The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Figuring out PT12HD Native...issues.. Control Surfaces
Old 8th January 2016
Here for the gear

Question Figuring out PT12HD Native...issues..

I just upgraded my Pro Tools system; rephrase, purchased my first "professional" PT setup. The last rig I used was a 2008 Mac Pro with 192s running PT10HD TDM, so for comparison sakes, thats what I'm coming from. I've read a lot of forums about current PT issues, but wanted to see if I boned myself getting this computer/IO setup that I thought/think would/will be super powerful for my needs.

I went PT12 HD Native Thunderbolt with a Late 2015 27" iMac 5k running El Capitan (4.0GHz Core i7, 32GB RAM, 2TB Fusion Drive writing to an external) and my IO is an Apogee Symphony 8x8. My read/record drive is a USB 3.0 Lacie Porsche Portable thing. It doesn't say what its read/write speed is, couldn't find it anywhere, but figured if I got DAE errors, I'd look into something else. Super stoked to get everything up and running, got everything right around Christmas/New Years and I've been in "test the system" mode ever since.

___

First Issue - almost every time I boot up Tools (particularly from a fresh boot of the computer), I get slapped with an AAE ****72 or -9093 error within the first 2 minute of a session being opened. Then its pretty much gone after one or two attacks. Experienced in 12.3 AND 12.4.

Second Issue - Tracking. Currently, I'm mixing a track with <40 tracks and doing some writing projects that are mainly VIs (Kontakt, Massive, SSD) and Guitar rig tracks.

Mixing first, I had a handful of plugins on other tracks, running 64 buffer, dubbing e bass with one instance of SansAmp. It was rare if I got through an entire take without an AAE ****72. Trying to problem solve, I turn off all plugins, bump up to 128 buffer, and try loading the session into my RAM since 32GB should be plenty enough to tango. Still got AAE ****72. Errgghh. Restart the computer, boot up tools, one start up error, tried to track bass again, same thing. AAE ****72. One last ditch effort, I updated PT from 12.3 to 12.4 to see if that would help. Nope. Gave up. Just comped the takes the next day instead of getting a full take.

Comparing that bass overdub to my usual songwriting setup which is like 10-20 mono or stereo Guitar Rig tracks for fx and noodles, 20-60 mono layers of sample loops, SSD, NI VIs, Boom, and other plugs, I rarely get those AAE errors during tracking. What the...?

Third Issue - Weird meters, plugin lag, and plugin copy freakouts. My meters have been laggy in 12.3 and 12.4; both in plugins, and mixing/edit windows. It's possible I'm not used to the updated metering since PT10HD, but it can't possibly be this much of a difference. Super weird to use UAD/Slate/Native plugin compressors and the VU be super wonky.

The plugin copy issue is one I just discovered. Whenever I'm copying, lets say, a UAD SSL E Channel from one track to the next, the second I let go of the clicker, all audio stops but meters continue to see signal. Hit Spacebar to stop, Hit spacebar to play, all good.

___

My question; are these issues related to my computers configuration or potential lack of power, Pro Tools being unreliable and buggy, higher expectations with this compy build than I should have, or me being a moron and setting something up wrong?

PS - Sorry if this is in the wrong forum/thread. Still a GS noob.
Old 9th January 2016
Here for the gear

No one is seeing anything obviously wrong with the set up? Is this just protools being protools?
Old 9th January 2016
Gear Maniac

I had the second and third issue in El Capitan. Went back to Yosemite and all is well.
Old 9th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by geohdude View Post
No one is seeing anything obviously wrong with the set up? Is this just protools being protools?
There's an entire sub-section for Pro Tools in this forum under Music Computers.

There's also Avid's forum, the DUC. Maybe try there.
Old 9th January 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowrange View Post
I had the second and third issue in El Capitan. Went back to Yosemite and all is well.
Getting back to Yosemite may be difficult; the mac came preinstalled El Capitan and I don't have a back up of Yosemite to try that out. Also not sure if Yosemite will run clean with the newer hardware in the Late 2015 iMac or at least this OS X page has me a little nervous to try that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
There's an entire sub-section for Pro Tools in this forum under Music Computers.

There's also Avid's forum, the DUC. Maybe try there.
Yep, sorry if this is in the wrong section. Couldn't figure out how to get the post to show up in the PT section :face palm:

Gonna try and see if the DUC will turn up any info. Will post back with any solutions found there.
Old 22nd December 2016
Here for the gear

I have the first one :( any idea?
Old 22nd December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robingroove View Post
I have the first one :( any idea?
Seems to be an issue with PT12 for some users. I returned my original iMac and bought a 2013 Mac Pro and most of those original issues went away. Check the duc. Pretty good help over there.
Old 22nd December 2016
Here for the gear

Also dumped that lacie drive and got a USB 3.0 SSD that helped a lot.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search