The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Softube Costs a LOT more than the Price of its Plug-In
Old 6th January 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post

Do you have any idea how closely this very forum is being monitored by vendors ;-)

I do yeah, I used to beta test for a bunch of hardware and plugins back before targeted ads were added to the site, and understand how important it is...

It's just nice to see things discussed more than some of the rants that pop up and don't have a question added or actually idea on how to improve the issue at hand...
Old 8th January 2016
Lives for gear
"Softube Costs a LOT more than the Price of its Plug-In"

It doesn't... it only costs less than a dollar more and some anxiety issues lol :D
Old 19th February 2016
Lives for gear

You are aware that the installer does NOT install any plugins you NOT select (only the list you choose, on the right)?

If you don't use AAX, delete the whole folder (takes about 2 sec of your life).
If you don't use Vst2 or Vst3, delete the whole folder/all dlls (takes about 2 sec of your life).

Have you ever wanted a single installer from other vendors of which you have multiple/all plugins?

Western World Whining
Old 19th February 2016
Heb
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
This is the reason why I didn't install their free saturation plugin.
If you use VST you can copy/save the dll and uninstall everything and paste the dll in you plugin folder. That worked for me.
Old 19th February 2016
Gear Addict

If you can't afford the cost of 1gb of storage in 2016 how the hell can you afford to buy plugins/software/instruments?

Storage is sooooooo cheap this is nonsense.
Old 19th February 2016
I totally agree with OP on this one. If you use something like a Retina MacBook Pro, the real estate of that tiny 256Gb non-upgradable SSD is very limited, and I certainly don't want "dead weight" such as the Softube installer hanging around. In the case of the Softube installer, it's very easy to delete both in OSX and Windows but there are other companies that make it a lot harder.

(The title of this thread is a bit clickbait-ish, but the assessment is correct)
Old 19th February 2016
BOP
Gear Addict
Nah, IT incompetence costs more than the price of an external raid enclosure with TB's worth of fast storage.

You are expected to optimize your own system with these type of tools - even toys and computer games require more adjustments to often make them even begin to work than deleting some files you don't want.

But hey, it's good to hear that you can warrant space for "movies", afterall entertainment of the operator comes first on a production machine of any sort.
Old 19th February 2016
Honestly for me personally I love the Softube plugins and have almost every plugin except the Guitar Amp stuff. I just install what I own then delete whatever I am not using. Go in and delete the certain files that u don't need. There installers are really great. The Software itself for me is stable as hell. I usually go in to my system and files I don't use anyway just to keep it clean. In my opinion there plugins outweigh this minor issue for me. The quality of there stuff is top notch.
Old 19th February 2016
Lives for gear

Cost of disk space aside, I have to vote NO to devs installing their whole catalog on my machine when I just want to install ONE plugin.

Imagine ALL the companies you buy from started to do this. Would you be annoyed?
Old 20th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yutaka View Post
Cost of disk space aside, I have to vote NO to devs installing their whole catalog on my machine when I just want to install ONE plugin.

Imagine ALL the companies you buy from started to do this. Would you be annoyed?
But Softube don't.

They install those you choose, those you select to go to the right column.

But they do install all versions (Vst2, Vst3 and AXX) of said selection, which is very easy to remove (takes a couple of seconds).

PS. It looks like it's installing the whole lot, but that's just preparing for install. Nothing is installed before your selection is done (select as few or as many you want).

With Softube it is a non-issue
Old 20th February 2016
For chrissakes @ BM Grabber , this whole thread is about Softube copying Gigabytes of software onto our hard drive that we didn't ask for and don't need. End of story.
Old 20th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post
For chrissakes @ BM Grabber , this whole thread is about Softube copying Gigabytes of software onto our hard drive that we didn't ask for and don't need. End of story.
But they don't................. If you choose to install ONE plugin, it's just what it does (but in all formats - which could be optimized).

Before you get to the activation window it DOES NOT install anything. It installs just what you choose to authorize (sometimes the White Amp demo - a dll or a vst3, KB I guess).
Everything up to that point is just install preperations.
Old 20th February 2016
I said "copy". I am not talking about installing. Are you on OSX or Windows?

Did you read this?: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11587090-post9.html
Old 20th February 2016
Lives for gear

I'm on Windows...

Ok. To meet you halfway..... Yes and No

PS. I don't worry, as I have almost all Softube plugins.
And I always delete the Vst2 folder (I use Vst3), the AXX folder, the SXX folder (which I believe is the "link" between Console 1 and the Eqs and Comps that can be inserted directly into C1).

I for certain could be happy with an installer in which I could choose the plugin format to install
Old 20th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post
Yep. I delete the whole Softube folder from Program Files after install:
C:\Program Files\Softube\Plug-Ins VST AAX 64-bit\Resources
Old 20th February 2016
Lives for gear
Thanks to this thread, I now know that Softube is the real real enemy.

Old 20th February 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Joking aside, Softube really doesn't strike me as a company with nefarious intentions - quite the opposite. In my dealings with them, I always got a positive vibe.

Installing the humungous app with all plugins inside, I would think, makes it easier for Softube to simplify installation and authorisation *for them*. I guess there'll be less support tickets this way. Perhaps they haven't quite considered that HD space is rather limited for laptop users, and that their numbers are growing.

The app is easy enough to delete, though. People that are bothered by it can always drop Softube a note.
Old 20th February 2016
Lives for gear

I very much dislike when companies make you download their whole catalog. At home I have a fast connection but at the office it's rather slow, and I hate when there's an update and I have to download that huge file for the few megabytes of Softube plugins I own.

I really don't get the "who cares, hard drive space is cheap" argument. If developers have that attitude too, the size of our software will grow at the same rate as our hard drives do. Lazy, bloated programming is why I have to download a 500MB file for my freaking printer driver!

I don't consider Softube to be "bloatware" but I do think every developer needs to leave as small of a footprint as possible on our machines — using the least resources possible. The fact that computers keep getting faster or that hard drives get cheaper really shouldn't be a factor IMO. For now I will keep extracting the .dll and .vst3 files that I need and discard the rest.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search