The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Optimise for mySpace?
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Addict

Optimise for mySpace?

Does anyone know if there is a "best" bitrate for MP3s to be uploaded to myspace?

Does myspace convert it to a certain bitrate?

Thanks

lD

stike
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

i'm pretty sure (and this is a sad thing) that the MySpace player plays MP3s @ either 96kbps or 128kbps.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Whatever sample rate you upload it, MySpace convert it to 96kps
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

That explains why the audio sounds so bad.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Exactly.. I always start to cry when I post new songs for my band MySpace... but I can understand why they do that, there's so many bands on that website, just think about the bandwitdh use everyday!
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

simple solution: upload them another server and add a flash player
see the example in my sig !
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkyer View Post
simple solution: upload them another server and add a flash player
see the example in my sig !
That's what I did for my personal profile, check this out: www.myspace.com/luctellier
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by luctellier View Post
That's what I did for my personal profile, check this out: www.myspace.com/luctellier
where do you get the flash player?
i would love to do this!

~j.d.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice View Post
where do you get the flash player?
i would love to do this!

~j.d.
Well the "customization" of my profile was made in Adobe Photoshop CS but the little flash player was taken from www.myflashfetish.com ... there's a lot of model on that website and it's free
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well the "customization" of my profile was made in Adobe Photoshop CS but the little flash player was taken from www.myflashfetish.com ... there's a lot of model on that website and it's free
thanks a lot!

i actually have Flash 8 and Adobe Photoshop CS2 but i am painfully ignorant of how to properly use them

~j.d.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

haha just get the www.myflashfetish.com's player then
Old 24th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice View Post
i'm pretty sure (and this is a sad thing) that the MySpace player plays MP3s @ either 96kbps or 128kbps.
It sure sounds like 96 to me. It's that endge of wanting to turn it off kinda feel...

I find MySpace to be one of the VERY least pleasant places to investigate music and artists.

It's always the bridesmaid and ne'er the bride -- but www.Soundclick.com has been going through a fairly aggressive overhaul lately -- AND their Flash player not only uses 128 but they've substantingly upgraded it. It's still kinda funky as I guess any Flash-hosted player will be, but it allows considerably more user control that the very primitive MySpace player.

AND they've added personal pages, too, similar to Friendster/MySpace pages, which are somewhat customizable and you can do the blog thing -- but also promote your "stations" -- essentially custom playlists of one or more artist you can assemble.

It's not the ultimate imaginable but most of the features are available under free membership (freeloaders like me are limited to 128 kbps mp3 uploads, though, and a couple other minor limitations).
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pretty cool! Sounds great, Luc! thumbsup

That's pretty sweet you can weasel some decent-sounding files onto Myspace after all! That crap sounds WORSE than 96kbps, I wonder how they're converted and if they go thru this conversion phase if the MP3 is uploaded at 96kbps to begin with (I would imagine it might.)
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks I appreciate it
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah amazing profile work hahaha !!!!

By the way did you know you were getting famous in the province?
Not one, but two bands have been asking me for the Luc Tellier sound recently !
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
I wonder how they're converted and if they go thru this conversion phase if the MP3 is uploaded at 96kbps to begin with (I would imagine it might.)
Yeah, me too? Also what algorithm do they use? And are they using fast compression?
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkyer View Post
Yeah amazing profile work hahaha !!!!

By the way did you know you were getting famous in the province?
Not one, but two bands have been asking me for the Luc Tellier sound recently !
Haha c'est ben crampant ça, quel bands?
Old 24th January 2007
Quote:
THAT is surpassingly cute!

I don't impress easily but that is for sure the best looking M/S page I've been to. By several quantum leaps.

Good stuff.
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Addict

awesome info -

Luctellier - I have zero idea how you made your profile look so different - very nice.

lD
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks folks!

Basically I hide all the myspace stuff and only show the html table that format my "mixer". The mixer is sliced into different image to let me map them to the desired URL!
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha c'est ben crampant ça, quel bands?
some band from my city with no name yet and a band called The Fadeout
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

I have to ask... are you guys positive myspace converts to 96kbps? Cause I've heard quite a few 96kbps mp3s, and they never sounded as bad.. or is it the double conversion?

Thanks.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

You must see this!?

I just signed up a new profile on myspace and look what the banner is reading. I just had to take a screen dump! heh
Attached Thumbnails
Optimise for mySpace?-myspace.jpg  
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragan View Post
I have to ask... are you guys positive myspace converts to 96kbps? Cause I've heard quite a few 96kbps mp3s, and they never sounded as bad.. or is it the double conversion?

Thanks.
96kbps is awful no matter how you slice it.
and yes, positive. if you click the "download" link (and it actually works) then you'll end up with a 96kbps mp3. in the past you could download the original source file at whatever bitrate that was at, but they stopped doing it a few months ago.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

it is possible now that Rupert Murdoch has acquired MySpace that there will be improvements made in this area (bitrate of songs).

Mr. Murdoch is many things but one of them is not dumb, and if he sees that there is a demand from users for a higher bitrate i think he will respond.

there was a demand for more photo space; it was addressed and now you can upload hundreds of photos.
also the maximum photo size was just increased to 1.2MB.

so there is hope for MySpace artists, but only if they let their collective voices be heard!!

cheers.
~j.d.
Old 10th May 2007
Gear Head

Lightbulb The Myspace Test

I uploaded a 96kbps file, and it didn't claim to do anything with it, and it played the same as I heard it.

I then uploaded a 320 kbps file, and it said it would re-encode to myspace's format, and could take 24 hrs. Instead it only took about a couple mins.

After playing them both, the only difference in the sound quality was the 7000k-8000k range sounded smoother with my uploaded 320 kbps file than my 96kbps fixed bitrate on the s sounds. I'm thinking that it either is variable 96kbps, or just slightly higher than 96. It definitely is not 128 kbps.
Old 7th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey MAn, Where is your Player?!?!
Old 7th August 2007
Lives for gear

what I don't understand is why they don't write a flash player that supports m4a. Lower filesizes, higher quality...
Old 7th August 2007
Quote:
Whatever sample rate you upload it, MySpace convert it to 96kps
That's how I have it figured.

It's the cassette quality of Mp3s... highly compromised and barely listenable.

One thing you can do is put host your music on something like Soundclick -- which allows 128 kbps free hosting (up to 10 MB/file, unlimited number) and rates up to 320 kpbs, I think, for the subscription music hosting. Now -- there IS an apparent problem at Soundclick -- and that's highly intrusive pop up advertising that doesn't seem to affect current, up to date browsers (I tested with IE7, FF 2x, and Safari for Windows) but with OLDER browsers with no pop up protection or pop-up protection turned off CAN pop nasty little javascript modal pop ups (that are hard to close and totally dangerous to click -- I used Task Manager to close one down).

HOWEVER... Soundclick has a free player you can EMBED in your MySpace page and stream whatever quality your SC account permits through the stupid MySpace page. (And in my testing, that appears safe, even with an older browser with defenses down. It's a Flash player and I believe the current version of the Flash plug in limits how a Flash player can serve material for user safety.)

I removed the CRAPPY MySpace player entirely -- since it keeps the MySpace pages so slow loading and simply go with an embedded Soundclick player (and another flash based player that can stream my podcast files from their home on the Internet Archive).

example: MySpace.com - www.myspace.com/onebluenine (CAUTION: Auto-Play is set on for demonstration purposes!)

[I have to say that this new embeddable player MAY be putting a bigger burden on the Soundclick servers than they expected. Where SC used to be VERY fast at serving up pages and media, since the introduction of the embeddable player, things have gotten a bit slow -- particularly with remote players as I have on my M/S page... but it's still almost always faster than the crappy M/S player was... and while it's not perfect -- it's a far better player, even aside from relative fidelity.]
Old 7th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainy-taxi View Post
what I don't understand is why they don't write a flash player that supports m4a. Lower filesizes, higher quality...
A lot of people can't or haven't been able to play so-called Mp4 audio...

For instance, I was a paid user of Quicktime Pro 6.5 -- but it refused to play Mp4 level media saying I didn't have up to date codecs and offering to search for them. If you took them up on that it churned for quite a while and came back saying there were no updates. It took me a while to realize that QT7 was even OUT! ...since the QT updater mentioned nothing about it.

And I was NOT able to upgrade to QT 7 -- without either paying FULL PRICE for QT 7 Pro -- no upgrade discount at all! -- at least not without uninstalling QT 6.5 Pro -- which I PAID for and wanted to USE for quick video editing, damn it!

I finally found the open source VLC player which WILL play Mp4 audio and video and that got me over that hump.

(I still ended up losing my investment in QuickTime Pro when Apple refused to issue security patches for the highly vulnerable player -- even as exploits were popping up across the web! So I finally bit the bullet, uninstalled it and got the free, supposedly security-patched, limited version of QT7 just so I wouldn't be opening myself up to known threats. I'll tell you what -- much as I really like the iPhone [and I do -- it's a very good product for a debut, looks to me], my experience with that "small" issue really put me off Apple... I swore after QTPro that I'd never give them another dime. So far I've been making that stick.)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search