to route out of and back into Studio One and I would only want to hear in all physical outputs (Main, Speaker B, headphones) the wet signal out of the compressors and eq's.

So...can I set up a Totalmix submix for that?
Hi, I'm not sure, if I got your use case correctly.

Maybe I can try to settle on some terminology first.
A submix in TM is at every physical output of your interface. Every output there has own associated bus, which can have arbitrary blend of input (top row) and playback (middle row) signals. You can send several signals there and mix them or single signal there in unity gain, which essentially makes a static route.
So for example you interface has 28 outputs, and so there is also 28 mono submixes (or half for stereo outs), all works at same time.
State of all submixes for all outputs at the interface creates a mix. You can then save and recall this mix using snapshots in TM software, you can save those snapshots to workspaces etc.

Back to your use case. You've talked about mixing. There I don't see much use of hardware monitoring via TM.
Sure for tracking it can be good to hear some cue mixes with fixed and low latency from mic preamps and outboard effects before it hits a DAW. I see this is perfect use case for hardware monitoring, so you'll mix those physical inputs directly to particular submix (like headphones, speakers) at TM.
However for mixing, you usually don't want to do that. All playback channels from a DAW are routed directly to respective physical outputs 1:1, usually no other direct monitoring paths are feasible.
In another words, routing then happens only in your DAW. What you send from a DAW to particular software output will be routed directly only to single corresponding physical output. You likely won't need to hear this signal before it returns to a DAW via insert (Pipeline) plugin.
You'll be listening just to complete output from your DAW master, which will be routed to outputs, where you have your monitors or headphones.

Possibly correct me, if I got it wrong.. I can further expand about exact procedures, which I use.

Michal
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi, I'm not sure, if I got your use case correctly.

Maybe I can try to settle on some terminology first.
A submix in TM is at every physical output of your interface. Every output there has own associated bus, which can have arbitrary blend of input (top row) and playback (middle row) signals. You can send several signals there and mix them or single signal there in unity gain, which essentially makes a static route.
So for example you interface has 28 outputs, and so there is also 28 mono submixes (or half for stereo outs), all works at same time.
State of all submixes for all outputs at the interface creates a mix. You can then save and recall this mix using snapshots in TM software, you can save those snapshots to workspaces etc.

Back to your use case. You've talked about mixing. There I don't see much use of hardware monitoring via TM.
Sure for tracking it can be good to hear some cue mixes with fixed and low latency from mic preamps and outboard effects before it hits a DAW. I see this is perfect use case for hardware monitoring, so you'll mix those physical inputs directly to particular submix (like headphones, speakers) at TM.
However for mixing, you usually don't want to do that. All playback channels from a DAW are routed directly to respective physical outputs 1:1, usually no other direct monitoring paths are feasible.
In another words, routing then happens only in your DAW. What you send from a DAW to particular software output will be routed directly only to single corresponding physical output. You likely won't need to hear this signal before it returns to a DAW via insert (Pipeline) plugin.
You'll be listening just to complete output from your DAW master, which will be routed to outputs, where you have your monitors or headphones.

Possibly correct me, if I got it wrong.. I can further expand about exact procedures, which I use.

Michal
I've seen you in this thread before I think. You're very knowledgeable on Totalmix. I hope you don't mind this long explanation. But it's the best way I can convey my issue. (By the way your last paragraph there is YES exactly what I want from mixing...but you'll note below some provisos) Here we go:

***Please note that "Pipeline" is a plugin for the DAW "Studio One" that can be inserted on any mono or stereo channel...it allows routing of that channel to and from external hardware. It "pipes" the signal out to an external compressor or eq or whatever...and back into the DAW again.

****There is an image at the end of this post of my hardware Patchbay. Most things are labelled. "PULSE" refers to the Ferrofish Pulse 16...an ADAT i/o expansion unit.

My big problem to this point has been in actually describing what I'm trying to do and actually describing the problem blocking my way. I don't have the lingo or understanding to put in words what I want to do. And happy new year to you too!

Basically what I think is going on is I need to grapple with Pipeline & Totalmix...and their interrelationship. But there is also an external hardware patchbay in play as well. But one thing at a time.

When Totalmix is set to "DAW Mode" (a simplified version of Totalmix which is described as 1:1 routing) everything is fine...which tells me all patchbay connections and ALL "physical cable routing" is correct. No worries there. Cables are good. During TRACKING I can route any of my 4 preamp channels to any of my 5 compressors or 2 eq's. During MIXING I can use Pipeline to route any track/ bus/ master output to any external compressor or eq. So...all good. The physical connections are right. The virtual and physical routings are correct. And what's more....Pipeline works no problem in Totalmix DAW Mode.

The only bad thing about Totalmix DAW Mode is that you lose the convenience of switching easily between (in my case 4) monitoring outputs: Main monitors, Speaker B and 2 headphones. In DAW mode I can not control these outputs...I have to control the output I want to hear on the Studio One master channel out. As you can imagine, when mixing you may want to be changing between a couple of different headphones and also listening on your main monitors and "B" monitors in order to check your mix on a number of sources. In Totalmix DAW mode I would have to constantly go to the Studio One master out and specify the output. Very inconvenient and slow. In Totalmix Full Function Mode...the output is ALWAYS available in both headphones and the MAIN or "B" monitors are a click away in Totalmix. In fact in Full Function mode if I'm mixing mainly on my MAIN monitors I don't have to do anything...they can remain on and I can throw on either headphone whenever I want and the output signal from Studio One is always there.

Having never used Pipeline before (or ever having the need for it because I never had external hardware gear...I was all in the box) I was used to just picking up either of my 2 headphones and the signal would be there. Or of un-"dimming" the main monitors and listening to them...or switching to Speaker B. I could do this because I was in full Totalmix mode...NOT DAW Mode.

I only use DAW mode to indicate to myself and satisfy my mind that all physical cabling is accurate. And it is.

Totalmix DAW Mode is great...but I can't change output monitoring easily.
Totalmix Full Mode is also great...but with Pipeline active on the Master channel out in Studio One........I can't hear anything!!

So, I hope, where you can help is in..............what do I have to do in Totalmix Full Function mode to successfully allow Pipeline to do its thing.......AND then be able to hear ONLY the output of Studio One. Because as you said...You likely won't need to hear this signal before it returns to a DAW via insert (Pipeline) plugin. You'll be listening just to complete output from your DAW master, which will be routed to outputs, where you have your monitors or headphones.

And that.............in a MASSIVE NUTSHELL.....is what I want to do/ know/ learn.

I know it's doable...because Totalmix DAW mode does it no worries.

I need to know how to do it in Totalmix Full Function mode.

And should you want to see an image of my patchbay configuration here it is:

Attached Thumbnails
Do you find RME's TotalMix confusing?-20201227_133429.jpg  

Last edited by hello people; 3 weeks ago at 11:20 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi,

thanks for more thorough explanation.

TM DAW mode completely bypass any hardware routing or direct monitoring at the interface. It's suitable only for situations, when someone would like to route everything in DAW or have full outboard monitoring, routing and use DAW in tape like fashion. In those scenarios, it can really simplify operation of TM.
It is possible to send signal simultaneously to speakers and headphones in DAW mode, but you'd have to do it in your DAW.

Also it isn't practical to switch between full and DAW modes on daily basis.. say for tracking and mixing respectively, because the switch completely wipes current routing settings from TM. It's rather one time setting according to overal setup and desired workflow.

However DAW mode technically makes just 1:1 routing between software playback outputs and physical outputs. And of course it also simplifies TM GUI, so all routing options are hidden.

You can achieve the same 1:1 routing, when you are in full mode and select
Option > Reset Mix > Straight Playback in the menu. That's basically built-in preset.

Most likely the reason for your issues with insert plugin was some incorrect routing in full mode.

To be continued...

Michal
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here is what I'd do with some explanations.

- open TM in full mode.

- menu Options > Reset Mix > Total Reset

- menu Options > Reset Mix > Straight Playback

- assign speaker A and speaker B to respective physical outputs in mon. section.

What you send to speaker A (say software playback Analog 1-2) will be automatically send also to output designated as speaker B. In another words, both submixes are automatically mirrored.

- assign output for Phones 1

Submix for Phones doesn't mirror Speaker output by default. This will allow you to make individual submixes for speakers and headphones. However if you use headphones for your own monitoring (as opposed to monitoring for some artist/talent), you likely would like to hear exact same thing like in speakers.
To enable mirroring from speakers to phones, right click to speaker output fader cap, select "Copy/Mirror output MAIN".
Then right click at phones fader cap and select "Mirror of Output MAIN".
There is also option to paste submix from MAIN, but this is only one time copy of submix, mirror means, those submixes became permanently linked.
This way everything you'll send to speakers (for example via Analog 1-2 output from a DAW) will be automatically heard also in your headphones.

- save this settings as a snapshot and label that as Straight or Mixing for example
You have eight available mix snapshots at right side of TM. Just hit Store button there and select one of eight slots.

This will be your base setting for mixing with 1:1 routing of software playback channels to physical outputs.
Your main DAW output will be say analog 1-2 (or where you have your speakers A).
At insert plugin you'll select respective input and output channels, where the device is connected.
So for example if you'd like to use pair of your Beheringer Plultecs at master, you'll use stereo insert plugin and select ADAT 3-4 (Pulse 3-4) as a send and then Analog 7-8 as return.

Finally you can make a copy of this snapshot to another slot and modify it according to your needs for tracking duties.
You might need some low latency hardware monitoring for this use. So you just activate particular submix in TM by clicking to respective output fader in bottom row and raise desired physical input fader.
For example you might like to hear input 4 coming from Grace preamp, which will be normalled to this input at the patchbay. You will click to headphones fader in bottom row and then raise fourth fader in top row.

By having two (or more) saved snapshots in TM, you can easily switch between straight mixing setup and tracking setup with hardware monitoring enabled.

Michal
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,

thanks for more thorough explanation.

TM DAW mode completely bypass any hardware routing or direct monitoring at the interface. It's suitable only for situations, when someone would like to route everything in DAW or have full outboard monitoring, routing and use DAW in tape like fashion. In those scenarios, it can really simplify operation of TM.
It is possible to send signal simultaneously to speakers and headphones in DAW mode, but you'd have to do it in your DAW.

Also it isn't practical to switch between full and DAW modes on daily basis.. say for tracking and mixing respectively, because the switch completely wipes current routing settings from TM. It's rather one time setting according to overal setup and desired workflow.

However DAW mode technically makes just 1:1 routing between software playback outputs and physical outputs. And of course it also simplifies TM GUI, so all routing options are hidden.

You can achieve the same 1:1 routing, when you are in full mode and select
Option > Reset Mix > Straight Playback in the menu. That's basically built-in preset.

Most likely the reason for your issues with insert plugin was some incorrect routing in full mode.

To be continued...

Michal
Thanks Michal...I am starting to get the picture. Your comment about "Straight Playback" is most interesting. Keen to hear whatever else you have to say. No hurry.

Lives for gear

Quote:
Here is what I'd do with some explanations.

- open TM in full mode.

- menu Options > Reset Mix > Total Reset

- menu Options > Reset Mix > Straight Playback

- assign speaker A and speaker B to respective physical outputs in mon. section.

What you send to speaker A (say software playback Analog 1-2) will be automatically send also to output designated as speaker B. In another words, both submixes are automatically mirrored.

- assign output for Phones 1

Submix for Phones doesn't mirror Speaker output by default. This will allow you to make individual submixes for speakers and headphones. However if you use headphones for your own monitoring (as opposed to monitoring for some artist/talent), you likely would like to hear exact same thing like in speakers.
To enable mirroring from speakers to phones, right click to speaker output fader cap, select "Copy/Mirror output MAIN".
Then right click at phones fader cap and select "Mirror of Output MAIN".
There is also option to paste submix from MAIN, but this is only one time copy of submix, mirror means, those submixes became permanently linked.
This way everything you'll send to speakers (for example via Analog 1-2 output from a DAW) will be automatically heard also in your headphones.

- save this settings as a snapshot and label that as Straight or Mixing for example
You have eight available mix snapshots at right side of TM. Just hit Store button there and select one of eight slots.

This will be your base setting for mixing with 1:1 routing of software playback channels to physical outputs.
Your main DAW output will be say analog 1-2 (or where you have your speakers A).
At insert plugin you'll select respective input and output channels, where the device is connected.
So for example if you'd like to use pair of your Beheringer Plultecs at master, you'll use stereo insert plugin and select ADAT 3-4 (Pulse 3-4) as a send and then Analog 7-8 as return.

Finally you can make a copy of this snapshot to another slot and modify it according to your needs for tracking duties.
You might need some low latency hardware monitoring for this use. So you just activate particular submix in TM by clicking to respective output fader in bottom row and raise desired physical input fader.
For example you might like to hear input 4 coming from Grace preamp, which will be normalled to this input at the patchbay. You will click to headphones fader in bottom row and then raise fourth fader in top row.

By having two (or more) saved snapshots in TM, you can easily switch between straight mixing setup and tracking setup with hardware monitoring enabled.

Michal
Brilliant. This is really excellent Michal. I will try all this in several hours and see how I go. If my memory is right, I think I never really had any issues when tracking. I would just select a preamp...route to a compressor unit or eq (if I wanted and then routed from there to RME 1&2 input (or whatever input)...and the signal always came through.

I had serious issues with mixing...and that is what you've really helped me with.

So, thank you very much. That info is really wonderful. 1000 thanks.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Brilliant. This is really excellent Michal. I will try all this in several hours and see how I go. If my memory is right, I think I never really had any issues when tracking. I would just select a preamp...route to a compressor unit or eq (if I wanted and then routed from there to RME 1&2 input (or whatever input)...and the signal always came through.

I had serious issues with mixing...and that is what you've really helped me with.

So, thank you very much. That info is really wonderful. 1000 thanks.

You're welcome and good luck with your setup and mixing. If you stumble upon some issue, just update this thread. Maybe I would have some answer or workaround.

Michal
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're welcome and good luck with your setup and mixing. If you stumble upon some issue, just update this thread. Maybe I would have some answer or workaround.

Michal
No worries. Thank you.

What I want to do is what you describe in your message. With that in mind I SHOULD be ok.

I will post here if not.

Thanks again so much

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Very often when I try to do something on the fly I have to stop and think of TotalMix routing.

I use Mytek 8X192 connected via RME's Babyface ADAT.

Get to know TM by passing a signal through and channel and go chase the signal through the maze.

Eventually it makes sense, took me a few weeks to really make sense of it all and remember the options.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
People wither love or hate TotalMix. I hate it. RME are writing for a certain, probably sophisticated, segment of the market, and that suits them, and apparently that works for them. I have the thing on some default setting, and I never open it. I've never seen a less intuitive software. That's not to say that I doubt those who understand it and appreciate it.

Perhaps, if I find a week to spare and a supply of lorazepam, I may have another go at it some day.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I don't find TotalMix confusing because I just accept the fact that I cannot understand it and likely never will.

I've been through a couple of tutorials and I still can't wrap my head around it. I have my HDSPe AIO plugged into an interface (MR816x) in standalone via ADAT, somehow managed to set it up so that the I/Os all work, and route in Reaper...

I made a snapshot of the TM layout for this and have redundant backups because I doubt I could do it again. But at least it works for my humble bedroom studio setup.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Yes it can be confusing but just remember whatever output you click on then all the sliders are pertinent to that only. Also remember the loop back feature. I’ve only had my Babyface Pro FS about a month and have managed to get across TotalMix. It is good and allows so much more than others do but takes a bit of getting your head around.
πŸ“ Reply