The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Going to upgrade to Intel Mac
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Going to upgrade to Intel Mac

I'm currently using a dual 2.5ghz G5 and am considering getting an Intel machine.

The big question is....can I just swap the SATA drives from my G5 into the new Intel box or is there going to be a catastrophic failure due to the OS expecting one process and getting another?

I use:

DP5
Waves diamond bundle
Autotune 5
Altiverb 5
and a UAD card

From what I can see on the net all of these products are ready for the Intel machine or have some sort of solution. Is that correct or am I going to find that something wont work with the new computer?

Thanks for any and all of you input thumbsup
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Addict

You can't run a G5 (or PPC) operating system on an Intel Mac, so it's best to start fresh and install all your software on the Intel machine. Your SATA drives will still work hardware-wise, but Apps will have to be re-installed (and make sure they're the UB versions). Preference files can be copied over from the G5 though.

All the software you listed are available as UBs but not necessarily the versions you listed - for example Altiverb 5 isn't UB, but Altiverb 6 is.
Old 24th January 2007
jdg
Lives for gear

the setup assistant works great at getting your settings from one comp to another.

used that a bunch in the past.

good luck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search