The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Softube Costs a LOT more than the Price of its Plug-In
Old 3rd January 2016
Lives for gear

Softube Costs a LOT more than the Price of its Plug-In

So I purchased the great sounding ChannelStrips from Softube.
They take up about 100MB in my Plug-In folder.

What wonders me the most if why Softube wants to waste my expensive SSD space by forcing me to install their entire collection of plugs rather than just the two I want to use...

In my case to use 100Mb worth of Software I have a big fat package called Softube in my Applications folder taking up a whopping 1.3 GB of Space...

How on EARTH can Softube justify this ?
Are they really THAT desperate for me to test their other plugs
Old 3rd January 2016
Gear Nut

It seems they got that trick from their colleague's at Universal Audio. I guess your only option is to delete the ones you're not gonna use by hand.

Good luck!
Old 3rd January 2016
Lives for gear

Thx for the reply.... Yeah, it bugs me as well with UA. This is an obnoxious and highly arrogant business strategy.
I'll follow your advice and see what happens !

Thx
Old 3rd January 2016
Gear Head
No, you don't have to install all of them. I bought a handful during the Christmas sale and the installer let me choose which ones to install. Just pay close attention during the installation process and you should have no problem selecting just the plugins that you have bought.
Old 3rd January 2016
Lives for gear

Yeah, they give me that option as well... AFTER installing the big cohuna which is sitting in the applications folder.... And THAT is 1.3GB

So one winds up with 1.3 GB in the App Folder ALONG with the additional 100MB in the Plug-In Folder.

If one had bought ALL the plugs - he would was about 2.6GB on the SSD whereas he would only NEED 1.3.

This is insane and should be remedied.
Old 4th January 2016
Gear Maniac

Equally odd: Every time you install or uninstall any of the plugins with their Softube Plug-ins Control app, it apparently deletes every installed Softube plugin file, then re-creates them all. Check your Trash bin (on OSX) after installing or deleting anything.

It seems like a very unnecessary and space-wasting install process.

Sonalksis suffers from similar installation mania.
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
Yeah, they give me that option as well... AFTER installing the big cohuna which is sitting in the applications folder.... And THAT is 1.3GB

So one winds up with 1.3 GB in the App Folder ALONG with the additional 100MB in the Plug-In Folder.

If one had bought ALL the plugs - he would was about 2.6GB on the SSD whereas he would only NEED 1.3.

This is insane and should be remedied.
Really? 1.3 Gb of space costs "a lot more" and is "highly arrogant" and "insane"? Come on dude. That's just ridiculous. Some people have real things to worry about. Talk about the entitlement age.
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear

I agree with feck.

You can delete the big all-in-one installer after you have installed the plug-in you want to use.
No big deal. And WAAAAY better than the convoluted single installers from McDSP for instance. Or AVIDs stomp boxes. Those take a looooong time to install.

I prefer the Softube way.
Old 4th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
No, you don't have to install all of them. I bought a handful during the Christmas sale and the installer let me choose which ones to install. Just pay close attention during the installation process and you should have no problem selecting just the plugins that you have bought.
On Windows, all Softube plug-ins are copied to the hard drive during the install process - no questions asked. I would be surprised if OSX is any different.

Looking at the below screen, you may think you're safe and have no plug-ins installed, but rest assured that every single plug-in (both VST and AAX) is copied to the hard drive during install.

The Windows path to where Softube invade 1 GB of your SSD space is: C:\Program Files\Softube\Plug-Ins VST AAX 64-bit\Resources

Last edited by Henrik Hjortnaes; 4th January 2016 at 09:16 AM..
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear

This is the reason why I didn't install their free saturation plugin.
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post
On Windows, all Softube plug-ins are copied to the hard drive during the install process - no questions asked. I would be surprised if OSX is any different.
I see. On the Mac, all their plug-ins live inside the Softube installer application, that application is installed into Macintosh HD/Applications/.

After installing the desired plug-ins, this app is easy to get rid of - just put it in the trash and empty the trash.
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Really? 1.3 Gb of space costs "a lot more" and is "highly arrogant" and "insane"? Come on dude. That's just ridiculous. Some people have real things to worry about. Talk about the entitlement age.
Well, perhaps the day you start buying expensive and FAST SSD - you are going to feel VERY differently about this..
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymusic View Post
I see. On the Mac, all their plug-ins live inside the Softube installer application, that application is installed into Macintosh HD/Applications/.

After installing the desired plug-ins, this app is easy to get rid of - just put it in the trash and empty the trash.
Correct... I deleted the app and the plugs are working..
I just wish they would state stuff like this prior to installation..

Anyway, let us hope that they don't build more plug-ins - imagine if Softube had 10 times as many... Then one would need buy a new hard drive JUST to use Softube ;-)
Old 4th January 2016
RTR
Lives for gear

I go to my softube account and my plugins show up on their own, I just download the installer for each one. Then again I only have their MICRo series
Old 4th January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Well, perhaps the day you start buying expensive and FAST SSD - you are going to feel VERY differently about this..
At normal consumer prices most ssd's are at about $3-4 per gigabyte. Are you seriously complaining over literally, a few dollars?

Also, as others have mentioned, just install the ones you want, if the above price is too much.
Old 4th January 2016
Gear Maniac

At least they don't show on your dropdown list of plugins like iKmultimedia. You have to scroll through a bunch of crap you don't own (or want) to get to what you're looking for. And btw tried removing them from the Avid plugin folder and then the whole system won't load.
Old 4th January 2016
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
So I purchased the great sounding ChannelStrips from Softube.
They take up about 100MB in my Plug-In folder.

What wonders me the most if why Softube wants to waste my expensive SSD space by forcing me to install their entire collection of plugs rather than just the two I want to use...

In my case to use 100Mb worth of Software I have a big fat package called Softube in my Applications folder taking up a whopping 1.3 GB of Space...

How on EARTH can Softube justify this ?
Are they really THAT desperate for me to test their other plugs
yeah it's bad, and furthermore it even forces you to install ALL versions on top of that, AU, VST, VST3 AND AAX

It's actually driving me away from softube, my portable build doesn't have the ssd space to waste - and even if you delete the versions you don't want, if you add a single plugin to your arsenal, it reinstalls everything on the right (activated) side. Totally carefree about expensive SSD space.. 2 gigs for a few plugins.

Anyway they won't answer my email about WHY 5 years on, the FET still doesn't report it's look ahead latency to the DAW so it compensate (and therefore be used on multi tracked drums properly without phase issues), so i think i am just over them once and for all. I have spoken to them multiple times about the issue, at first they said DAW's did not support variable PDC, a couple years later i gave them examples of 5 daws and a few plugins that had wildly varying latency, and that they reported it to the daw and how the DAW's all compensated them perfectly (ozone is a perfect example), they said yes things have changed we will check this again, but once again no change 3 years later. They didn't answer my email from over a week ago this time.. They just don't care to program the most simple, arbitrary coding task imaginable (a couple hours work), but release new stuff all the time (their transient thing and heartbeat are overpriced and outclassed anyway).

Like some other devs, all about the money and not helping solve current customer issues.

I am sure they have had plenty of complaints about the installer - but again, no change.

Can't wait to ditch absolutely all my softube stuff from my ilok

EDIT: I just read more replies that on mac you can delete the main app after install, so i presume deleting plugins would be ok too, from the formats you don't use. That's tolerable as a workaround.

Last edited by TNM; 4th January 2016 at 08:03 PM..
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear

@ TNM

While I hate the installer waste... I have NOT found anything behaving more like its hardware counterpart than the LydKraft CL1-B.
I love and adore it. So I am not looking to ditch great sound because of poor judgement in its installation ;-)
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear
Samsung Evo...... $179.99.... 500GB.

You're complaining about $0.36. (and yes, I rounded up for you).

Edited: sorry, you said 1.3GB. So $0.358 x 1.3 = $0.47
Old 4th January 2016
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
@ TNM

While I hate the installer waste... I have NOT found anything behaving more like its hardware counterpart than the LydKraft CL1-B.
I love and adore it. So I am not looking to ditch great sound because of poor judgement in its installation ;-)
fair enough, i can't find any use out of that plugin at all. We all have different tastes. The tubetech channel is one i do own, and will be selling for sure, even before the installer started bothering me.
Old 4th January 2016
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post

You are not getting it... it's about installing daw's and tons of plugins on a 240 drive and not having the GB to actually spare.

When we buy a macbook and to go from 256 gb to 512 is over 600$ and like $1200 to go to a TB.. then many of us just go for the 256 for our program drive.

That fills up VERY fast.

Heck my previous drive was 750 and i had 11 GB left by the time i changed machine... there is no point wasting space for any reason, in any situation, even if you have the 1tb flash drives.
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Exactly. Just imagine what people would have said if they had all of these great tools available 10 years ago at this quality and for this price. And now they bitch about hard drive space - and 1 GB of space at that. The Internet age really has infected a lot of people. If for some reason that's too much, then there are plenty of alternatives. 1 GB of root drive space is simply not significant. I have a 500 GB SSD root drive and have never filled more than half of it up over the last 5 years. And I run a professional studio cranking out hundreds of productions a year. For those who run out of room, I'm guessing Softube plugins are pretty near the least responsible.
Old 4th January 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Not so fast. I am a huge Softube fan, but I also don't have any spare GB on my MBA. I'd rather install another Rhodes library or similar, than having useless plugins or a redundant installer on my HD.
Old 4th January 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Thanks to this thread, I just deleted over 2GB of unused Softube stuff...

The AU plugins still work without a hitch.
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
You are not getting it... it's about installing daw's and tons of plugins on a 240 drive and not having the GB to actually spare.

When we buy a macbook and to go from 256 gb to 512 is over 600$ and like $1200 to go to a TB.. then many of us just go for the 256 for our program drive.

That fills up VERY fast.

Heck my previous drive was 750 and i had 11 GB left by the time i changed machine... there is no point wasting space for any reason, in any situation, even if you have the 1tb flash drives.
I get what you're saying. I just feel it's a petty complaint... with a simple fix at that.

Sample libraries are usually the main culprit of space... so most people use externals if they have limited laptop space. 1GB is not a lot of space. If you're short on space, Softube is not the problem. You probably need to downsize elsewhere on the hard drive.... or expand so your setup meets the requirements of the tools.
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Well, 500GB as a System Drive. Is NOT very much when taking into consideration that one has Samples, Movies, Photos, Documents and all kinds of stuff. I have 1TB of Internal Apple SSD which is VERY little and ALWAYS full... Yes I do a lot of Video Acquisition as well as Audio and I like to keep a slim and MOBILE system.

There are MANY scenarios where software vendors could just turn on their head and actually think an inch beyond the screen in which they dwell in front of... I.e. Native Instruments installs a PDF in 6 Different Languages for EACH of their plug-ins... Without Asking.. Japanese, French, German and what NOT on an English system... go figure. It is beyond my imagination WHY someone would be so insensitive to their paying clients... Anyway, in the case of NI the PDFs I did NOT need and NEVER asked for to be installed made a grand total of 2.8 GB. PDF Manual Mind you...

Softube in that regard is a kitten. Nevertheless, if ALL software vendors were as careless as NI, UA and Softube we would not be able to go mobile...

Fortunately there are vendors that DO use their head !
Old 4th January 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Guys, keep it up. I just deleted another half a GB in NI documentation from my MBA... I'd never given those files a second thought.

Anything else?
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear

People justifying lazy developers
Old 5th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Anything else?
Got Melda? I haven't checked recently but in the past I found a lot of unwanted c... from them on my computer.
Old 5th January 2016
Lives for gear

I agree there is no reason to have the Softube Installer install itself in the application folder. I think that is kind of lazy on Softube's part although their installer application is really awesome other than that (well and the fact you can't select format). Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Softube fan! I own every plug they sell (except Console 1). Also somebody mentioned McDSP and individual installers, but I am pretty sure that is only the case for them on PC, on Mac they have a single installer. I think the worst offender regarding installers that I have dealt with so far is Plugin Alliance who sell like 60 something plugins and have yet to implement a system like Softube has which easily lets you select and install the plugins you want to all at once - instead of what they have which is either you install them all at once or just one at a time. That is a serious pain when you have 40 something out of the 60 something they sell (like I do). I personally find deleting the Softube application much easier and faster than manually installing several individual plugs from the same company over and over.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search